Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He'll win the Calder Cup (BAABAAAY!!), so no.

Yes, I'm worried he can't wait that long. BUT he won't ask for a trade or anything.
I think he knows where he's at. He saw Lundqvist and it sounded like Charly Murphy meeting Rick James the first time. "That aura. I've seen it man."

He would wait, but I fear it would hurt him development-wise. He needs to get NHL games ASAP actually.

"I'm Henrik Lundqvist, b***h! Bahahahaha."

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The Rangers had a six-goalie system under Torts.

Well played. Well played.

source.gif

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Having a three goalie rotation for just one single season seems like the next great thing people will convince themselves they need to be angry about

I'm not worried about that specifically because I seriously doubt it will happen. What I am worried about is losing a good young goalie because we have 3 goalies who need to play in the NHL.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Caps traded Varlamov to the Avalanche on July 1,2011 for a 1st & and 2nd in 2012. The Caps ended up with the 11th pick in the draft and they selected Forsberg.

The Ducks traded Andersen to the Leafs for a 1st in 2016(Pittsburgh's pick from the Kessel trade 30th overall. Anaheim took Sam Steel) and a 2nd round pick in 2017 (Comtois).

Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo for 1st in 2015 which became Colin White.

The Varlamov deal is the best deal for Georgiev.

Reactions: eco's bones

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
The Caps traded Varlamov to the Avalanche on July 1,2011 for a 1st & and 2nd in 2012. The Caps ended up with the 11th pick in the draft and they selected Forsberg.

The Ducks traded Andersen to the Leafs for a 1st in 2016(Pittsburgh's pick from the Kessel trade 30th overall. Anaheim took Sam Steel) and a 2nd round pick in 2017 (Comtois).

That’s the sort of return we should be looking for. Some people would be fine trading him for a mid 2nd round pick which seems like it's not worth it at all. Georgiev could easily help some of these goalie needy teams get 10+ extra points in the standings. He's very young, on a cheap contract, and he's a RFA. I feel like if the Panthers knew that Georgiev would be performing as well as he has been, they would have offered the 15th pick in last year's draft instead of drafting Knight and signing Bobrovsky to that awful contract.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm personally not particularly worried about him waiting this season. I really don't think he'll wait an entire season beyond this though, and I'd be doubtful he'd even go back to Hartford to start next season at all if he has any way to avoid it.

I wouldn't be concerned about this season, especially if they feed him some NHL games, and then send him back down for the AHL playoffs. But I don't think that patience would extend into next season.

That's why I keep coming back to the belief that Georgiev is probably packaged this off-season. Potentially sooner if the right deal came along. But the key part of that statement is "right deal."
I meant waiting until say January 2021.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek discussed the Rangers goaltending situation. The discussion took place towards the end and right before they went to break. The Twitter questions was the final segment. 1:16. The podcast is a long one.

Elliotte said other teams have told him unless the Rangers get a great offer for Georgiev, the Rangers have to find a way to make it work with Georgiev and Shesterkin. Both of them are very good.

They discussed Lundqvist having one more season left on his contract. See ya Hank.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
How do you trade this guy after the last two games against the Islanders? I'm going to be sad to see him go.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
How do you trade this guy after the last two games against the Islanders? .

Well first you have to find another nhl organization that is need of a goalie. This is the job of the General Manager, who listens to offers from the other general managers throughout the league. If a particular team has assets that you are interested in, you can then negotiate a trade until you mutually agree on the conditions.

Reactions: Inferno

Deleted member 23124

How do you trade this guy after the last two games against the Islanders? I'm going to be sad to see him go.
You want to keep him on the results of two games against one team....shouldn't his entire body of work be the overriding criteria?

Deleted member 23124

That’s the sort of return we should be looking for. Some people would be fine trading him for a mid 2nd round pick which seems like it's not worth it at all. Georgiev could easily help some of these goalie needy teams get 10+ extra points in the standings. He's very young, on a cheap contract, and he's a RFA. I feel like if the Panthers knew that Georgiev would be performing as well as he has been, they would have offered the 15th pick in last year's draft instead of drafting Knight and signing Bobrovsky to that awful contract.
All fine and well but Varlamov(sp?) and Anderson were already establish goalies. Georgy is not.

Reactions: haveandare

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
You want to keep him on the results of two games against one team....shouldn't his entire body of work be the overriding criteria?
Then even based on his entire body of work, he's an impressive player especially for 23 years old at his position. He clearly has potential to steal dozens of games over the next decade for whatever team ends up with him.

Clearly Shesterkin has potential to be elite at this level too. It's just a tough situation to be in. The two things that make me lean in Shesterkin's favor are rebound control and puck handling. So I'm not advocating we trade him over Georgiev by any means. But damn... it's going to sting, especially if we do trade Georgiev and he ends up having a better career over the long run.

I just don't want to end up in a DiPietro situation where the Islanders traded Roberto Luongo because of what they thought they had in the prospect only for it to ruin the franchise for a generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
All fine and well but Varlamov(sp?) and Anderson were already establish goalies. Georgy is not.
Georgiev currently has 65 NHL GP, 48 AHL GP

Varlamov, before being traded to the Caps, had 59 NHL GP and 33 AHL GP

Andersen, before being traded to the Leafs, had 125 NHL GP and 51 AHL GP

So...Andersen, definitely established. But if you're considering Varlamov (yes, you spelled correctly) established, then Georgiev is established.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think his performance this year firmly puts him in the "established" category. If he were our somehow our future, I'd feel it's a bright one for the team.

Just to be clear, I think it's bright in any event. This is not a rag on Shesterkin who has been nothing but promising at every opportunity so far. He's clearly a top prospect too.

I just don't think it's wise to bank on someone who dominated at the AHL level instead of someone who has already started to put together an impeccable game at the NHL level. The trade deadline is just too early to trade Georgiev in my humble opinion. And as much as it sucks, I think they should roll 3 goalies this year and regroup over the summer. They're still in a "build" aren't they?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not worried about that specifically because I seriously doubt it will happen. What I am worried about is losing a good young goalie because we have 3 goalies who need to play in the NHL.
No, i beg to differ. We only have 2. The 3rd doesnt NEED a damned thing, other than his intense WANT of playing his preferred competitive sport.

If I step back and take a very long look as to what is going on here, I believe Hank is somewhat diminishing his tenure here.
The "King" has already been dethroned by Georgiev (the Prince) and the Kings son is looking to dethrone AG.

Time to step off the Throne, it is BEST for the Rangers. But he wont, he has that right and we will be forced into losing what certainly will be another teams long term future goaltender.

Our Rangers have been ridiculously spoiled with AMAZING goaltenders over the last 50 years. Especially the last 25.
So yeah, one teams garbage is another mans gold. Sorry AG, not calling you garbage.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And Varlamov was highly regarded. Was Georgie? Yes, Georgie has done more already, but maybe, just maybe we should be getting Georgie the majority of the games so he can be an "absolute", and draw a MUCH better return in an off season trade. He has major value, and trading him for less than would obviously be a mistake. Make a team PAY! PAY hard.....price and demand. So demand it JG!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The problem with Georgiev to the Leafs as far as the Varlamov scenario is the Leafs 1st rounder for the next two years is tied up in the Marleau cap dump thing they did with Carolina......and if the Leafs are a playoff team then it's going to be much later than the 11 overall. Leafs are in real danger of seeing this year's playoff prospects slip away because of their defense which was crippled with the Rielly injury. To me there are only three scenarios for a deal with them--one involves Kapanen where maybe they add a bit and the other involves Nylander where maybe we add a bit......or they can just send us Sandin. One way or another though I don't think with the state their defense corps is in right now that Georgiev is going to make that much difference for them this year. They would have their goalie of the future though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The problem with Georgiev to the Leafs as far as the Varlamov scenario is the Leafs 1st rounder for the next two years is tied up in the Marleau cap dump thing they did with Carolina......and if the Leafs are a playoff team then it's going to be much later than the 11 overall. Leafs are in real danger of seeing this year's playoff prospects slip away because of their defense which was crippled with the Rielly injury. To me there are only three scenarios for a deal with them--one involves Kapanen where maybe they add a bit and the other involves Nylander where maybe we add a bit......or they can just send us Sandin. One way or another though I don't think with the state their defense corps is in right now that Georgiev is going to make that much difference for them this year. They would have their goalie of the future though.

we reportedly aren't looking for a draft pick. JG wants a young nhl player so the 1st not being available shouldn't be a problem if there is a deal to be made.

Reactions: Maximus

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
we reportedly aren't looking for a draft pick. JG wants a young nhl player so the 1st not being available shouldn't be a problem if there is a deal to be made.

Yeah---really I would aim at Nylander. He's a player the Rangers could use and hey if you think you're getting a quality young goaltender who will be your starter for at least several years that's not an outrageous ask by the Rangers. The Leafs have zeroed in on him for a reason and IMO it wouldn't bother me at all if that and other deals fell through. I think Alex's value is only going to increase over the next few years and the situation of three goalies is eventually going to resolve itself if only because Henrik has only a year left on his contract.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
I'd figure out a way to keep both of the younger goal tenders. You have to have a good combo and Hank is all but gone.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'd figure out a way to keep both of the younger goal tenders. You have to have a good combo and Hank is all but gone.

yeah i'd prefer that outcome, find a way to next summer without losing Georgie,
enter the Seattle, and NYR as contenders again, era with both Czar and Georgie

its a juggling act if Hank's plays out his deal 'til then w NYR

maybe there is some possibility, after sitting these couple weeks (assuming Czar today and Georgie vs Isles Tuesday, then ASG break), that Hank reconsiders chasing a Cup (or 2) these next 2 springs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad