Speculation: Alexander Radulov Thread | Successfully Swam The Atlantic | Where Will He Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Radulov is the best player outside the NHL and would be a huge addition to any team that gets him. He was very good in his short stint with Nashville when he briefly came back, hands down their best player. He is a headcase, but if there is anyone that could put him in his place if he ever acted up, it's Roy.

I would expect Colorado to have the inside track at signing him when he becomes a free agent. But it won't be cheap because the KHL will throw all the Rubles at him to stay. The nice thing is that he will be available to be signed as soon as his season in Russia is done, which could be as early as March.

Lemieux22

Jul 30, 2005
The nice thing is that he will be available to be signed as soon as his season in Russia is done, which could be as early as March.

Wow, I forgot about that. Wouldn't he make a lovely playoff stretch addition? Would love to see him with Grigorenko on the PP

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But it won't be cheap because the KHL will throw all the Rubles at him to stay.

thats a lot of ruble :laugh:

9a60716b6637dc2d2f0636eeab69c4f0.png

FoppaForsberg*

Anything that risks our core I wouldn't touch him. If we were to sign him, I would want him on short term, one or two year deal for 4.5 - 5M. If it wasn't for his major personality and off ice issues I'd LOVE to have him, but I don't want a guy to come in and disrupt the locker room and culture we're trying to establish.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Anything that risks our core I wouldn't touch him. If we were to sign him, I would want him on short term, one or two year deal for 4.5 - 5M. If it wasn't for his major personality and off ice issues I'd LOVE to have him, but I don't want a guy to come in and disrupt the locker room and culture we're trying to establish.

I believe the target culture is a "winning culture"
Radulov on the team would certainly promote that culture

you've all seen what happens when you stack a team with "locker room guys" like talbot and mcleod. theres a point where you have to learn to deal with players with egos if you want to win championships

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I believe the target culture is a "winning culture"
Radulov on the team would certainly promote that culture

you've all seen what happens when you stack a team with "locker room guys" like talbot and mcleod. theres a point where you have to learn to deal with players with egos if you want to win championships

Could not agree more. "He doesn't fit the culture" was apparently the statement bandied about in Boston to justify trading Tyler Seguin. However I do believe in some very extreme cases some players truly can be disruptive in a way that negates whatever they bring to the table as a positive.

But yes, absolutely, "good in the room" is quite possibly the most overrated characteristic valued by front offices.

In the end, if Roy thinks he can make it work and Rads wants another go at it, fine. But I just don't think the guy is worth the trouble, nor is he worth the hype.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Locker room cancer has a ton to do with talent as well. When you have the talent of a Patrick Kane or Tyler Seguin, you can be a disruption and still be valuable to a team. Also, degree and type of disruption matter as well...if you have a few minor off ice issues, and are late a couple times, that i not that big a deal to me; fooling around with a teammate's wife is another story. So if you are a superstar talent, and occasionally act like a child, coach gets paid enough to deal with it. But if your talent level and cancer stage is more Sean Avery + Stage 4...you need to be gone.

Rads might be a handful, but Roy would not bring him over if he could not handle him. And his talent is easily worth the hassle. Term and $$ are debatable, given our other needs..but I bet something could be worked out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Radulov where named Joe Smith he would get called a passionate player who plays with his heart on his sleeve. Since he's got a villain's last name he gets called a locker-room cancer who's bad for the image of a league that lets Voynov, Ribiero, Bertuzzi and Cooke cash checks.

No matter what you call him he's an exceptional hockey player who would be amazing to add to our young core.

member 116861

If Radulov where named Joe Smith he would get called a passionate player who plays with his heart on his sleeve. Since he's got a villain's last name he gets called a locker-room cancer who's bad for the image of a league that lets Voynov, Ribiero, Bertuzzi and Cooke cash checks.

No matter what you call him he's an exceptional hockey player who would be amazing to add to our young core.

I think he would still be hated if he was Canadian. A lot of Canadians that are pieces of **** are hated around the league. BUT having a Russian last name makes it so much worse for him. Reading comments about him, you would think he is like one of the guys you listed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
thats a lot of ruble :laugh:

9a60716b6637dc2d2f0636eeab69c4f0.png

You know it is bad for the ruble when that number is AFTER a rebound... it was down to .014 at one point this spring.

For those that don't keep track of currencies... the past few years prior to the sanctions and the Ukraine situation... the Ruble was around .03-.035 mostly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Radulov still gets paid in US dollars though right?

The KHL contracts are in rubles... there seems to be a point where they lock in an exchange rate for some players, but teams abiding by that agreement is a totally different story.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Hard to believe that when Rads signed his KHL contract he was making over $9 Million (US) a year, but now only makes a little over 5. I'm sure that'll be a motivating factor to rejoin the NHL next year...I'd gladly pay him around 6 depending on how the big-3 contracts turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad