Trade: Alex Smith to Washington for 3rd round pick + Kendall Fuller (And signs 4-year extension)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Both leave yards on the field due to accuracy. Both take back breaking sacks. Neither elevate talent around them. Cousins turns the ball over more often and has worse situational awareness. BWC loves him some mediocre QB play. Especially if they throw for a lot of meaningless yardage.

I agree. Smith's rushing has often gone unnoticed as well - those extra 300 yards or so per season will often come at important time. Cousins doesn't do that.

I think both guys are in the middle tier of QB's - somewhere between 11 and 18, give or take. I think it's a stretch to consider either a top ten QB and they obviously aren't a bottom ten in terms of starters.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Neither of these QBs are putting anyone over the top. There's a reason why only a handful of QBs have won a SB in the past 15 years.

Reactions: Voight

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
TB12
AR12
brees
big ben
newton
wilson
ryan
luck
wentz
rivers

if one thinks luck is done, switch him for stafford.

Agreed, and I do have Stafford in there over Luck. I think the 11-20 range is interesting with Luck, Cousins, Dalton, Dak, Watson, Goff, Carr, Jimmy G, Winston, Mariota, Smith etc.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
TB12
AR12
brees
big ben
newton
wilson
ryan
luck
wentz
rivers

Cam Newton of last 2 years is not a better QB then Kirk Cousins and given Luck's issues I don't see how you can view him as top 10 QB at moment or going forward until he proves it

And Wentz one year is not enough to put him above Cousins at this point

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Fleece of the f***ing decade. Holy shit.

You know it's bad when Redskins fans are literally making petitions online to have the trade called off.

Peters, Fuller and Berry in the secondary. Damn.

Mahomes era is finally here. Mahomes to Hill is going to be nothing short of magical.

Reactions: Bozle

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
TB12
AR12
brees
big ben
newton
wilson
ryan
luck
wentz
rivers

Minus Ryans anomaly 2016 season, you could argue Cousins is better. Sure Ryan was lights out last season, but it was one of those peak seasons that he will not have again.

& as of today I would for sure take Luck out any top 10 QB list.... too many questions at this point. Also would not put Wentz there just yet, this time next year he will more than likely be there but we need more than one star-type season before doing so.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Neither of these QBs are putting anyone over the top. There's a reason why only a handful of QBs have won a SB in the past 15 years.
This is what leaves me scratching my head with the QB salaries these days. Don't get me wrong, I understand their importance, but these serviceable QBs are now gonna be making well in excess of $20M and unless you have a phenomenal defense they're not good enough to put you over the top. Seems like a waste of money.

With the Smith contract someone's gonna pay Cousins well over $25M. That should be reserved for guys like Rodgers and Brady.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Cousins can also radically change the draft. He lands in Cleveland, New York, Denver they won't be taking a QB at #1 and opens up the trade market on picks even further.

Reactions: robertmac43

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Minus Ryans anomaly 2016 season, you could argue Cousins is better. Sure Ryan was lights out last season, but it was one of those peak seasons that he will not have again.

& as of today I would for sure take Luck out any top 10 QB list.... too many questions at this point. Also would not put Wentz there just yet, this time next year he will more than likely be there but we need more than one star-type season before doing so.

Cousins is not better than Matt Ryan.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah this trade made me angry! Fuller had an amazing year and it sucks to see him go. Don't even want to get started on Cousins leaving. Felt like he had some good things going and with a healthy Offense could have done well in Washington.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Cam Newton of last 2 years is not a better QB then Kirk Cousins and given Luck's issues I don't see how you can view him as top 10 QB at moment or going forward until he proves it

And Wentz one year is not enough to put him above Cousins at this point

Cam is better than Cousins come on man.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Smith will be a great fit - love the return for the Chiefs and I understand the Skins completely bungled this whole thing starting years ago but I think some of you are underrating Alex and he’s by far the best option there was for Washington. Grudens system will be a seamless transition. And he’ll be an immediate leader on the team. He’s got to be in contention for most stand up dude in the entire league. I’m not sure what Cousins was like behind closed doors or what his teammates thought of him but Smith is a natural leader of men.

Would not surprise me in the least if by the end of next season Redskins fans like Smith more than they liked Cousins.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
ayy lmao Matt Ryan has like 4 or 5 seasons equal to or better than Cousins' best.

and ayy lmao again at trying to discount and take away an MVP year. You know, besides that shooting, how WAS the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Same with Cam. These guys have won MVP, been All-Pro, have won multiple playoff games, gotten to SuperBowl.
Legit what has Cousins ever done to even be considered in this discussion?

I'm not saying Cousins is bad by any means, but he's not in that discussion. He's a midcard QB at best until he proves otherwise.
It's not even like he has the promise that Wentz and Goff have. No problem easily putting Wentz way way above Cousins now. Wentz likely would have won the MVP this year and has already shown more in 2-years than Cousins has in 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperHF

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Last 3 years:

Cousins-81 TD's 36 picks 13,176 yds 67% 7.8 YPA

Ryan 79 TD's 35 picks 13,630 yds 67% 8.1 YPA

Newton 76 TD's 40 picks 10,648 yds 57% 7.1%

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Last 3-years:

1c3jZWm.png

Guess who's who.

Cousins is below Ryan as a passing QB; Cousins is below Newton as a duel threat QB; Cousins hasn't won or accomplished nearly what the other 2 have... but he's better than them both? How? Why? Just cause contrarian reasons? This reminds me of back in the day people would say Jay Cutler was better than Matt Ryan lel

Also surprised at how unselfish Ryan was not calling his own number on the goalline. That stat could have easily been padded.

I can get saying he's better than Newton if you just want to factor in pure QB play. But we all know that's not the whole story.

Some want to say Wentz isn't Top 10 because "he needs to show more" but Kirk Cousins has shown enough to be Top 10 even though he has accomplished less than Wentz? whta has Cousins shown besides showing he's a remarkably solid QB? Cousins hasn't even thrown for 30 TD ffs.

All I'm saying is that's it's completely disingenuous for some to try and discount players who have had MVP seasons and have led their team places just to try and compare them to another guy who haen't had anywhere close to an MVP caliber season.

Why should we have to lower Ryan and Newton's standard and say "well if you excuse their MVP years and not consider their achievements" just because Cousins hasn't met that standard himself (yet)?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad