Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Right. But those facts couldn't have been known ahead of time. If the Blues sign Pietro (likely, I think), then they'll still have Faulk, who is preferable to one or both of Bokk and Edmundson.

If they have to let Pietro walk despite his willingness to sign for a reasonable price OR if they keep Pietro at the cost of Parayko or Dunn and they get a bad return, then we're into Extremely Bad Moves territory. Possible for sure, but as it currently stands, the Faulk move is somewhere between Fine and Necessary Insurance.

No, the Faulk deal has been bad since the jump. Even without the flat cap, this deal made for very, very tight numbers for Petro's deal (which will also likely end up smaller due to uncertainty of cash flow rn.)

The only way the Faulk deal makes sense is if you knew Petro was going to bolt, and even then it's a very sizable contract for a guy who hadn't played a game with the team and who had questions defensively.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
No, the Faulk deal has been bad since the jump. Even without the flat cap, this deal made for very, very tight numbers for Petro's deal (which will also likely end up smaller due to uncertainty of cash flow rn.)

The only way the Faulk deal makes sense is if you knew Petro was going to bolt, and even then it's a very sizable contract for a guy who hadn't played a game with the team and who had questions defensively.
I have said this many times on many threads. The trade had great value without the extension. You see how Faulk fits in for a few months, and if he does, then you extend him. Some people have said that the deal was contingent upon the extension. I say, then that is when Armstrong should have walked away. Instead, he signed Faulk to a 7 yr contract with full NTC's without having him play a single game in a Blues uniform, and not having a clear idea of what his role would be. And this is where we are.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I have said this many times on many threads. The trade had great value without the extension. You see how Faulk fits in for a few months, and if he does, then you extend him. Some people have said that the deal was contingent upon the extension. I say, then that is when Armstrong should have walked away. Instead, he signed Faulk to a 7 yr contract with full NTC's without having him play a single game in a Blues uniform, and not having a clear idea of what his role would be. And this is where we are.

Exactly. I was ecstatic when I heard about the trade. All that enthusiasm left when I heard about the extension.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
That Edmundson + Bokk for Faulk deal looks real, real bad.

they coulda kept edmundson for 3.5 and that extra 3 probably gives em enough to keep pietrnagelo as well

Dunn-Pietreangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Scandella-Bortuzzo
We traded those two guys for our #1RHD after Petro signs with Toronto and we trade Parayko for magic beans to Edmonton.

Dunn-Faulk
Scandella-Bortuzzo
Mikkola - Walman/Pernovich

I'm already reserving my Cup parade location again.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
even assuming they send a couple forwards to the AHL (or lose on waivers) how are they keeping both Alex P and Dunn with 6.5 space?

dont say Tarasenko to LTIR because when he comes back they would be royally screwed. Dressing 15 guys sounds fun
They could deal someone else, such as Schwartz or Bozak. Steen could go on LTIR. Dunn could be dealt. Lots of better options than dealing Parayko (unless return is just massive).

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Hahaha.

Thank you for that man!! Really appreciate it!

I needed that.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner raped TO but Petro will sign at under market to " come home"

:laugh:
Actually Tavares signed for below market value. He was offered 13m by SJ and I believe another team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Custance says NHL teams believe Sakic is open to trading Erik Johnson. If EJ is moved you can bank on Colorado being a major player for Pietrangelo.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Youd have 7 players eating 60M of the cap.

Good luck with depth and getting a good goalie.
The leafs don't have to stop making moves there. Move dermott and Holl and replace them with Sandin and Lehtonen and more money is saved. The leafs also tend to play the LTIR game with players in trades which gives even more flexibility. It's more than doable

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
He's a UFA during the offseason in which:

- The cap is flat and many teams are hard up against it
- COVID is reporting causing many teams to impose an internal cap in the $70-80m range

It sucks for Petro, but he became a UFA at the worst possible time, and he's just not going to get the kind of fair value he would have e.g. last year, even from one of the few teams that theoretically have a lot of cap space.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lebrun again talked on the radio about how after talking to Petro he was noticeably angry in his voice about how this has been handled and he is after taking to him. Believes that he would like to (does not mean his first choice) is to come to Toronto.

big prob for Toronto is that they can’t get good value for AJ apparentyl

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Lebrun again talked on the radio about how after talking to Petro he was noticeably angry in his voice about how this has been handled and he is after taking to him. Believes that he would like to (does not mean his first choice) is to come to Toronto.

big prob for Toronto is that they can’t get good value for AJ apparentyl

Kyle Dubas pulls a Tanya Harding on Erik Karlsson, then trades for his LTIR contract.
Problem solved.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kyle Dubas pulls a Tanya Harding on Erik Karlsson, then trades for his LTIR contract.
Problem solved.

Tanya Harding looks like Big Boss Man compared to Dubas. He looks like he might get an asthma attack thinking about pulling a Harding on Karlsson, let along doing it :laugh:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

oh-hell-yeah-.jpg

Reactions: exporta and Kelly

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That Edmundson + Bokk for Faulk deal looks real, real bad.

they coulda kept edmundson for 3.5 and that extra 3 probably gives em enough to keep pietrnagelo as well

Dunn-Pietreangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Scandella-Bortuzzo
True.

Faulk is hot garbage. 6.5mill.$ x 7- years for 3rd pair dmen.

Let NHL top5 RHD walk away, just like that.

This was one the worst trades what this franchise has seen. Stanley Cup to back bubble team/round 1 exit team.

Well we got Cup, but damn it's going to be hard follow team when we fall from top of mountain back to camp 1.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Faulk for Jack Johnson straight up. Pens get the better player, Blues get the space to sign Petrangelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad