Speculation: Alexander Radulov Thread | Successfully Swam The Atlantic | Where Will He Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hate the Russian character assassination bias too but let's not gloss over the actual things that have happened. KHL fans even admit Radulov gets away with a ton of ****.

No doubt, but it's not much worse than what many of our 90's heroes got away with, Claude and Blake have been much more despicable; and nothing compared to star athletes in many other sports (like the 90s Cowboys...all of them...). He's an overly passionate guy and that leads to a lot of hotheadedness; with his great on ice play and physicality boosting that ego on top of that, he's certainly not your cookie-cutter-NHLer or an easy guy to utilize.

But the way he's described, and the contempt expressed towards him are insanely out of proportion; it's as if people are personally offended by him leaving for the KHL. If he were a good ole canadian boy who had shined the playoffs for a big club a lot of that would get glossed over, like it was for Carter and Richards when Philly shipped them out.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Here's a video of the highlights from this year's Gagarin Cup West finals. A lot of Radulov in there. It's crazy how talented he is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That celebration used to be Radulov's trademark back in junior. Everyone probably took it from him. We used to have a team in the Q for 3 or 4 years and I went to about 90% of the games. Radulov is easily the best player to play in that league during those years. Probably followed by Giroux.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
IIRC, Fedorov stripped him of the C because he's immature [MOD].

In fairness that was in 2013. It's not like it's a surprise that Radulov is not captain of the year material, but word is he's gotten a lot better lately and, while still enigmatic, has been more manageable and helpful to teammates. The great thing if he were to join us is that he wouldn't really be relied on to take a high captaincy role. We have guys like Dutchy, Iggy, Tangs, Landy, EJ, and Beauch for that. He just has to go out and do his thing and listen to Roy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In fairness that was in 2013. It's not like it's a surprise that Radulov is not captain of the year material, but word is he's gotten a lot better lately and, while still enigmatic, has been more manageable and helpful to teammates. The great thing if he were to join us is that he wouldn't really be relied on to take a high captaincy role. We have guys like Dutchy, Iggy, Tangs, Landy, EJ, and Beauch for that. He just has to go out and do his thing and listen to Roy.

I don't follow the KHL at all so I don't know but I kinda doubt he has changed a whole lot. That's okay though,[mod]. It shouldn't be too bad as long as his teammates don't hate him and he doesn't take stupid penalties. Maybe he'll change at some point like Jagr eventually did. Jagr is seen as a leader and great teammate now but it was the opposite of that in his later Pens and Caps days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think the question in that case would be would that take pressure off him to not be the face of the team and allow him to thrive, or would it allow him to return to being immature and a distraction to the team?

Ovi has had similar issues IMO being so enigmatic and emotional during games that I think it's been part of the reason Washington hasn't been able to take that next step with him. I noticed a big change in his demeanor this year in the NHL where he wasn't throwing fits on the ice, and he seemed more willing to delegate to his teammates on the ice. When the camera focused on him on the bench as his team was about to be eliminated after he all but promised victory, he took it like a leader with his head up. He also was one of a handful of Russian players at the Worlds that stayed on the ice in the gold medal game until the anthems, while everyone else left. The old Ovi might have left.

Radulov needs to find a similar even keel professionalism to deal with the rollercoaster of an 82 game NHL season and deep playoff run. His constant tantrums on the ice are worrisome to me, but maybe Patrick can make it work.

FoppaForsberg*

He's a major red flag of a player to me. I'd much rather take a chance on next years UFA crop then take on this headcase.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd still take him because of how talented he is. It's hard not to if he really does want to come back to the NHL and play for Roy again. I wouldn't give him a long-term deal though.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
No doubt, but it's not much worse than what many of our 90's heroes got away with, Claude and Blake have been much more despicable; and nothing compared to star athletes in many other sports (like the 90s Cowboys...all of them...). He's an overly passionate guy and that leads to a lot of hotheadedness; with his great on ice play and physicality boosting that ego on top of that, he's certainly not your cookie-cutter-NHLer or an easy guy to utilize.

But the way he's described, and the contempt expressed towards him are insanely out of proportion; it's as if people are personally offended by him leaving for the KHL. If he were a good ole canadian boy who had shined the playoffs for a big club a lot of that would get glossed over, like it was for Carter and Richards when Philly shipped them out.

Blake?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I'm interested in Radulov because of how talented he is and how well he did with Roy. I believe Roy can get him to calm down the attitude and just play hockey. I personally doubt we'll find someone in FA next year that will have thatkind of talent and goal scoring ability, IMO thats the next thing we need is a goal scoring winger, which will allow Iggy to play a lesser role in 16-17.

Grigorenko-Duchene-Radulov
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Comeau-Soderberg-Iginla

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Ask Peter Muller about "gentleman" Rob Blake. :rant:

man give me a break. Im an Avs fan but Landeskog, Iginla, Stuart etc have all made hits like that. It may have been a borderline hit but what physical defensmen hasnt had a hit like that in their career. Its a rough game and too bad mueller was prone to concussions. But if blake was still on the avs you guys would be saying that it was clean.

If we want to be mad at players lets take it out on the matt cookes or the todd bertuzzis the players that were truly dirty.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
man give me a break. Im an Avs fan but Landeskog, Iginla, Stuart etc have all made hits like that. It may have been a borderline hit but what physical defensmen hasnt had a hit like that in their career. Its a rough game and too bad mueller was prone to concussions. But if blake was still on the avs you guys would be saying that it was clean.

If we want to be mad at players lets take it out on the matt cookes or the todd bertuzzis the players that were truly dirty.

Back was turned, forearm thrusted with velocity into Mueller's back while he's got some space between himself and the boards. Wasn't clean at all, don't care if he was on the Sharks or Avs or any other team.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Calling Blake despicable because he hit Mueller is a bit much, he also doesn't belong in a category with Pepe, that's reserved for Hunter's, Kaspar's and Linseman's of this world.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's a video of the highlights from this year's Gagarin Cup West finals. A lot of Radulov in there. It's crazy how talented he is.

I don't watch many interviews with players, but man, that makes that game 7 loss all the more brutal. Alex is such a passionate guy, and with how his career has gone, I have no doubts about his sincerity when he talks about how much it hurt to let down their fans who lived and breathed ZSKA throughout the year. It's always cool to see how much a person changes in their mid-to-later 20s.

Nevermind that he'd be our best skater until MacK broke out fully; Duchene and Radulov are going to put Benn-Seguin to shame.

PS Ending the Pirate's career was far from the only dirty hit Blake delivered in his career.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't watch many interviews with players, but man, that makes that game 7 loss all the more brutal. Alex is such a passionate guy, and with how his career has gone, I have no doubts about his sincerity when he talks about how much it hurt to let down their fans who lived and breathed ZSKA throughout the year. It's always cool to see how much a person changes in their mid-to-later 20s.

Nevermind that he'd be our best skater until MacK broke out fully; Duchene and Radulov are going to put Benn-Seguin to shame.

PS Ending the Pirate's career was far from the only dirty hit Blake delivered in his career.

Lets turn it down a notch shall we?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Putting Seguin-Benn to shame was exaggeration, true; though I did just got to enjoy listening to a Stars fan IRL explaining how loaded they were and how the were going to rep the West this year since Chicaga/LA/Anaheim are going to be weak.

But Rads would be our best skater with little doubt; and I've been dreaming about how beautifully he and Duchene would compliment each other since that last stint with the Preds. They'd be as deadly as any duo in the league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I don't know if they'd be better than Seguin/Benn but I would say he's right about him being out best player (outside varly of course which is why he used the term skater).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia