Trade: Alex Smith to Washington for 3rd round pick + Kendall Fuller (And signs 4-year extension)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't like this deal for the Chiefs. They really should have held out for a 2nd. I realize they needed the cap space and Mahomes is ready for the job, but a second should have been the minimum price. Cravens is basically a project.

I also move that the thread title be changed to "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".

I shamefully didn't see the joke until it was pointed out after the fact, but now it's everywhere so I'd feel bad just copying it

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Skins handled situation with Cousins poorly for two years now and now have downgraded at QB

Terrible trade (Giving up Fuller) and extension for soon to be 34 yr old QB as well
Good for Cousins to finally get out of that circus that is Redskins organization

Amen. ^ My opinion, best post in this thread.

Cousins is the best Redskin QB since Rypien, but Washington hasn't realized it.. now returning to their recent, default habit of signing past-their-prime passers. Donovan McFlabb, Brunell, Rex Grossman..
I'm always expecting them to re-sign Theismann @ some point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think Dan Snyder has ever signed one his own QBs to a lucrative extension. I don't get it, they screw up RG3, get a care package in the form of Cousins, have him play good and then show him the door?

Smith is a solid QB who just had his best season but he's also 33...... why not just pay Cousins and have some long term stability?

Also, hope Mahomes works out for KC,.

Schefter isn't backing off the Fuller report and he's rarely wrong. Everyone else seems to think he's in the deal as well.

I think Washington would've been better off even if they had to give up a 2nd round pick instead. It's hard to believe they couldn't get Smith without giving up a very good 22 year old CB.

Browns were after Smith as well - don't forget John Dorsey is now calling the shots. He wanted his QB back.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I did not even know you could trade at this time of season.

You can't technically, but you can agree to the terms and get something signed so neither team can back out. Its just wont become official until the league year begins in March. Its sort of like how non-playoff NHL teams can make trades before the playoffs are done. Or how NBA teams can make trades but cant execute them between the draft and the end of the first week of July.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't like this deal for the Chiefs. They really should have held out for a 2nd. I realize they needed the cap space and Mahomes is ready for the job, but a second should have been the minimum price. Cravens is basically a project.

I also move that the thread title be changed to "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".

Fuller change your opinion? Fuller and a 3rd is way better than a second round pick. The optics changed a lot when it went from Cravens to Fuller. Huge difference.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
What a clueless trade, even for Washington. Getting a soon to be 34 year old QB, a guy whose play seems to go downhill from the end of September on every year, and giving up one of the few huge pieces of their defense?

Even for a team known for one mess after another, this is idiocy.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Fuller change your opinion? Fuller and a 3rd is way better than a second round pick. The optics changed a lot when it went from Cravens to Fuller. Huge difference.
Absolutely. Fuller is a high value player on a rookie deal that also fills a position of need for the team. This is a great deal.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Chargers allowed Drew Brees to enter FA. 4 year rookie deal, one franchise tag then allowed to sign for free in New Orleans.

They also had Phillip Rivers waiting in the wings. Apparently McCloughan wanted to lock up Cousins to a 5 year/40 million deal in 2015 but Snyder nixed it. He was the back up then but they knew he'd start.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bortles injury pretty much forces the Jags hand as I doubt he's able to pass that physical in March and his contract is guaranteed.

Anyways, my comments above with this being a good move for Washington was before Fuller was included and I saw the extension. Not sure about either of those parts. I still do think Smith can will do a good job in Washington and at a similar level to Cousins, it doesn't change that.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They are similar QB's. You can win games with them if they have a strong supporting cast. Washington does. I just think trading your best young player is a bad idea. Fuller can play inside or outside, has athleticism and ball skills.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Smith's not the worst QB in the world to acquire. Still didn't think Washington would be the team that got him. Guess this means Cousins is gone now, wonder where he ends up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They are similar QB's. You can win games with them if they have a strong supporting cast. Washington does. I just think trading your best young player is a bad idea. Fuller can play inside or outside, has athleticism and ball skills.

No Cousins and Smith are not at all similar QB's

For one thing Cousins isn't afraid to take shots down field ,, Smith constantly refuses to take chances and it holds back his team

I know you hate Cousins and feel he is not good but he has more talent and is better QB then Alex f***ing Smith

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

For one thing Cousins isn't afraid to take shots down field ,, Smith constantly refuses to take chances and it holds back his team

I know you hate Cousins and feel he is not good but he has more talent and is better QB then Alex ****ing Smith

Smith has actually had slightly more 40+ yard plays over the 3 years Cousins has been starting. Cousins eats up on the mid-range stuff (20-40 yards) but also throws more picks. They are slightly different QB's but the end results aren't that much different.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

I know you hate Cousins and feel he is not good but he has more talent and is better QB then Alex ****ing Smith

I don't hate Cousins. Cousins has had nothing but elite offensive coaching his whole career and has topped out. He doesn't elevate talent around him. Every criticism of Smith can be applied to Cousins.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Smith has actually had slightly more 40+ yard plays over the 3 years Cousins has been starting. Cousins eats up on the mid-range stuff (20-40 yards) but also throws more picks. They are slightly different QB's but the end results aren't that much different.

Both leave yards on the field due to accuracy. Both take back breaking sacks. Neither elevate talent around them. Cousins turns the ball over more often and has worse situational awareness. BWC loves him some mediocre QB play. Especially if they throw for a lot of meaningless yardage.

Reactions: Bozle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad