Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
REAL goals is the only story that ultimately matters. I appreciate the additional data, but don’t value it much.
I agree that raw goals are what matters in a game to game scenario, but when comparing players from vastly different era's, some type of adjusting needs to be done.

If you don't adjust, then you may as well say that from a goal production standpoint, these below 5 seasons are better than anything Ovechkin has done (not including the 65 goal year). The reality is that 57 goals in 1983 <<< 56 goals in 2009.

PlayerYearGoals
Yzerman199062
Maruk198260
Shutt197760
Kerr198660
Goulet198357
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The whole point is that Ovechkin's 734 is already more impressive than Wayne's 894. The reason for this is due to the adjustments that would be made to make it a more fair comparison.

Reactions: Leafslet

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wayne Gretzky is the most impressive hockey player ever, in any era. But I would personally rank Ovi 2nd overall, in any era, Bobby Orr* 3rd. And I agree if you changed their careers to be in different era's their respective totals would be different but its not whats relevant to me. When compared to their peers in their own era's, Gretzky dominated his peers like no one else except for Ovi who also dominates his peers, over an entire career, not just a few years.

* and I did see Orr play before his injuries slowed him down.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Wayne Gretzky is the most impressive hockey player ever, in any era. But I would personally rank Ovi 2nd overall, in any era, Bobby Orr* 3rd. And I agree if you changed their careers to be in different era's their respective totals would be different but its not whats relevant to me. When compared to their peers in their own era's, Gretzky dominated his peers like no one else except for Ovi who also dominates his peers, over an entire career, not just a few years.

Completely agree that Wayne is the most impressive overall. Goalscoring only though, Ovi is #1. I don't at all agree with Ovi being #2 all-time overall (the best he'll ever be able to get to is #5 imo).

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Is your top 4 above Ovi 99, Howe, Orr, Mario?
Yup, my personal order would be Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe.

5th spot is Ovi's if he breaks the goal record or wins a 10th rocket. The 5th spot is very competitive, and doing either of those two would be enough to give him the edge imo.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

In today's NHL Bobby Orr would be totally off the hook.

Reactions: kicksavedave

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is your top 4 above Ovi 99, Howe, Orr, Mario?

I have a hard time listing any player in the 6 team league/NA/Canadians only era that high. Just like I struggle with pre Jackie Robinson players in MLB.

Mario Lemieux is more like Mickey Mantle or Gale Sayers. Great player that didnt reach his potential because of health, but never the less he didnt reach his potential. This is the same argument about Crosby and Ovechkin. They have the same number of points right now but Crosby has missed many games with injuries. Those lost games work against Crosby. Not for him. Ov's durability works for him. Not against him.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Some stats for everyone:

Ovie had 475 career goals in 760 games after his age 29 season for a .625 goals per game rate. (51.25 goals over 82 game season)

From his age 30 season until today he has 264 goals in 445 games for a .593 goals per game rate. (48.65 goals over 82 game season)

Reactions: Khomutov

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Some stats for everyone:

Ovie had 475 career goals in 760 games after his age 29 season for a .625 goals per game rate. (51.25 goals over 82 game season)

From his age 30 season until today he has 264 goals in 445 games for a .593 goals per game rate. (48.65 goals over 82 game season)
Clearly in decline. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BallardEra

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That´s a very cool stat actually. He´s been the best Capital for 7 years and he´s still the best Capital. Those things don´t happen too often. Granted, the Caps aren´t the Oilers or anything but still a lot of good players have been here.
He’s been the best Capital a lot longer than 7 years. And he will very likely be the best Capital forever.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Why do you think Gretzky was the most impressive player ever?
He had great vision and patience with the puck. Other than that I didn't like the rest of his game at all.
You should also remember that he played at a time when teams weren't defensively responsible. That was before teams really began using a trapping system. Now every team plays some kind of trap system in the neutral zone.
And goaltending was terrible at that time. Remember our goalie tandem of Pat Riggen and Al Jensen winning the William Jennings trophy. Both of those goalies were bad.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think we will ever see a talent like him in DC ever again. Dude is one of a kind. Not just a hall of famer, but he will be known as the best in the game for years to come.
I recently stumbled upon an old interview with Orpik that I'd somehow missed. It was from the Cup run and was about how he was always asked to compare Sid and Ovie and how he thought the whole juxtaposition was stupid and forced. But when pressed he said precisely this. That Ovie is unique. He said that there are other players like Sid (he didn't say "as good" just "similar to") but that there's no one like Ovie. He's a once-in-a-lifetime talent, and we are so fortunate that he has been our captain.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Why do you think Gretzky was the most impressive player ever?
He had great vision and patience with the puck. Other than that I didn't like the rest of his game at all.
You should also remember that he played at a time when teams weren't defensively responsible. That was before teams really began using a trapping system. Now every team plays some kind of trap system in the neutral zone.
And goaltending was terrible at that time. Remember our goalie tandem of Pat Riggen and Al Jensen winning the William Jennings trophy. Both of those goalies were bad.
:facepalm:

giphy.gif

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
Is this Ovie's Final Form?!

- He's on an 82-goal pace for the year (totally sustainable /s)
- Opponents are respecting his shot so he can set up the backdoor slap-pass
- He's making quicker decisions and playing the puck harder on the PP when he's out at the point. Much better than years past when he would just dump it to the corner predictably if his shooting lane was blocked and it would get cleared.
- He is playing arguably the best defense of his career
- He seems to really be embracing fatherhood, and seems quite loose and happy.
- He gave us a hometown deal to finish out his career as the best Capital and the captain of a Stanley Cup winning team
- His passing and vision have improved

TL;DR Can OV really be playing any better?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think Ovechkin really missed having fans and feeds off them. Didn’t he lead the league in goals last time we had fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad