Alex Ovechkin spears Trent Frederic in the groin (fined $5,000)

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Pretty sure Draisaitl got ejected from a playoffs game for doing the same. Not sure why this is funny or amusing to some.

I have no idea either. Its a dangerous play and should be punished heavily, no excuses to do that deliberately. 5 minutes + a couple of games suspension should be the minimum. The leauge and refs are killing the NHL by letting things like this slide.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m not all that surprised Ovechkin did it. He’s being cross checked and challenged by a rookie nobody. No chance he’s taking that fight and he shouldn’t have to. There’s probably another way to go about retaliating, and this is still a pretty dick move, but whatever

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Kid was trying to get some face time. Instead got some nuts time. Be at least 1% of a somebody before you go after the greatest goal scorer of all time all game. Nhl got it right on this one. Maybe even the fine was a little much.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Link? or are you making this up in your head? That's kind of Wilson's role, when he's not cheap shotting helpless players

If you must say "basically" then we know that was never said. Also, Washington has Hathaway, a borderline NHL 4th player themselves. I would not even want Tinordi wasting his time on the likes of Hathaway, aside from the pure enjoyment of that beating. Washington would be more than accepting of a Hathaway-Frederic trade for five minutes.
Peter Laviolette was not a fan of Tom Wilson’s third-period fight with Trent Frederic. Wilson: ‘I have to be smarter.’

No need to be rude. Here you go.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
That guy also fed Wilson some fist sammies the last time they fought and it didn’t really help the caps. So I’m sure that’s what their coach was upset about. And its most certainly why ovi chose to cheap shot him instead of fighting him. Ovi knew the kid could handle himself in a scrap and wanted nothing to do with it, plain and simple.
Nothing really happened in that first fight. Let's not act like Wilson got handled. Second fight Wilson won easily. I'm sure he's not worried about a rematch except in the context of him being off the ice. See article above.

Last edited:

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
I wouldn't call spearing a guy in the nuts "taking care of business."

I've never understood the blasé attitude the league takes towards players spearing one another in the groin. And I'm not just talking about this incident. They didn't even used to fine players for it. Yes players are wearing cups but those are designed to protect from impact from the front, not a players stick from underneath.

Meh, look what cross checks can do.

You're cross checking arguable the greatest shooting wrists of all time... retaliation is warranted. I don't like groin spears, especially how most of them are from behind on unsuspecting players. This was not that. He was instigating it and deserved what he got.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
This is your opinion though. The rulebook says spearing is a major penalty, so essentially it is a “big deal” when it happens

Its not as big of a deal as an illegal check to the head or a bad hit from behind, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worthy of discussion

Major penalties happen often in games ;)

A match penalty on the other hand... Sure, eject him, whatever. He didn't cause injury. I've seen Corey Perry receive countless sticks to the groin. None were ever ejected. Either we call them all, or don't sweat em. That's why it's not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad