Alex Ovechkin spears Trent Frederic in the groin (fined $5,000)

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
If he was on any other team but Boston, he would have been instantly called for dropping his gloves and stick and grabbing Ovi.

Look up the rules and get back to me. As matter of fact, someone already posted the rules about this very topic a few pages back and why it wouldn’t be a penalty.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
If you must say "basically" then we know that was never said. Also, Washington has Hathaway, a borderline NHL 4th player themselves. I would not even want Tinordi wasting his time on the likes of Hathaway, aside from the pure enjoyment of that beating. Washington would be more than accepting of a Hathaway-Frederic trade for five minutes.
Hathaway is a 20 point 4th liner that can penalty kill, bring toughness, and has had good actual and expected GF%’s so far in his career. Frederic has 3 points in 37 career games. I’m not sure what makes you think that Frederic is better than Hathaway, or that Hathaway is a borderline 4th liner.

Yeah Frederic is young and will likely improve, but by all accounts, both of those takes are clearly not true right now.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Hathaway is a 20 point 4th liner that can penalty kill, bring toughness, and has had good actual and expected GF%’s so far in his career. Frederic has 3 points in 37 career games. I’m not sure what makes you think that Frederic is better than Hathaway, or that Hathaway is a borderline 4th liner.

Yeah Frederic is young and will likely improve, but by all accounts, both of those takes are clearly not true right now.

Hathaway has never gotten 20 points in his career.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
His career pace equates to a 19.33 pace per 82 games played. With his PK and forechecking ability as well as his grit, he is easily a 4th line player on most teams. Pretty silly to call him a borderline 4th liner.

This thread is full of hyperbole, including calling a kid with 37 games of experience a bust. I agree with you that he isn't borderline, he's clearly a valuable 4th liner.

Reactions: caps4cup

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I do not in any way condone what Ovi did, but considering what Frederic had been doing earlier, and had just done, I have to say it was expected, if not entirely deserved. I hope he learned his lesson.

If he had done that to Gordie Howe, he'd be recovering from a concussion caused by an elbow to the head.

Reactions: Another AZ

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
A little more than a cup of coffee. It is 0.0005% of his salary.

$5000 / $10,000,000 = 0.0005.

To a regular person making $50,000 a year, $5000 for Ovechkin is equivalent to $25 for the regular person.

So basically 10 Chicken McNuggets, medium fries, medium Coke, and a McFlurry at McDonald's and have it delivered from Uber Eats with 15% tip included.
Suddenly 10 chicken nuggets sounds steep.

Reactions: Nihiliste

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Wilson tried that last game, he found out the hard way the kid could handle himself. which is why neither him or ovi wanted to lock up with him. And that’s why ovi stabbed in him the junk.

I don't think you understand these guys. It isn't about "beating up the other kid." It's about the code and stepping up. This kid could pummel Wilson 10 times, and Wilson will step up for the 11th.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I don't think you understand these guys. It isn't about "beating up the other kid." It's about the code and stepping up. This kid could pummel Wilson 10 times, and Wilson will step up for the 11th.

I feel like Wilson is reaching the point as a player where he's past fighting some kid and going away for 5 minutes. He's one of the highest scoring players on the team.

Where's the benefit in him continuing to be cast as the team's goon, only because of his part performances?

These days, Wilson fighting some random 4th line dude, is a net loss for Washington.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
I feel like Wilson is reaching the point as a player where he's past fighting some kid and going away for 5 minutes. He's one of the highest scoring players on the team.

Where's the benefit in him continuing to be cast as the team's goon, because of his part performances?

These days, Wilson fighting some random 4th line dude, is a net loss for Washington.

Well someone may want to inform Mr Wilson of that because these 2 already fought a weeks ago.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Where's the benefit in him continuing to be cast as the team's goon, only because of his part performances?

Problem is that he isn't past the blind side hits and head shots which other players consider unfriendly. It doesnt benefit him, its more a result of being a dick.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Problem is that he isn't past the blind side hits and head shots which other players consider unfriendly. It doesnt benefit him, its more a result of being a dick.

If he pulls a dick move, then sure. But as far as him going after another team's player, not a good idea in my book.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
And what did it amount to? A comeback win for Boston.

There's no point in him doing it again.

I agree with you, the kid did his job in both games. My comment was directed to the poster who claimed Wilson was passing the point of fighting scrub 4 liners . Clearly he is not since they just fought.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Wilson tried that last game, he found out the hard way the kid could handle himself. which is why neither him or ovi wanted to lock up with him. And that’s why ovi stabbed in him the junk.
If you honestly think that's the reason seek help. Laviolette let Wilson know that it was a stupid decision to drop the gloves with a nobody and that's why there was no response and lol at thinking Ovi would fight this dude. You can't know much about hockey if this is your rationale here.

Reactions: Another AZ

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His career pace equates to a 19.33 pace per 82 games played. With his PK and forechecking ability as well as his grit, he is easily a 4th line player on most teams. Pretty silly to call him a borderline 4th liner.

I've simply never been impressed with Hathaway's fake tough act. He likes to run around yet scares no one. A very replaceable piece where he is able to be several slots back on the toughness depth chart for Washington, and acts tougher for it in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad