Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Pronman: Most intriguing prospect to watch at camp for every...

With NHL training camps opening next week, I’ll be discussing one young player from each team who I’ll be watching closely. This is not pointing out who the team’s top prospect is, but rather who is interesting to me, for one reason or another.

Buffalo: Alexander Nylander, LW

While most of the Buffalo camp attention will deservedly be on Rasmus Dahlin and Casey Mittelstadt, nobody’s progression is more critical at this moment than Nylander, who has not progressed as quickly at the AHL level as some may have hoped after he was a top 10 pick two summers ago. Getting stronger and quicker over the summer will be important for him, and he needs to show he’s more than just a skilled player but one who can win battles versus men. Mittelstadt and Dahlin have spots secured in likely prominent roles. Nylander still has a lot more to prove.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
From my post game review:

Nylander: The first period was pretty bad. Then in the second, he scores on a ridiculous move (setup by a ridiculous effort play by Asplund). Then suddenly in the third, he was a different player. Super creative. Decisive. Two way. Skated with great speed. was HUGE on the penalty kill. If that's Nylander's true form, he's an elite prospect. Let's see more man.
He was faster than I remembered. Still not ready to think he's destined for the NHL but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday, even though he still has a ways to go.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What is the current scouting report on Alex right now?

Even before the draft everyone was saying he was the more talented of the Nylander brothers (I think even Willy made that claim), but to date he hasn't shown as much in the minors.

Is it a skill issue? Confidence? Hockey IQ?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

Even before the draft everyone was saying he was the more talented of the Nylander brothers (I think even Willy made that claim), but to date he hasn't shown as much in the minors.

JMHO, but he is a bit more skilled but lacks experience in a game where his skill isn’t enough. He needs a bit more drive to contribute when he doesn’t have the puck or his linemates can’t get it to him. He seems to lack anticipation for where the play is going and looks lost as a result. That I beleive can be coached and worked on.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

It was definitely the opposite. William was always the more talented brother and at no point was Alex ever considered better or more talented. It sounds like another case of someone not hearing things fully. It's how we got the sound bite that Jared was the best Staal brother when he actually was the worst.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
JMHO, but he is a bit more skilled but lacks experience in a game where his skill isn’t enough. He needs a bit more drive to contribute when he doesn’t have the puck or his linemates can’t get it to him. He seems to lack anticipation for where the play is going and looks lost as a result. That I beleive can be coached and worked on.

Yeah, totally.

It could be one of those issues where the player relied on a certain set of moves/anticipations on ice that was sufficient in juniors settings. But the pro level is just a split second faster in terms of opponents' reactions, and this would frustrate many of the player's moves and decisions. Some players will be able to adapt over time to become even faster at decision making, or make their moves more efficient to compensate, but there are probably some that never do.

See someone like Dylan Strome the last couple of years, or JHS on the Islanders, or Zacha on the Devils, some players are able to gradually adapt. But then you have other examples like Burmistrov, that just never get over the hump.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s a 40-60 point guy in the NHL, much of that is going to be PP production. He’s very good at that.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
With the 3 first round picks we have this year he may be part of a package deal to get another top dman,if he doesn't turn thins around soon.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
This is Nylanders last chance with Buffalo so he needs too have a big year

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This is Nylanders last chance with Buffalo so he needs too have a big year

Not sure about that, I would say that he needs to make a marked improvement in both zones with and without the puck. Whether that is in Buffalo or out of it. Botterill isn't known to give up players as long as they show improvement. If he skates well and continues to play at pace and plays all of his shifts at full speed 110% his skill can match his input. He's put on good size so that he's not going to be pushed around as easily. Now let's see him develop some chemistry with Asplund in Rochester or force the issue and show you're ready stealing a spot from one of the Baptiste, Bailey group. Show up to work!

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Not sure about that, I would say that he needs to make a marked improvement in both zones with and without the puck. Whether that is in Buffalo or out of it. Botterill isn't known to give up players as long as they show improvement. If he skates well and continues to play at pace and plays all of his shifts at full speed 110% his skill can match his input. He's put on good size so that he's not going to be pushed around as easily. Now let's see him develop some chemistry with Asplund in Rochester or force the issue and show you're ready stealing a spot from one of the Baptiste, Bailey group. Show up to work!

Well said TC

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

He requires a roster spot after this year and there’s plenty of other players who look to show they’re earning one. He’s caught in the numbers even if he’s slow.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He requires a roster spot after this year and there’s plenty of other players who look to show they’re earning one. He’s caught in the numbers even if he’s slow.
He has too much talent to waive.

He would be gifted a spot next year if that is the case.

On a side note that move for the goal was sick. This kid could be key in this team taking the next step.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Definitely encouraged by his performance in the first handful of prospect games. You can see the increased effort defensively and competing for pucks. Plus the goals are nice. Hope he carries that into training camp and the regular season.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The kid just turned 20. This isn't the NFL where draft picks come in at 23 years old. He looked good at the tournament, let him build on that. Team him with Asplund in Rochester and let him build his confidence back at the pro level. He has all the skills, he needs to make a positive step this year but it is not end of the line if he doesn't make the Sabres out of camp.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Why does cap friendly have Nylander's contract as 'entry level slide'? He's showing up as signed through 2021, and on his contract page, it says it slides. Does his contract not kick in unless he plays a certain number of NHL games? He should be in his third year of his 3 year deal, right?

Buffalo Sabres signed Alexander Nylander (3 Years / $1,713,333 AAV) - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Nope his contract did slide the last two years the same as a U20 playing in the OHL would’ve slid. This will be the first year taken off his ELC I believe

Edit: the number of NHL games he would’ve had to play would be 10

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Nylander is entering year 3 of what is now a five year ELC. 18/19 year olds under contract generally have their ELC extended if they play fewer than 10 NHL games in a season.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad