Value of: Alex Turcotte

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Really liked his potential. Assumed the Hawks were to select (local kid) instead of Dach changing the expected drafted players. All 3 players might be injury prone, but it seems COL - Byram could be the best of the group.

3 - Turcotte
4 - Dach
5 - Byram

Might not be any urgency, but LAK should consider offers similar to COL i.e. Newhook. His value could tank ie. Jost with nothing.
His value is already nowhere near Newhook's. He won't get more than a late 2nd.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Newhool's value is ahead of him.

as a kings fan I am hopeful some teams scouting department is enamored with the guy, leading to them pushing the teams GM to get him, and therefore leading to LA landing it's new #1 goalie. I can dream right

Reactions: McJedi

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Every highly regarded Kings forward prospect loses perceived value because of their asinine development planning, but the injuries have severely derailed Turcotte.

His strength has always been high speed interconnectivity - pucks moving quickly from station to station with accuracy and pace into high danger areas for his teammates. Its not a sexy individual skill set, but it does wonders for his teams. Problem is that he has had trouble putting on weight/muscle and his style of play leaves him open to BIG hits to make plays and he has not been able to shake them off.

If he learns to adapt, he will be a long time quality 2nd liner with buckets of intangibles. If not, he will be done very soon.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
What is crazy in reading this thread and everyone giving their reasons why they think Turcotte has turned out this way, and how so many of them are true and valid. The kid has had so much bad luck and bad decisions surrounding him.

I actually agree with whoever said he is probably one of those guys who peaked early. That was my guess going back to 2019. The Kings had a similar situation a decade earlier with Colten Teubert.

Turcotte was handled horribly after his freshman season, everyone who follows closely knew it was terrible, but it looks even worse than that with hindsight. I wonder if this was a Rob Blake decision or if scouts were consulted. I just have a tough time imagining how any scout could have signed off on moving him to pro hockey after how he looked year 1 in Madison.

Turcotte has had an insanely bad luck when it comes to injuries. I don't know if I ever remember a Kings prospect just facing this amount of injuries. And it's not one injury like it was with Scott Barney a generation ago, yes there have been multiple concussions but he has also suffered through various other injuries.

As far as a trade, the Kings are better off with a 22 year old who may be able to play a bottom six role as early as this season than they are with a late 2nd from a contender or an early 3rd from a bad team looking for a reclamation project.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What is crazy in reading this thread and everyone giving their reasons why they think Turcotte has turned out this way, and how so many of them are true and valid. The kid has had so much bad luck and bad decisions surrounding him.

I actually agree with whoever said he is probably one of those guys who peaked early. That was my guess going back to 2019. The Kings had a similar situation a decade earlier with Colten Teubert.

Turcotte was handled horribly after his freshman season, everyone who follows closely knew it was terrible, but it looks even worse than that with hindsight. I wonder if this was a Rob Blake decision or if scouts were consulted. I just have a tough time imagining how any scout could have signed off on moving him to pro hockey after how he looked year 1 in Madison.

Turcotte has had an insanely bad luck when it comes to injuries. I don't know if I ever remember a Kings prospect just facing this amount of injuries. And it's not one injury like it was with Scott Barney a generation ago, yes there have been multiple concussions but he has also suffered through various other injuries.

As far as a trade, the Kings are better off with a 22 year old who may be able to play a bottom six role as early as this season than they are with a late 2nd from a contender or an early 3rd from a bad team looking for a reclamation project.
Kings had some hard luck. Byfield struggling also

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
"No point trading him as his value is as low as it's ever been" is the HFboards version of the gambler's fallacy.

He's a bust. Move on.
The problem is, people have a hard time making realistic trade proposals for players like this, largely because where a guy was taken and biases going back to when they were draft eligible. A player their team invested heavy draft capital on and they got emotionally invested in is just not going to be what they thought is tough for people to accept. One very notable poster here is a good example for this player.

I saw him a lot as a freshman and the red flags should have been there for an NHL team, and I wish the Kings has cashed in sometime between 2020-2021 when they probably could have gotten 75-80% of their draft capital back in any trade.

I don’t think people are wrong to say what I said though, and I think most Kings fans agree. A 22 year old who has played NHL games and could have a depth role this season is more valuable to a team trying to contend (like the Kings) than some 17/18 year old kid picked #75 in the upcoming draft. Does that pick have a higher chance of being a top 6 player than Turcotte? Yes. Does that pick also have a much higher chance of not even playing in the NHL? Yes. That is why it’s better to just hold and accept Turcotte for what he is, the time to move Alex Turcotte passed in the summer of 2021.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The problem is, people have a hard time making realistic trade proposals for players like this, largely because where a guy was taken and biases going back to when they were draft eligible. A player their team invested heavy draft capital on and they got emotionally invested in is just not going to be what they thought is tough for people to accept. One very notable poster here is a good example for this player.

I saw him a lot as a freshman and the red flags should have been there for an NHL team, and I wish the Kings has cashed in sometime between 2020-2021 when they probably could have gotten 75-80% of their draft capital back in any trade.

I don’t think people are wrong to say what I said though, and I think most Kings fans agree. A 22 year old who has played NHL games and could have a depth role this season is more valuable to a team trying to contend (like the Kings) than some 17/18 year old kid picked #75 in the upcoming draft. Does that pick have a higher chance of being a top 6 player than Turcotte? Yes. Does that pick also have a much higher chance of not even playing in the NHL? Yes. That is why it’s better to just hold and accept Turcotte for what he is, the time to move Alex Turcotte passed in the summer of 2021.

"One very notable poster here is a good example for this player."
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
:baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead:

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
ARI should be all over this given the number of picks they have in round 2 and 3. MTL should be on it since they plan to have all former 2019 1st rounders as part of their team ;)

The fact that he still is a LAK right now leads me to believe that either LA does not consider offers around 2nd / 2nd + 3rd or that teams in the NHL think that Turcotte has suffered too many injuries already and can t be reclaimed.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Too many concussion,

generally speaking after your 3rd one player should really consider parking it,
yeah not easy to let go of your dream but it is what it is.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Former 5th OA pick. Unfortunately had multiple concussions and LBI’s and hasn’t played more than 32 games in a season since being drafted.

Decent AHL numbers, 0 points in the 12 games he’s played in the NHL.

Would love the Canucks to grab him as a buy low option. Not sure what the sentiment is with Kings fans as it stands. Is he an expendable piece considering Dubois/Byfield/Kopitar are likely the centers moving forward?

There is no buy low option.

Beside to the Kings who drafted him and put lot's of effort into his rehab, he carries 0 value to any other team.
He will get back to his game sooner or later, until then he is not available at all, especially not for a low ball offer.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
"One very notable poster here is a good example for this player."
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
:baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead:

Don’t worry, it’s not you. You have certainly had some whoppers, but you never said Alex Turcotte was better than Jack Hughes and then doubled down on it multiple times despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Kings had some hard luck. Byfield struggling also

The team deserves a lot of the blame for both players struggles. There was certainly some poor injury luck (especially with Turcotte). But the choices to put these two players in the AHL as teenagers for the 20/21 season ended up being two of the poorest development choices any team has made in recent memory.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Don’t worry, it’s not you. You have certainly had some whoppers, but you never said Alex Turcotte was better than Jack Hughes and then doubled down on it multiple times despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The team deserves a lot of the blame for both players struggles. There was certainly some poor injury luck (especially with Turcotte). But the choices to put these two players in the AHL as teenagers for the 20/21 season ended up being two of the poorest development choices any team has made in recent memory.

I know and I wasn't worried.

Just wondering who the guy you put a bag over his head is.

I have grown accustomed to your steep incline posts and they have been cracking me up,since then.

I don't believe Alex had a significant injury history so I don't blame drafting and development.

Still it contributes to the Kings sub par first round drafting history.

The Kings organization has taken notice of your scouting and critiques.

They probably want to hire you.

(Popcorn delivery technician}

BTW , my only bombing recommendation was extend Quick.

You on the other hand were one of the lead soloists in the trade Kempe choir at one point...

https://www.davidkravitz.com/images/photos/poohbah.jpg

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I know and I wasn't worried.

Just wondering who the guy you put a bag over his head is.

I have grown accustomed to your steep incline posts and they have been cracking me up,since then.

I don't believe Alex had a significant injury history so I don't blame drafting and development.

Still it contributes to the Kings sub par first round drafting history.

The Kings organization has taken notice of your scouting and critiques.

They probably want to hire you.

(Popcorn delivery technician}

BTW , my only bombing recommendation was extend Quick.

You on the other hand were one of the lead soloists in the trade Kempe choir at one point...

https://www.davidkravitz.com/images/photos/poohbah.jpg

That would be incorrect. I was always a fan of Kempe and his talents. He was frustrating at times but the talent was always there.

But who am I to interrupt the voices in your head that tell you whatever it is they say.

Cheers.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I just don’t get how people can make posts where they just assume someone had an opinion that they never had. In fact I made many positive posts about Kempe and how I felt like trading him would bite the Kings like many similar guys they traded in the 90’s.

But I guess just making things up to try and prove a point or have a gotcha moment is a thing you often do, and you wonder why you are thought of the way you are on the homeboard.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I just don’t get how people can make posts where they just assume someone had an opinion that they never had. In fact I made many positive posts about Kempe and how I felt like trading him would bite the Kings like many similar guys they traded in the 90’s.

But I guess just making things up to try and prove a point or have a gotcha moment is a thing you often do, and you wonder why you are thought of the way you are on the homeboard.

I don’t know why Herby but you just happen to fill any shape that fits someone’s narrative. At any given moment, you love and hate every Kings player, past and present. You are Schrödinger’s Kings Opinion.

Reactions: Vote4Lubo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don’t know why Herby but you just happen to fill any shape that fits someone’s narrative. At any given moment, you love and hate every Kings player, past and present. You are Schrödinger’s Kings Opinion.
I think they just like to make things up, unfortunately this has been a big issue at the Kings board for a long time. We have some of the best regulars but also some of the worst, although thankfully some of the worst have kind of become lurkers more than regs.

Always willing to defend what I have said, and acknowledge the things I am wrong on. I just hate to have to correct things that were never said.

Reactions: kilowatt

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Actually I never wondered about that Herb but now we are even...

:cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad