Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
What's everyone's consensus on Ovi breaking 99's goal record? Given his history, lack of injuries and absolutely insane scoring pace to start the year, it's only a matter of time for me. The real question is whether he can do it by the time he's 40. Thoughts?

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
He’s got it locked up based on his current ability to still score, and comparing him to Jagr’s ability age 39+, should he need the extra years, he will be able to pot enough goals to stretch it out. Avoiding injury is all he needs.

Shame Jagr didn’t play in the NHL age 36-38 to compare... but I think these are very comparable scorers, very comparable athletically, and my opinion is Ovi > Jagr, slightly.

So Ovi passes Gretzky, If he wants to.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s got it locked up based on his current ability to still score, and comparing him to Jagr’s ability age 39+, should he need the extra years, he will be able to pot enough goals to stretch it out. Avoiding injury is all he needs.

Shame Jagr didn’t play in the NHL age 36-38 to compare... but I think these are very comparable scorers, very comparable athletically, and my opinion is Ovi > Jagr, slightly.

So Ovi passes Gretzky, If he wants to.

It's a shame Jagr didn't show up all those years he was taking money from Ted

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What's everyone's consensus on Ovi breaking 99's goal record? Given his history, lack of injuries and absolutely insane scoring pace to start the year, it's only a matter of time for me. The real question is whether he can do it by the time he's 40. Thoughts?

The difference between 800 and 900 is significant. 800 is almost a given, and then nobody will question Ovi anymore. Will he find enough motivation?

Injuries can happen too.

Best thing he can do (and I already said that a year ago or smth) - get to ~760 in the end of season 2020-21 (when his current contract expires). That's 36 years old practically. At that point he will know much better if his body likes the grind still.

A lot of games left.

He can get 800+ and retire.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Until last year I always said no way, no chance. Now, who knows? He keeps scoring 50 every year, and it looks like he has a great chance to do it again.

So I'm starting to think he CAN do it. That doesn't mean he WILL do it. Does he really want to stay here grinding out 20-30 goal seasons until he's 40+? It doesn't sound like it from his public comments.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

30% chance IMO.

Comparing raw stats between the high scoring era and now is not indicative though. By any indicative measure, Ovie will blow Gretzky out of the water in terms of career goals scored.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Hitting 800, catching Howe at 801 and taking #2 outright at 802 are the (realistic) numbers I'd love him to get to.
Which could happen at the end of 2021-22 season (very doubtful) if he can manage 47g average
Add another 3 seasons to break The Record in 2024-25 is a tall tall order;
no one can predict 6 seasons ahead, where his head will be, his body, his game, his desire after 20+ seasons

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Just another multi goal game for Ovie. *Ho hum*

2 goals 1 assist and 3 points +1 and 8 shots on goal. Throw in 2 hits, as well.

Ovechkin now 39th all time in points scored with 1,233, passing Phil Housley.

Tied with some guy named Crosby, as well. ;)

Also of note, Ovie now has 199 more goals than any other Capital.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ive noticed the last few years that Ovechkin is bringing new elements of his game each year. Like going to the net for more rebounds and deflections. Passing more of his scoring chances away. My theory is that he has had these elements at his disposal all along but didn't use them. As his game evolves he reveals more of his reserve.

I also think this new Reirden system plays right into what Ov does. His shots on goal and scoring chance rates are ridiculous. You can make a fair case that he is better now than 5 years ago. How can he regress when he continues to improve?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ive noticed the last few years that Ovechkin is bringing new elements of his game each year. Like going to the net for more rebounds and deflections. Passing more of his scoring chances away. My theory is that he has had these elements at his disposal all along but didn't use them. As his game evolves he reveals more of his reserve.

I also think this new Reirden system plays right into what Ov does. His shots on goal and scoring chance rates are ridiculous. You can make a fair case that he is better now than 5 years ago. How can he regress when he continues to improve?

The best coaches build around the talent they have. A more aggressive, attacking style is right in Ovie's wheelhouse. :)

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
upload_2019-11-11_16-30-34.gif

Long time lurker, relatively newer member coming in peace. I’ve had a “Respected Players (Current) Thread going on the Main Board. Ovie has been mentioned by many of the other fan bases and I just wanted to share some positive thoughts. Full disclosure:I’ve liked your captain ever since the sliding on his back goal in Phoenix. I loved him when I saw this exchange with Carey.

Cheers from the West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad