Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Headshot77, Sep 14, 2020.

1. quityerwhinin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Right, I didn't mean to imply they'd be rebuilding. There's still a lot of talent, but Armstrong is on the record as saying they are going into year 3 of a 5-year window to win the Cup. Sacrificing either player means you will realistically lose at least one of those years if not two.

Trade Parayko, and you get nothing back but futures since you can't take on salary. Nice, but doesn't help now, or maybe even next year.

Not resign Pietrangelo, and you get worse, but at least you have some cap flexibility to try and keep that window open a bit.

2. ViewsFromThe6ix ████ 60% *LOADING*

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It's quite easy to bring in Pietrangelo and not trade anyone. Andersen and Johnsson would have to go, but that's about it.

3. rumrokh PuckChamp

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    It's not certain, but it's entirely plausible the Blues could unload salary along with him to get more than futures. Parayko's contract is very affordable for what he brings, I'm sure many teams could make the money work and send the Blues back an impact player.

Also, Parayko is only signed for two more seasons. If the window is 3-5 years, how much does that influence Armstrong's decision?

4. Headshot77 Bad Photoshopper

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    And then you have no cap space and no goaltenders. Look at Cap Friendly for five seconds before saying crap like this.

Linds likes this.
  5. tucker3434 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I don’t know. That sounds an awful lot like, “I could afford a Porsche. I’ve just got to sell my kidney.” Technically true, but is that the way you really want to go? Even if you are good with moving on from Andersen (which might be the correct move anyway) how much money can you save there on a replacement and still expect to compete in the playoffs?

sfvega and BHD like this.
  6. seanlinden Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Not neccessarily... it's important to consider that pretty much all of the top teams are going to have hard impacts due to the flat cap and new economic realities for many teams. There's likely to be somewhat of a "flattening" of the league, as talent needs to disperse itself to the less competitive teams, in order to get paid.

Both options (Parayko vs. Pietrangelo) IMO can be viewed as ways to "keep the window open". Pietrangelo is the better defenceman, Parayko is cheaper. Pietrangelo you lose for nothing (or at best a negligible pick), Parayko you could potentially hit a home-run of assets.

Honestly, it really does come down to 2 big questions IMO... and it's not neccessarily easily "quantifiable".

Question 1 is -- how much MORE expensive is Alex Pietrangelo versus Colton Parayko? If it's $3m, I think the scales tip towards moving Parayko. If it's $4.5m, I think the scales tip towards letting Pietrangelo walk... the exact tipping point? that's a tough one, likely influenced by question 2.

Question 2 is -- what can you get for Colton Parayko?

Can you get 50-60 points out of $3-4m for him? A guy like Kevin Fiala, Pavel Buchnevich, Jakub Vrana. I don't know if the Preds, Rangers or Caps are that interested in moving highly productive guys like that right now, perhaps you have to take a risk on a guy who you think can do it, and get the benefit of 2-3 years of that kind of productivity (whereas all 3 of the names above have 1 year left on their deals).

If you can layer a forward like that alongside a high draft pick / high end prospects, it gives you further ammunition to add at the deadline -- something most cup contending teams do end up needing to do.

7. 93gilmour93 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    If Andersen and AJ were moved for picks it pretty much becomes money in money out replacing those two with AP.

Send Rosen and Marincin to the marlies and the leafs would have around 7.5 million in cap space

8. Djp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Understand how ltir works

1 Hossa needs to be part of 23 man on day 1.
    2Only after roster is set can he go in ltir. That’s the same if they were to acquire seabrook and ltir him.
    3 thrn teams call up or dign players against the ltir space created that put them above the cap.

Toronto got $11M in space in ltir to use against Marber where he signed after roster set.

When Boston had Savard for ltir they had ELC players to call up against that space. Thry needed to trade him when they didn’t have the space to maximize the ltir or they had no ELCs to call up against it.

9. Legion34 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    personally I think that Petro is using Toronto as leverage. Plan A is the blues. I think he is legit and rightfully pissed About the. Way things have went. But he wants to stay.

The way he is signalling and talking in the media. I don’t think he would do that if going to leave.

he clearly does have ties to Toronto and came up for an extended stay. (Pang says he has a home here now) during a pandemic. You don’t do this for a visit.

that said. If it comes down to it. Toronto will be able to do it for the next 2 years. Then sacrifice willy for rielly extension.

if the leafs sign Petro for 8.5.

they would have about 7.5 for a G and 3 c.

Blueston likes this.
  10. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Hope Vancouver lands him.

11. Shak19 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Pietrangelo is not happy with the contract offer/terms and bonus structure.

We know the Leafs structure all there contracts with high bonus structure up front. Very advantageous for the Leafs in signing Pietrangelo.

12. Blueston HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I reject your premise. No reason they gotta lose either.

13. seanlinden Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    So the Blues are going to tie up $21m in 3 right-shot defencemen?

Personally, I don't see it happening -- I think they like Dunn far too much for that to happen.

14. Blueston HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I think they like Dunn much less than that.

15. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Definitely door #2 for me. Unless we get someone like Bouchard, Seiden, Broberg, or Byram as part of a package for Parayko.

16. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    his defensive game is good. As stable as they come. Number 1 dman on most NHL teams. Why are people questioning his defensive game? I say we don't sign Tanev and Markstrom and target Petriangelo!

17. sfvega Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    People are questioning his defensive game? If so, they need their heads examined. He's easily a top 5 defensive defenseman in the league. Could clear the crease better and the delay of game penalties aren't great, but everything else about him defensively is phenomenal.

18. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    or Kerfoot/Johnsson with those being replaced by cheap vet signings of guys who want to go home (Jumbo Joe/Simmonds?)

19. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    That Edmundson + Bokk for Faulk deal looks real, real bad.

they coulda kept edmundson for 3.5 and that extra 3 probably gives em enough to keep pietrnagelo as well

Dunn-Pietreangelo
    Edmundson-Parayko
    Scandella-Bortuzzo

20. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    (Sigh), yup.

21. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    even assuming they send a couple forwards to the AHL (or lose on waivers) how are they keeping both Alex P and Dunn with 6.5 space?

dont say Tarasenko to LTIR because when he comes back they would be royally screwed. Dressing 15 guys sounds fun

22. rumrokh PuckChamp

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Faulk is so much better than Edmundson, who cannot play top-4 minutes; Dunn is not ready to do that kind of lifting; and Bortuzzo shouldn't be in the starting 6 unless that top 4 is pristine. Which is exactly why Faulk was acquired, so the Blues would have Pietro, Parayko, Bouwmeester, and Faulk, and it wouldn't be a problem for them to have kids and boneheads getting bottom pair duties.

Scandella has been a nice addition in Bouwmeester's absence (better than Edmundson was, too), but the pandemic and Bouw's surprise heart issue are the real wrenches in the works that make the deal look weirder than it should.

23. BB88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Youd have 7 players eating 60M of the cap.

Good luck with depth and getting a good goalie.

24. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I see your point, but the fact remains that if we hadn't made the Faulk deal, we would be letting Edmundson walk in a few weeks, our playoff outcome would very likely be the same, we would still have Bokk as an asset, and we probably would have signed Pietrangelo by now.

25. rumrokh PuckChamp

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Right. But those facts couldn't have been known ahead of time. If the Blues sign Pietro (likely, I think), then they'll still have Faulk, who is preferable to one or both of Bokk and Edmundson.

If they have to let Pietro walk despite his willingness to sign for a reasonable price OR if they keep Pietro at the cost of Parayko or Dunn and they get a bad return, then we're into Extremely Bad Moves territory. Possible for sure, but as it currently stands, the Faulk move is somewhere between Fine and Necessary Insurance.