Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tampas D TOI/GP in the playoffs (from the 6 guys who played 20+ games):

Hedman: 26:27
McDonagh: 24:15
Sergachev: 22:36
Cernak: 20:42
Shattenkirk: 19:30
Bogoisan: 17:39

Looks pretty spread out no?

In the end, Tampa was a team who was good at everything this year. Near the top in xGF/60, xGA/60 and goaltending. The total package.

I dont overrate or underrate anything. For years we've watched a team getting carried by its high end offence and goaltending and xGA/60 down near the bottom of the league just like you said.

Since Keefe took over, xGA/60 was 10th best in the league. Why? Why were the Leafs the 10th best defensive team in the main stat we look at to track team defence. Was 50 games too small a sample size?

Hedman: 26:27 --> Pietrangelo
McDonagh: 24:15 --> Muzzin
Sergachev: 22:36 --> Rielly
Cernak: 20:42 --> Holl
Shattenkirk: 19:30 --> Dermott
Bogoisan: 17:39 --> Liljegren/Sandin/Lehtonen

Why not?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hedman: 26:27 --> Pietrangelo
McDonagh: 24:15 --> Muzzin
Sergachev: 22:36 --> Rielly
Cernak: 20:42 --> Holl
Shattenkirk: 19:30 --> Dermott
Bogoisan: 17:39 --> Liljegren/Sandin/Lehtonen

Why not?

Looks pretty good to me although I do like taking a hard look at Demelo for RHD depth. His underlying numbers are really damn good.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I had to bet I'd say he stays in STL but Pierre McGuire who usually keeps his thoughts on player movement close to the vest, yesterday said he thinks Petro leaves STL and if he does, I say the odds he lands here are high.
Don’t get me wrong. I love AP to be a Leafs but this is giving me more Stamkos vibe than JT vibe.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
Hedman McD Serge and Cernak are SO FAR superior to our top 4 of Rielly Muzzy Dermy and Holl it is a complete joke to even bring up a comparison. Comparing a top 4 defense to a bottom 4 defense. The bottom pair guys are important but they hardly play. I had a huge laugh when I read that. OMG Leaf fans so overvalue our defense. It is bottom 5 in league.
Leafs nation sees a guy like Holl have a good 10 games and think he's a good #4D when in reality he's a #6-#7 getting carried by our only good defensive D Muzzin.
It just doesn't register with people how behind the curve our defense is compared to legit contenders.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What's our PP looking like with AP:

Tavares
Nylander Matthews
Rielly AP

Tavares as net front presence, snipers in Matthews and Nylander on the wings, Rielly as PPQB, and AP as your point shot.

Sucks not having Marner on PP1 but Leafs lack a point shot.

Hyman
Robertson Mikheyev
Muzzin Marner

I have a hard time imagining they would remove their $11M PP QB from the 1st unit.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Tavares
Nylander Matthews
Rielly AP

Tavares as net front presence, snipers in Matthews and Nylander on the wings, Rielly as PPQB, and AP as your point shot.

Hyman
Robertson Mikheyev
Muzzin Marner

I think the Leafs would go 5 forwards on the PP before 2 defensemen. There is no chance they bump Marner from the PP to get Pietrangelo on it lol

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019

Tavares
Nylander Matthews
Rielly AP

Hyman
Robertson Mikheyev
Muzzin Marner

Now we're removing our best PP producer because some Leafs fans are still upset he made Dubas look incompetent in negotiations last year?

Reactions: hotpaws

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If I had to bet I'd say he stays in STL but Pierre McGuire who usually keeps his thoughts on player movement close to the vest, yesterday said he thinks Petro leaves STL and if he does, I say the odds he lands here are high.

I have little doubt he ends up here. I'm more interested in Kid Kyle's plan to accommodate his cap hit.

I sincerely hope it's a whole hell of a lot better than his plan was to accommodate JT's cap hit.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs nation sees a guy like Holl have a good 10 games and think he's a good #4D when in reality he's a #6-#7 getting carried by our only good defensive D Muzzin.
It just doesn't register with people how behind the curve our defense is compared to legit contenders.
It does with me when we have 1 guy Muzzy who would make Tampa's top 4 but only by beating out Cernak

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
With Pietrangelo it might be better to run two balanced powerplays. Especially if we add a RHS crease/bumper man like Perry or Simmonds.

I like that idea.

I would really love to see Nylander run his own PP. He's got the shot and the vision to do it. He feels so under utilized right now.

A core of Rielly-Nylander-Sandin-Robertson/Mikheyev has as much talent as some teams PP1.

Reactions: kb and Korg

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could be. If he wants front loaded contract with generational wealth, then Dubas will be his first call.
I still think he stays in St Louis, but if he’s done with them, then I think he ends in either Vegas or Boston.

If AP wants a big payday with heavy front loaded and full NMC then Toronto will be his first call and we will be considered the front runners for his services based on player agents opinion. So as Leaf fans we have to like our odds of landing him if Leafs are chasing him.

NHL Agent Poll: Maple Leafs’ Kyle Dubas Deemed Most Generous GM

A recent poll released by PuckPedia, a website that tracks contracts and salary cap situations in the NHL, suggests that Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas is — for better or worse — cozier with agents than the rest of his peers.

PuckPedia posed the following question: To get a great deal for your client, what GM would you most want to deal with? Dubas received 29 percent of the vote, while no other GM received more than six percent.

Dubas, who has only been Toronto’s GM since May 2018, opened up the checkbook and handed out four sizable contracts in a 15-month span (to John Tavares, Auston Matthews, William Nylander and Mitch Marner). Those contracts combine for 24 years and more than $240 million.

More specifically, the trio of Matthews ($11.634 million AAV), Tavares ($11 million AAV) and Marner ($10.893 million AAV) possess three of the seven highest salary cap hits in the league — creating an unprecedented extent of top-heaviness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Throw More Waffles

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I have a hard time imagining they would remove their $11M PP QB from the 1st unit.
So have 2 qbs and no point shot?

Or

Have two righties on the points (Marner and AP).

It makes sense to have a eighty and a lefty (one a QB and one a point shot) imo.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I think the Leafs would go 5 forwards on the PP before 2 defensemen. There is no chance they bump Marner from the PP to get Pietrangelo on it lol

So who are the points in your scenario that has
1 righty
2 lefty
3 qb
4 point shot

My suggestion : Rielly and AP check 4/4 boxes for point men on a PP.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Now we're removing our best PP producer because some Leafs fans are still upset he made Dubas look incompetent in negotiations last year?

1 righty
2 lefty
3 qb
4 point shot

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I have about a 1% belief we sign Petro and I think I am being optimistic.
I fully expect to be in the ,we signed who? why that guy?thats it?

That will be followed by Dubas at a media scrum pulling out his little black book of stats and saying we are very pleased to have gotten this dman because he does this very well and that well and he is what we were looking for to upgrade.

I will shake my head and say different year,different crap and another year flushed away.

I know,negative vibes all the way but until Dubas shows me he can do more,and I don't think he can, it is what I expect.
Yeah, I know - that is exactly what I did with Tavares and Spezza.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If AP wants a big payday with heavy front loaded and full NMC then Toronto will be his first call and we will be considered the front runners for his services based on player agents opinion. So as Leaf fans we have to like our odds of landing him if Leafs are chasing him.

A recent poll released by PuckPedia, a website that tracks contracts and salary cap situations in the NHL, suggests that Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas is — for better or worse — cozier with agents than the rest of his peers.

PuckPedia posed the following question: To get a great deal for your client, what GM would you most want to deal with? Dubas received 29 percent of the vote, while no other GM received more than six percent.

Dubas, who has only been Toronto’s GM since May 2018, opened up the checkbook and handed out four sizable contracts in a 15-month span (to John Tavares, Auston Matthews, William Nylander and Mitch Marner). Those contracts combine for 24 years and more than $240 million.

More specifically, the trio of Matthews ($11.634 million AAV), Tavares ($11 million AAV) and Marner ($10.893 million AAV) possess three of the seven highest salary cap hits in the league — creating an unprecedented extent of top-heaviness.

From a poll of 5 bitter agents, and don't you think the 30000 previous times you posted this would have sufficed? Or does it have to be in every thread too?

Be better.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm of the belief that the the ENTIRE Leafs defence DOES NOT need a major overhaul, but getting help for Rielly is a must.

Outside of Rielly...

Muzzin, Dermott, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren and Lehtonen is very good depth outside of the top pair in my honest opinion, especially because they can all move the puck.

Now if the Leafs can land a legit partner for Rielly AND get some asshole forwards in the bottom six that are pesky and can play D, they'll look much better on the defensive side of things.

And of course, your starting goalie needs to play like one as well.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas received 29 percent of the vote, while no other GM received more than six percent.

He didnt know what he was doing and should have bridged in those circumstances.

I would have 100% traded or sat Nylander. As a new GM, for Nylander to pull that crap. I show him who has the cards.

Reactions: egd27

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

You realize the same can be said for Erik Cernak, right?

Reactions: kb

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'm of the belief that the the ENTIRE Leafs defence DOES NOT need a major overhaul, but getting help for Rielly is a must.

Outside of Rielly...

Muzzin, Dermott, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren and Lehtonen is very good depth outside of the top pair in my honest opinion, especially because they can all move the puck.

Now if the Leafs can land a legit partner for Rielly AND get some asshole forwards in the bottom six that are pesky and can play D, they'll look much better on the defensive side of things.

And of course, your starting goalie needs to play like one as well.

One thing that's hard to really capture when looking at defence is that 2 players (or 1 pairing) play 25 minutes against the hardest competition. If you can just get two guys that hold their own on that pairing, every other pairing now plays less time, and against less compeition.

We don't need to be the Nashville Predators circa early 2010's with studs on all 3 pairings. We just need 1 pairing that doesn't get buried.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
1 righty
2 lefty
3 qb
4 point shot

When did they start using 2 "points" ?

Seems like it's more of a 1-3-1 to me.

(older pic, as an example)
PP-Leafs-1-3-1.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Could be. If he wants front loaded contract with generational wealth, then Dubas will be his first call.
I still think he stays in St Louis, but if he’s done with them, then I think he ends in either Vegas or Boston.

I find Boston and Vegas to be poor choices for a 30 year old UFA to be honest. I love the Vegas brand of hockey and how they come at you in waves but I feel like they’re closer to the San Jose Sharks from a few years ago just before the wheels came off than a team with real long term Stanley Cup upside. They also have a ton of expensive cap hits and will be a struggle to get rid of in this climate.

Whomever goes to Boston I think there’s the real risk of a decline. Now that Krug is leaving, rumours that Rask will retire soon, the fact that Chara will retire soon and Bergeron and Marchand won’t be in their primes forever, how much time do they have left? With all the chatter about retooling, do you want to be showing up just as the party is wrapping up?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
When did they start using 2 "points" ?

Seems like it's more of a 1-3-1 to me.

(older pic, as an example)
PP-Leafs-1-3-1.png

Even if we go with this set up (Paul may change it) the two wings you want your best snipers which are Matthew and Nylander, obviously you want Tavares in front.

Who is in the center? On the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad