Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
He’s standing next to a mansion. Good Lord!

It’s like that clip on A Football Life when Mean Joe Green was walking across the deck of an aircraft carrier, The backup QB at the time said, “Even though Joe was dwarfed by the machine he walked on, they were both impressive!”

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
My apologies for derailing the thread but I had to share this family gem. Ever since Alex was hit in the mouth on the bench by the puck and shrugged it off, my little Gingers have been making revisionist chuck norris jokes. It only got escalated when Ovie papa bear’d Svech last playoffs.

How blessed your fan base has been to have this guy and how fortunate the rest of us are to have been able to have watched him with our kids through his prime.

Cheers.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA

Great stuff!

I had the good fortune of being in the building in Anaheim when he got his first hat trick. 3-2 OT win with OV scoring all three goals. Still have the ticket stub.

Good to see quotes from the (much maligned) Brian Willsie, OV's roommate that first season. Zuby also. Some of those pics of young Ovechkin are great, too.

What a spectacular ride it's been.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Good stuff. Thanks for that. :)

I still remember his rookie year. I was teaching English in South Korea and I ran into some Nova Scotians in a bar and they were huge Crosby fans. They told me Crosby was going to win the Calder Trophy and Ovechkin wasn’t that good. Blah blah blah.

I told them otherwise and they got so angry they were ready to fight. Lol.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Great read!

Ovie never wanted to get off the ice as a rookie so this one time after practice there is a stick and puck at Piney and he stays on and "plays" a little with us. It is a big deal of course but not the big deal it would have been today.

He shoots this one puck so hard it breaks the goalies stick at the top of the paddle. The goalie, a friend of mine, gets Ovie to sign it and to this day that half a stick hangs in his basement.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bit late but I managed to catch this yesterday. It's very long but is very interesting and shows you how much he went through to adapt to a culture he knew nothing about. He didn't know English and he wanted an American roommate so he could get to know the language better.

Not trying to debate the players but what a difference between this article and the one on Malkin in the Athletic from the beginning of the season.

It's crazy how different their personalities are. Thank god the Caps took Ovie!!

In Moscow, Evgeni Malkin opens up about his lost season,...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The main difference is that Malkin wants to be the lead player on his team instead of the hockey version of Scottie Pippen and Semin was fine being Ov's caddie

If he doesn't want to be #2 to Sid why would he stick around?

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
First off I want to let you folks know how much I appreciate how welcoming you have been to this Canucks fan for dropping into your Team Threads. In my short time here I've found that some others are quite territorial, though most have been like your group.

I was listening to some 2 year & 1 year old podcasts in which Dennis Maruk was talking about his book "The Unforgettable Story of Hockey’s Forgotten 60-Goal Man." I'm sure most of you are aware of it. The fellow who helped him write it is a really funny & knowledgable sports news personality in Canada- Ken Reid. To anyone who hasn't read it, I highly recommend it if you're into back-stories of past NHL players.

Now to the Ovie related part.

Each interview and/or Podcast I've heard or watched Dennis Maruk on he gets asked about when Ovie broke his record and how he felt about it, etc. It never fails to impress me how down to earth Dennis is each time he speaks about Ovie. Dennis explains how he was on the edge of his seat and watching or listening to each Caps game leading up to Ovie chasing the record and cheering him on, loving the way he plays & the passion he brought back to Washington.

According to Ken Reid, there isn't a display in the Capital One Arena which has both 60 Goal men side by side.

I think it would be really cool if one day they did some kind of tribute to Past & Present like that. Dennis with his big Fu Man Chu 'stache & Ovie with his old tinted visor.

Cheers

P.S. Please accept my apologies if a display has been put up and my information is out of date.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
First off I want to let you folks know how much I appreciate how welcoming you have been to this Canucks fan for dropping into your Team Threads. In my short time here I've found that some others are quite territorial, though most have been like your group.

I was listening to some 2 year & 1 year old podcasts in which Dennis Maruk was talking about his book "The Unforgettable Story of Hockey’s Forgotten 60-Goal Man." I'm sure most of you are aware of it. The fellow who helped him write it is a really funny & knowledgable sports news personality in Canada- Ken Reid. To anyone who hasn't read it, I highly recommend it if you're into back-stories of past NHL players.

Now to the Ovie related part.

Each interview and/or Podcast I've heard or watched Dennis Maruk on he gets asked about when Ovie broke his record and how he felt about it, etc. It never fails to impress me how down to earth Dennis is each time he speaks about Ovie. Dennis explains how he was on the edge of his seat and watching or listening to each Caps game leading up to Ovie chasing the record and cheering him on, loving the way he plays & the passion he brought back to Washington.

According to Ken Reid, there isn't a display in the Capital One Arena which has both 60 Goal men side by side.

I think it would be really cool if one day they did some kind of tribute to Past & Present like that. Dennis with his big Fu Man Chu 'stache & Ovie with his old tinted visor.

Cheers

P.S. Please accept my apologies if a display has been put up and my information is out of date.

Thanks for that. Maruk was awesome, back in the day. 60 goals and 136 points.

It was also cool how he was there when Ovie scored his 61st. :)

And you are always welcome here. You are polite and knowledgeable. :)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Great stuff!

I had the good fortune of being in the building in Anaheim when he got his first hat trick. 3-2 OT win with OV scoring all three goals. Still have the ticket stub.

Good to see quotes from the (much maligned) Brian Willsie, OV's roommate that first season. Zuby also. Some of those pics of young Ovechkin are great, too.

What a spectacular ride it's been.

I was at that game in Anaheim also, first time I saw him live. It was hard to imagine then just how his career would unfold, but the people all around me seemed to all sense we were watching someone special.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Another's Caps win and another Ovie goal. 675 career goals now. Wow!
His PP goal was his 255th of his career, tied with Teemu Selanne for 3rd all time. 20 more to be first all time.

Ovie also passes Marcel Dionne for 3rd all time in shots taken.

History in the making.
Enjoy him while you can folks. :)

Reactions: Calicaps and max21

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
IMG_20191130_093021_821.jpg

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
3 goals and 1 assist for Ovie tonight. +4

Up to 678 career goals.

Passes Peter Stastny for 38th all time in points scored. Now up to 1,242 career points.

Also, his 20th goal of the season means he has 15 consecutive 20 goal seasons to start his career. Got to be an exclusive club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad