Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At this point so many had written him off or at least downgraded their expectations that if he has a breakout season and becomes an NHL contributor it's found money for the Sabres. Some players are late bloomers so here's hoping he is one of them.

I have to remind myself his elc hasn’t even started yet. There’s no point doing anything but waiting and crossing fingers. If he can develop it would solve a lot.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I'm not as hopeful but if he turns out to be one of those players that magically plays way better in the NHL than the minors, it would help fill the biggest hole on this team right now. I guess we all can hope.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Based on the meager LW depth chart, I'm happy to give him practices and the first two preseason games in the top 6. Based on that performance, maybe the last two as well (he'll probably sit a few for other guys in between, like every year).

That may not seem like a lot of time, but if your running theory is he's warming benches in the AHL now but will be killer effective on the line of an elite NHL playmaker if he gets there -- okay, fine, he's got like two games to show it.

The NHL is not a developmental league. If he needs to do some slow development there because he can't develop to be a top player in the AHL, he's asking too much. Show up ready to contribute.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
He got jacked up last summer, looks not much different now. He may have grown a bit, he looks 3 inches taller than William now.

doh, they are on an incline.

but Alex is definitely a couple inches taller, this from a couple years ago.

DiXJDWmWsAAICaQ.jpg
Is that the new member of My Chemical Romance?

Reactions: sabremike

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I just rewatched 3 or Sweden's WJC games for 2018 since I didn't pay that close attention to Dahlen thinking the Sabres would never win the lottery. Nylander was very good in the tournament.

He's done well for himself when he's had the opportunity to play against his peers. He really just wasn't ready for the pros these last few seasons. Hopefully that changes this year. His draft peers are now also hitting the AHL, and his ELC stops sliding. I was pleasantly surprised by his play in his call-up last year, and he ramped up his production at the AHL level last spring...Fingers crossed that's the start of an upward trajectory and not just a hot streak.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I was wondering if we should consider adding Michael Nylander to Rochester's coaching staff for a year. Maybe Dad can get him going, not really concerned about coddling him, we need him to become a productive NHL player.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was wondering if we should consider adding Michael Nylander to Rochester's coaching staff for a year. Maybe Dad can get him going, not really concerned about coddling him, we need him to become a productive NHL player.
I am in favor of this entirely because I was a Whalers fan and have fond memories of him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That sounds like an extremely bad idea to me.

I wouldn't want a prospect's father anywhere near an official role with the club.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Alex may surprise this season. Sabres need him to pan out. I am going out on a limb and say he will. His years of development in the AHL have been no way to sugarcoat it. A disappointment. But he may do better at the NHL level. I was very high on him his draft year, so I am hoping he starts putting it together by maturing from a boy into a man. The skills and hockey IQ were always there.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That sounds like an extremely bad idea to me.

I wouldn't want a prospect's father anywhere near an official role with the club.

Absolutely agree here. Keep dad away from Alex. Really for me, Alex just needs to mature. I think he is the type of player that will do better in the NHL than the AHL. Just being around more skill will help his game. This is the year he really needs to show he is a top 10 prospect. He turned 20, he is no longer a boy needing dad's help. He has to grow up and want it. He has the skill and hockey IQ to be a good NHL player. It's truly up to him. If he wants it, he needs to assert himself, and lose some of the softness that the Nylander's seem to have in their game.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Absolutely agree here. Keep dad away from Alex. Really for me, Alex just needs to mature. I think he is the type of player that will do better in the NHL than the AHL. Just being around more skill will help his game. This is the year he really needs to show he is a top 10 prospect. He turned 20, he is no longer a boy needing dad's help. He has to grow up and want it. He has the skill and hockey IQ to be a good NHL player. It's truly up to him. If he wants it, he needs to assert himself, and lose some of the softness that the Nylander's seem to have in their game.

I wasn't even thinking about how it would affect Alex.

I was thinking about the messed up dynamic for the entire team and coaching staff if a prominent prospect's father is added to the coaching staff.

What does that do to Taylor's authority? Do other players look at Michael as a lesser coach because they view his hire as just because he is Alex's dad?

No thank you.

Reactions: Rasmi

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Your hopes and fear about this guy this season?
I hope he gets as many games as possible in NHL. If no NHL then i hope he grows some insane chemestry with the AHL line he will be in.

I fear all will be like before, no progress at all.

But i would not give up hope on the kid yet anyway. Many Swedes has been late bloomers.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Your hopes and fear about this guy this season?
I hope he gets as many games as possible in NHL. If no NHL then i hope he grows some insane chemestry with the AHL line he will be in.

I fear all will be like before, no progress at all.

But i would not give up hope on the kid yet anyway. Many Swedes has been late bloomers.
I hope that he starts the season in the AHL, first line and #1 PP and really shapes into form as a scoring-line threat. He needs to dominate before thinking about serious NHL ice.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
For young players looking to make an impression at training camp with the Buffalo Sabres, the Prospects Challenge serves as a springboard. It's a chance to shake off the rust against top prospects from three organizations, an advantage their veteran counterparts won't have when camp opens next week.
Nobody knows the importance of this weekend better than Alex Nylander. Nylander arrived in Buffalo at this time last year bigger and stronger than he had been in the spring, his sights set on securing an NHL roster spot as a second-year pro. His development stood out during a practice with his fellow prospects.
Things changed quickly when it was announced that Nylander would miss the entirety of the Prospects Challenge with a lower-body injury. The severity of the injury snowballed, first forcing him to miss the entirety of training camp and then the first month and a half of his season in Rochester.
Needless to say, Nylander is grateful that he'll be in the lineup for the Sabres when they open the Prospects Challenge against the New Jersey Devils on Friday night.
"Last year was really unfortunate what happened," Nylander said. "I'm just very fortunate that I'm here now and I can show what kind of player I am in this camp and get ready for the season."

More

Finally getting some good news regarding this guy and not how much of a bust he is. Let's hope he can really up his game this year ...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't think he's a bust, but I'd still take 10-to-1 odds that he's in Rochester to start the year. This camp is a chance to develop for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad