Prospect Info: Alexander Holtz (#7 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So his season fell off a cliff after Josefson got hurt. And he shot 4% on the PP and has 2 PP goals over the last 2 seasons. I’m not sure how someone with the best shot in the draft supposedly can shoot that low of a percentage.
His shot is overated, it’s not elite or anything. He has a pretty good shot which he uses a lot from pretty much anywhere. More quantity than quality.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
His shot is overated, it’s not elite or anything. He has a pretty good shot which he uses a lot from pretty much anywhere. More quantity than quality.

i don't want to get into what the difference between 'pretty good shot' and 'elite shot' is, but from what i've seen i'll disagree. his release is a thing of beauty and will only get better. same with accuracy. i can't wait to see what he does on jack's wing

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The few PP’s that I’ve seen him on stink. He stand still in the Ovechkin role; everyone else also stands still and then eventually he tries to hammer a one time through 2 defenders and a totally square to him goalie.

Nobody could have scored on PPs being run like that. They appeared to have 1 option and the other team knew that option.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
Reading that article, I come away with:

1.) Djugardens is a clusterf***
2.) Holtz has show mild improvement this season
3.) Holtz still has some things to work on

I generally think Europe does a pretty good job developing players so I have no problem having them staying over there, but if he's not getting that, then it might be time to bring him here.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not panicking about Holtz going into a slump in his draft+1 season. First off, he's a goal scorer -- they tend to run hot and cold. Second of all, his complete game is not bad -- like some goal-scorers -- so it's not as if he's useless when not scoring. Of course, you want him to score, but he's not a liability or anchor if he's not. Lastly, his team looks like a bit of a dumpster fire right now.

I might be the only prospect guy ranking Dawson Mercer as the Devils #1 prospect, but I've got zero gripes with Alexander Holtz. He's going to be a top 6 goal-scorer at the NHL level, I'm extremely confident of that and I've been doing this for many, many years.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Look how off the Devils are currently after having getting the Vid and being out two weeks. All of our prospects that played in the WJC have been through a multitude of Quarantines. It’s unprecedented.

Half of them have sustained injuries. It’s obviously tough.

Reactions: Darkauron

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm not panicking about Holtz going into a slump in his draft+1 season. First off, he's a goal scorer -- they tend to run hot and cold. Second of all, his complete game is not bad -- like some goal-scorers -- so it's not as if he's useless when not scoring. Of course, you want him to score, but he's not a liability or anchor if he's not. Lastly, his team looks like a bit of a dumpster fire right now.

I might be the only prospect guy ranking Dawson Mercer as the Devils #1 prospect, but I've got zero gripes with Alexander Holtz. He's going to be a top 6 goal-scorer at the NHL level, I'm extremely confident of that and I've been doing this for many, many years.

ok i'll bite- what gives mercer the edge in your opinion? his all around game?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
ok i'll bite- what gives mercer the edge in your opinion? his all around game?

The simplest way to put it? I see Holtz as a pure goal-scorer who has a decent all-around game while Mercer is going to have an elite all-around game but also score. I just prefer the two-way, physical 30-30-60, stud on the PK or PP, center-or-wing, playing the last minute of a close game whether ahead or behind guy to the 40-30-70 PP whiz. Or, in more translatable language, I feel Mercer goes to the Mark Stone school while Holtz goes to the Patrick Laine school. I feel Mercer's chances of becoming the next Stone are higher than Holtz's chances of reaching Laine's scoring acumen, and anyway I prefer Stone to Laine as a player.

Both Mercer and Holtz are tremendous prospects for the Devils. Best case scenario, they both at least approach their ceilings and become key cogs in the Devils future success. But to me, I'd give Mercer the edge as the Devils top prospect.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Reading that article, I come away with:

1.) Djugardens is a clusterf***
2.) Holtz has show mild improvement this season
3.) Holtz still has some things to work on

Djurgården has been a clusterf*** since new years, unfortunately Holtz has by far been the biggest cluster f*** in the team during this time. I don't know what has happened, the only thing going through your mind when someone pass him the puck is f***. Him and Eklund seems to come as a package, whenever Eklund is out there so is Holtz, I don't know why because he is only a burden and in the way. If he's playing through injury it would be better for him and the team to have him sit out, if it's not an injury there is some serious concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown Caller

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Djurgården has been a clusterf*** since new years, unfortunately Holtz has by far been the biggest cluster f*** in the team during this time. I don't know what has happened, the only thing going through your mind when someone passes him is f***. Him and Eklund seems to come as a package, whenever Eklund is out there so is Holtz, I don't know why because he is only a burden and in the way. If he's playing through injury it would be better for him and the team to have him sit out, if it's not an injury there is some serious trouble.

I have managed to catch a couple of games. He does indeed look like trash. Very strange.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Top 6 as in the top of the league in overall scoring or a top 6 (1st or 2nd line) player that scores?

And last two posts have said he has looked like trash and is getting in the way of Eklund?
Just need to draft Eklund then lol.
Serious though , referring to the above posters who said he has looked like garbage... do you wath him play live ? What specifically makes you say he has not been good? What is doing / not doing ?
Did you watch him play last year and has he regressed since then ?

I am thinking that perhaps his and his teams showing at the WJC may have hurt his confidence somewhat.
I just hope he turns it around. If he is stuck in a rut on his current team , hopefully he gets traded or moves to a different team . Is he eligible to come to North America right now to play or ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad