Alex Ovechkin spears Trent Frederic in the groin (fined $5,000)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You don’t speak to Mr. Sakic. There was even a moment where Pastrnak patted him and told him that was enough, and to sit down. (Or probably not him but somebody)

There are guys who deserve a certain level of respect, and there are also guys that you don’t want to wake up if you don’t have to. Frederic was making both mistakes, that’s not wise.

trip a guy into the boards, try to throw with him, and he looks at you like “are you serious? Who are you, even?” going back for more is going to get you, and there’s no reason for Ovechkin to be fair about it. It’s like, you don’t challenge bugs to a duel with pistols at ten paces, you swat them and move on.

I didn't realize there could be so much wrong/false information all bundled up in one post until i read this.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Doubt it. Wilson was chewed out for fighting him last time by coaches. Lavvy basically said the guy is too garbage to grant fights to and don't do it.

If you must say "basically" then we know that was never said. Also, Washington has Hathaway, a borderline NHL 4th player themselves. I would not even want Tinordi wasting his time on the likes of Hathaway, aside from the pure enjoyment of that beating. Washington would be more than accepting of a Hathaway-Frederic trade for five minutes.

Reactions: Score8

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Apr_04_2017_18_48_26.gif

2 Games. Fair for a repeat offender. So 1 game for Ovi?

Dotchin was engaged in a legitimate battle in front of the net with Marchand, and without even looking at Dotchin, Marchand, in a clandestine fashion, takes out his members.

Ovi was the obsession of a yappy little puppy all game who was trying his damndest to goad him into a fight and or injure him. Finally, after two cheap crosschecks to the arm, Ovi did what all larger dogs do and put the yappy little puppy in its place.

Trying to match what Marchand did here to Frederic getting an early vasectomy is some AAA mental gymnastics.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I really doubt anyone said anything to Frederic. Ovi lost his respect from the Bruins team after he knocked Carlo out of the playoffs with this hit.

It is beyond obvious in this video that this was the result of shitty physics.

Ovi had no malicious intent here. Carlo was on his way down and Ovi was to close to stop in time. Ovi even apologies to the guy right after the hit and again when he's down on the ice being looked at by his teammates.

Stop trying to match this up with what happened to that nobody.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If you must say "basically" then we know that was never said. Also, Washington has Hathaway, a borderline NHL 4th player themselves. I would not even want Tinordi wasting his time on the likes of Hathaway, aside from the pure enjoyment of that beating. Washington would be more than accepting of a Hathaway-Frederic trade for five minutes.
If you need a press release to explain to you what anyone who has watched the sport before should know, that's on you.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Ovi had no malicious intent here. Carlo was on his way down and Ovi was to close to stop in time. Ovi even apologies to the guy right after the hit and again when he's down on the ice being looked at by his teammates.

Ovechkin apologized after ending Carlo's season via boarding? Quite generous and kind!

Ovechkin crosses the line often with charges that are not called charging. In a recent game vs the Bruins Ovechkin charges from the blue line to obliterate a Bruin well behind the play simply because he had been hit prior in the shift.

Pretending he is a victim does not do Ovechkin credit. He and Malkin turn their tantrums to physicality which I will always enjoy over Crosby's nonsense, but there is a line Ovechkin crosses, irrefutably.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Lmaoooooooo sorry but this is hilarious. Glad he got the fine, could have even been a suspension..but play stupid games win stupid prizes. Crosschecks are f*ckery earlier and to the wrists...on a legend...ain't gunna fly.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
To your point I don't recall Nick ever fighting Tom.... and in my very humble opinion, a face full of blood usually means the fight at the very best was a draw.
Which is why I said earlier that i mistook Brett for Nick.

As for the blood thing, I can't agree. If a guy tees off on a dude and then gets clipped with a grazing blow that causes a nose bleed, that to me doesn't warrant a draw.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Ovechkin apologized after ending Carlo's season via boarding? Quite generous and kind!

Ovechkin crosses the line often with charges that are not called charging. In a recent game vs the Bruins Ovechkin charges from the blue line to obliterate a Bruin well behind the play simply because he had been hit prior in the shift.

Pretending he is a victim does not do Ovechkin credit. He and Malkin turn their tantrums to physicality which I will always enjoy over Crosby's nonsense, but there is a line Ovechkin crosses, irrefutably.

His strategy after injuring a player is to find the nearest linesman, stay as close to him as possible, and act like he's sorry. Zero integrity.

Reactions: Score8

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There wouldn't be this thread if Ovi hit him back.

Ovi speared him in the nuts though lol.
There's a difference between getting into it with a guy in his 20's vs. a guy in his 30's or older. A guy in his 20's wants to look cool show off and let everyone know how tough he is. A guy in his 30's or older wants to end the fight and is going to do it in the quickest manner possible because for the most part, he knows he isn't as young as he used to be and doesn't have time to F around. Ovi just let junior know the stove is hot. He tried telling him, and it didn't work. Then he held his hand to it. If he comes back a third time the boy better bring a fire extinguisher with him.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Bitch move by Ovy just like it was a bitch move when Crosby did it to O'Reilly. The Caps fans defending this are hilarious.
There's a very large difference between these 2 plays. One was in the middle of the play and seemingly unprovoked. In Ovi's situation he was being hit after the play, and did it as a retaliation to someone hitting him when they shouldn't be.

Doesn't make it okay, but it definitely makes it incomparable to Crosby's incident.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Frederic has that face you just want to punch. Gotta' do whatever it takes to stay in the NHL. But, yeah, hard to feel bad for him here.

Reactions: shtorm2005

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
They never said this outside of his first year because Wilson wasn't a garbage hockey player and every team knows this. Are we still going with the laughable cliche that Tom Wilson is a bad hockey player and just a goon?
Tom Wilson was absolutely a garbage player hos first 4 years. Turned his career around nicely

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

You're right. This is much worse than what happened to Frederic since Frederic didn't get hurt by Ovi's actions unlike Carlo.

I'm surprised Ovi's apology didn't cure Carlo's concussion he got from that hit that ended his season since it was so classy.

"Hey sorry I didn't pull up and drilled you into the boards from behind ending your season right before the playoffs"

Carlo should have sent him a thank you card for that display of pure class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad