Value of: Alex Turcotte

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Former 5th OA pick. Unfortunately had multiple concussions and LBI’s and hasn’t played more than 32 games in a season since being drafted.

Decent AHL numbers, 0 points in the 12 games he’s played in the NHL.

Would love the Canucks to grab him as a buy low option. Not sure what the sentiment is with Kings fans as it stands. Is he an expendable piece considering Dubois/Byfield/Kopitar are likely the centers moving forward?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His AHL numbers have been mediocre at best, and he can't seem to stay healthy. At some point you have to forget about where he was drafted five years ago and see him for what he is, a longshot to have a NHL career of any significance.

As far as worth... a late 2nd, maybe, if even that?

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
None. Maybe a 3rd to the right team but he hasn’t shown glimpses of anything.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Former 5th OA pick. Unfortunately had multiple concussions and LBI’s and hasn’t played more than 32 games in a season since being drafted.

Would love the Canucks to grab him as a buy low option. Not sure what the sentiment is with Kings fans as it stands. Is he an expendable piece considering Dubois/Byfield/Kopitar are likely the centers moving forward?
You are right and way too right!
Thats why he is not available.
Value so low he is not worth trading.
But potential value is still high/pedigree.
He is waivers protected and he could go up and down as needed.
RFA that won't cost much at the end of the season.
Could be a late bloomer or cog somewhere in lineup

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Get east you are saying

i don’t think thry trade him now for outside top50 drsft picks.

I see him more of a young player for young player swap or they use him for deadline trade bait for a player with 1+ yr term left.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is his waiver wire status? Does he need to clear to be sent down? Not getting much of that is the case.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I dont think LA would get an offer that is worth it to them. Injury issues, mediocre production in the AHL, and zero production in the NHL. Several players picked after him have accomplished more in the AHL/NHL. At this point, theyll likely just ride with him until he has to go through waivers. Then if he hasnt improved, they may try to get back anything instead of risking losing him for nothing.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He was never really good. Dude played with Caufield, Hughes and Boldy. He was the leach.
I think he was pretty good compliment to a lot of those star players on the USA teams…. He did a lot of the dirty work for those guys and zegras.

If he can be healthy I think he can still find a spot as a compliment to 6 player with skill players around him.

Really no reason for kings to move him right now he may be a valuable piece for them going forward due to his cost

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think he was pretty good compliment to a lot of those star players on the USA teams…. He did a lot of the dirty work for those guys and zegras.

If he can be healthy I think he can still find a spot as a compliment to 6 player with skill players around him.

Really no reason for kings to move him right now he may be a valuable piece for them going forward due to his cost
The World Juniors line with Zegras and Kaliyev was fantastic. At this point, something like that where he’s the utility guy on a good line seems to be his best outcome.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Kings will be willing to trade him only @ trade deadline.
1- he will play and prove he can stay healthy and upgrade his value
2- Kings will maybe add a top players to be a cup contender but it depend where they will be in standing at this time

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Turcotte is getting close to Filip Zadina territory. He's not quite there yet, but he's close.

Of course, the extra factors for Zadina were that he asked to be traded and had a contract that nobody was willing to pick up. Turcotte doesn't have that, so he might get a low pick. But the return isn't worth giving up on a fifth overall pick. (Detroit likely wouldn't have given up on Zadina if he hadn't asked to leave)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I can see Turcotte being packaged when Kings trades for a goalie. Don't see any reason to trade just him as his value is much too low for it to make sense for the Kings. Might as well hold on to him and see what happens.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You are right and way too right!
Thats why he is not available.
Value so low he is not worth trading.
But potential value is still high/pedigree.
He is waivers protected and he could go up and down as needed.
RFA that won't cost much at the end of the season.
Could be a late bloomer or cog somewhere in lineup
I'd say that ship has sailed.

King's might as well hold on to him at this point instead of dumping him for low ball offers.
Are the really lowball? What is a mediocre. oft injured, AHL'er worth?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Oh, was damn good when he was drafted. It's just that some players don't grow, for whatever reason. I think he had a lot of factors go against him, such as rushed/poor development, and injuries. It's hard to play when your body isn't healthy. He could be one of those guys who is experiencing long terms effects on concussions, or has a bad back. Those things can be career killers.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Next season will be the time to have this conversation, as he will almost be assuredly claimed if he were waived.

Waiver exemption this year buys LA some time to hopefully have him get a healthy season in, and assess what they have in him.

Reactions: 57special

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh, was damn good when he was drafted. It's just that some players don't grow, for whatever reason. I think he had a lot of factors go against him, such as rushed/poor development, and injuries. It's hard to play when your body isn't healthy. He could be one of those guys who is experiencing long terms effects on concussions, or has a bad back. Those things can be career killers.

Adjusting to the pro game is difficult. You're now facing the best men in the world and many of them have size/skating. Hockey IQ to overcome it is a huge part of development. Some have it, most don't. He also doesn't have the size/skating as a strength so when he's in scrums or time/space is reduced, he gets smothered. You see this very often actually and you hear a lot of comments from young players about their reduced time/space. When you have it in development leagues, you can stand out and produce. When it's reduced, it's a shock to the system for many players.

Fans don't usually consider the huge hurdle of turning pro when projecting prospects potential. The real evaluation is when they turn pro IMO. Any predictions prior to that is very subjective and guess work. If you go back and look at all drafts, there are always top 10 disappointments. Great shot at adding serious talent but by no means it's a guarantee.

It's not over yet for him but his time to shine is closing fast. Heading into his age 22/23 season and he has hard time producing the numbers you would expect in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad