Post-Game Talk: Alex Petrovic is elite: 4-3 Blues

Will you be watching tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yandle had that one gaffe tonight but he also had two standout defensive plays. He's been great. Ekblad slumped to open the season but I think has also been quite good lately. Weegar is a keeper and playing well. Kiselevich I think is more than just a bottom pairing body. Guy is a legit keeper. And Pysyk, who I have never been a fan of, is honestly playing perfectly fine hockey right now.

It's two guys who are ankle weights on this defense and it's plainly obvious. You put them out there together tonight and the result was a dumpster fire in the third period that cost the Panthers the game.

I want to defend Matheson because he has great talent, but I can't. He plays like a ********.

Well said.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Matheson has a place here. His talent is undeniable. I think he just needs to be put in a specific role with a steady partner. Playing him with Petro gives him no margin for error or no one to move the puck to when being pressured. Even his giveaway I think the winger was far too high and not down low enough to support. He literally had no one to pass to. Of course he could just ice it in that situation but he likes to make plays. He has had some
Crazy highs and lows this
Year that he needs to level out and a steady dman would def help with that. That’s our biggest weakness right now is another solid 2nd pair dman to play with him. No one else can really handle those minutes

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I want answers on why Petro played today first.

Why does a SCRUB slot in for one of our better D-Men AFTER he *****ed?

That's bull****.
Petro was in tonight in place of Kis because Petro is DT's draft pick and DT thinks he can move him at the TDL for a pick. I have always been a Petro supporter but it's clear he's seriously regressed. I doubt you'll see him again unless there's an injury.

Now I have to take to task Matheson. I have to laugh at how many times this guy tries to clear the zone around the boards and it's always easily handled by the opposition and yes it's a turnover. The man has no idea where he's going with the puck when his panic button is pushed. He has no chemistry with anyone on the blue line and is a waste except for the occasional rush up ice which he usually ends up turning over.

I stand by my position that the Cats cannot play for 3 periods. It's a tradition they started when Lu arrived and they got used to him bailing them out so they could rest their legs. Those days are over with but unfortunately the bad habit of taking a period off remains. They are a mentally weak mess that can't depend on anyone to pick up the slack except for the overused forward core. :(

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It's official this team has given up. You put Petrovic back onto the roster and play with your biggest turnover machine
You don't address the biggest needs as in goalie / defender and you play your worst dman over a better one

No moves have been made / will be made. This season is done if no major changes come NOW.

Just for the love of god don't deal the 1rst overall pick for a patch

Right now the only dman that should be safe are Yandle, Ekblad, Kiselivech. The rest can go

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I've noticed. I was just about to post '**** was so bad the goalie bashin crowd aint even goalie bashing'

I just re-felt the feeling I had while posting that too LOL
People have ripped on the goalies because they let ina bunch of weak goals and have generally sucked. No one has said anything because Roberto was fine today.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Matheson has a place here. His talent is undeniable. I think he just needs to be put in a specific role with a steady partner. Playing him with Petro gives him no margin for error or no one to move the puck to when being pressured. Even his giveaway I think the winger was far too high and not down low enough to support. He literally had no one to pass to. Of course he could just ice it in that situation but he likes to make plays. He has had some
Crazy highs and lows this
Year that he needs to level out and a steady dman would def help with that. That’s our biggest weakness right now is another solid 2nd pair dman to play with him. No one else can really handle those minutes
He could have just took his time, there was no pressure on him. Turnover happens, but that's just an unforced error.

Matheson Pysyk should be the third pairing and Petro should never be on the ice against the team's first line. I'll have to double check, but I think he was on the ice against the other team's first line for two goals against.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It's official this team has given up. You put Petrovic back onto the roster and play with your biggest turnover machine
You don't address the biggest needs as in goalie / defender and you play your worst dman over a better one

No moves have been made / will be made. This season is done if no major changes come NOW.

Just for the love of god don't deal the 1rst overall pick for a patch

Right now the only dman that should be safe are Yandle, Ekblad, Kiselivech. The rest can go
I assume Tallon's firing is already decided and the management won't let him mortgage the future for a shaky attempt at saving his job, heck, who knows if he still wants it.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Matheson with his classic half assed no look clear off the boards attempt and then move back in front of the net and just browse around wondering what should I do now

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Luongo and Reimer have been the achilles heel this season. Even tonight Lu could have helped by making a huge save. But he didn't let in a weak goal. If the goalies played like Lu tonight all season they'd have a bunch more points.

To tonight's game: Florida has lost more games leading after 2 already this year than they did all last year. Boughner had a really bad day. Stupid personnel choice and he didn't have the team ready to start the 3rd. Craig Berube is not well regarded as a coach and even he smartly used a timeout and had the Blues regrouped. That was missing tonight.

The last goal was a missed call on Matheson but Petrovic was so weak on his man and didn't support Barkov on the clear. He was absolutely brutal and there's no excuse for why he was playing.

Reactions: klabob

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I assume Tallon's firing is already decided and the management won't let him mortgage the future for a shaky attempt at saving his job, heck, who knows if he still wants it.

While I see that move coming. What scares me even more is what they will hire to replace him. There's no Mr. Torrey to guide them anymore.
Best case scenario is Pronger? Because otherwise it'll be someone who don't have any hockey track record but army career

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
People have ripped on the goalies because they let ina bunch of weak goals and have generally sucked. No one has said anything because Roberto was fine today.
Another meet me in the middle post in one night lol- they've blamed goalies even on goals where they shouldn't and it's entirely because of the goals you descrive above that nobody argues. Like pretty much any goal Matheson and Petro have been on the ice for this year.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
And to think we actually had expectations at the start of the year.
When I look at this poll :biglaugh::biglaugh::cry: :cry:

This is a lesson from the Hockey Gods. "You foolish puny mortals, you actually believed that the Florida Panthers should experience some success??? What herecy! Need to squash those dangerous ideas once and for all."

We get it now. We're sorry. Just... make it stop, please. It hurts so bad.

23YearsandCounting

Oct 11, 2018
HEy look. We lose in the final stages of the 3rd once again. You can’t make this horror story up. This team is a joke.

Culture of losing still going strong 2018!!!

23YearsandCounting

Oct 11, 2018
While I see that move coming. What scares me even more is what they will hire to replace him. There's no Mr. Torrey to guide them anymore.
Best case scenario is Pronger? Because otherwise it'll be someone who don't have any hockey track record but army career

It’s the Panthers. They will bring in s guy who they use as s puppet. Ownership will continue to put this team in the worst position possible we will lose Barkov, Huberdeau ETC... when their contracts are over, just think of us as a farm system for high picks who will go off and win with respectable organizations once their time here is done.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
But i really want now Matheson get Benched 3 or 4 Games, so they can show case petrovic and Matheson has a bit time to breath and find his Game.

Even when Pronger says their must be development. But that no look pass turn over in the own Zone, was to much. He wasn´t even under pressure, he played the Puck only on. Without even watching where are the other Teams Player. In my Opinion was this the little extra cumb play, mistake that garanty you get placed on the Bench.
If a Player get 1 or 4 Million or 7 or 11 Million, if you make that kind of play to often, something happen, and bad plays from Matheson are now so high up, its time to give this Kid time to think and analyse what can i do better and what should i do better then this.

What a slump lost, you don´t give them much you dont get much and we always the Team who makes the first Mistake, misplays and it always the same Players.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Viola - Dale, WTF is happening with the team? You assured me they would be in the playoffs this year.

Dale - Mr. Viola, who knew we would lose a 70 point player like Vinnie Trochek? Then Lou gets hurt on top of that. Don't worry, next season when those guys are healthy you'll see!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Trade Petro for a 7th, I don't care. Waive him if you have to - he's terrible and he/his brother are constantly whining. If you need a 7th D call up MacDonald or another of the Springfield guys.

Matheson... yeah, I don't know what you do with him. Really wish we hadn't signed him to that eight year contract. Here's the thought, if we demote him to the third pair or bench him, can two of Weegar, Kiselevich and Pysyk handle the second pair duties or at least be an improvement?
At the very least keep him far away from Petro.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Went to bed 1-0. Seems about right. Petroshit on the ice for 3 also. Bet he plays 50+ games this season too. Coddle garbage. Matheson was also pathetic tonight from those highlights. Jesus he needs to sit.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad