Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
As a Blues fan i feel absolutely gutted about Pietrangelo. Doug Armstrong completely f***ed him over.

How do you know that? He had his chance to re-sign ans get his 8-year deal. Clearly staying in STL wasn't his top priority, which is his right of course. Just don't see how you can make that assumption until we get more information.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wish we knew what options he was considering here.

I was originally thinking Toronto, Vegas, St. Louis, Colorado, Florida and then the possibles are Columbus, Philly and even Boston.

But then Toronto acquired Brodie and St. Louis acquired Krug.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Or maybe Petro is overplaying his hand here?

Yeah this is nothing like what Bergevin did Radulov, where he went out to publicly say he wasn't negotiating anymore and once finding out Dallas made an offer and Radulov accepted, he tried to toss in a weak counter offer.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Based on some things I’ve heard, don’t be surprised if Armstrong pulls off some deals, Steen retires and Pietrangelo re-signs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It seems he has, clearly some teams weren't going to wait for him or realized he expects to much.

I think the issue is the laundry list of things that he is looking for. Not sure there is much appetite for compromise either. With his age and the current economic climate I think he's squeezing himself a bit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao at that Colaiacovo tweet.

When it’s only 9 am and you already know you won’t make a decision that day because you need to “mull over options”, that means you have no options.

I guess he’s just waiting for Vegas to clear space. Nobody else is trying to sign him.

Reactions: CanuckCity

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Miles better than TB? Bet you want that one back

TB is the class of the division and in a different conversion. But then there is always someone who is small brained enough to not figure that out. The Hierarchy before Free Agency was TB, BOS, TOR, FLA, BUF, MON, and DET. After today if BOS doesn't go after a player like Petro then they might be slipping below FLA.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

When it’s only 9 am and you already know you won’t make a decision that day because you need to “mull over options”, that means you have no options.

I guess he’s just waiting for Vegas to clear space. Nobody else is trying to sign him.

He was always going to take his time & have Skype Canadian Thanksgiving with the family.
VR turkey with all the stuffin and gravies. Mmm mm.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don’t know why, but I feel like it’s going to be some team out of left field that signs AP.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
As a Blues fan i feel absolutely gutted about Pietrangelo. Doug Armstrong completely f***ed him over.

Blues offered him a contract, he declined ? Are the blues supposed to wait, let all the other top UFA D-men sign elsewhere while waiting for his decision ? And he still might walk somewhere anyways ? It sucks but it is what it is.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Thats certainly not true. But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't love the offers...

That said. The most likely scenario here is that Vegas just needs time to clear capspace and want to do it before he signs (otherwise other teams would have them over the barrell)...

Greiss just went off the market and there are still a few teams left sitting without a goalie they love. Odds are atleast one of them is circling back to Fleury as an option right now and Vegas will probably be very keen on getting something done soon...

After that Pietro will sign...

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
Blues offered him a contract, he declined ? Are the blues supposed to wait, let all the other top UFA D-men sign elsewhere while waiting for his decision ? And he still might walk somewhere anyways ? It sucks but it is what it is.

From what I was reading earlier, DA offered him the NMC and signing bonuses on Thursday night even though he swore he never would. He said that he only offered those to AP because he was a special guy. He declined and then spins a narrative that he was blindsided by the Krug signing. It's really weird how this is being handled I think.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
TB is the class of the division and in a different conversion. But then there is always someone who is small brained enough to not figure that out. The Hierarchy before Free Agency was TB, BOS, TOR, FLA, BUF, MON, and DET. After today if BOS doesn't go after a player like Petro then they might be slipping below FLA.
Right so anyone that misinterpreted your claim that "Boston is miles above the rest of the division" to not be including TB is an idiot. Good to know.

Effective communication is a leading sign of intelligence. Perhaps you should work on that as opposed to denoting anyone who doesn't read your mind perfectly as being "small brained"

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Boston can sign Pietrangelo, Debrusk and Chara, bury Moore or Clifton in the minors and be just under the cap.

Sure they miss out on Hall but they already won the Presidents trophy with the forward group they had, add Craig Smith, healthy Kase for a full season and a guy like Studnicka who could push somebody out and their forward group looks good with a ton of depth.

Their left side D would be very mediocre at best, but the right side would be the best in the league. Not the "normal" way to do it, but Tampa just won the cup with a similar makeup having the best left side while the right side was just okay. Cernak and Shatty are capable guys + whoever the 3rd guy was at any given time got the job done but none of those guys are what you consider a 1-3 dman.

It would be like mirroring Tampa defense, slightly improving the forward group while Tampa likely lose something this summer so any gap there was could close.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hearing that AP was offered a fair deal to stay in St. Louis and turned it down, I’m wondering how his young wife, with her young children, is feeling right now knowing she’s being uprooted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad