Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think he's a bust, but I'd still take 10-to-1 odds that he's in Rochester to start the year. This camp is a chance to develop for him.
That's where he should be unless he blows the doors off the competition. The prospects this team has is ridiculous if he pans out. Add 3 firsts next year, sheesh.

DobHoc

Oct 29, 2011
All you guys who think Alex is a bust is going to get a rude awakening!

He was really good at WJC. He is 20...so calling him a "bust" right now is just ridiculous. I remember when Vic Hedman came to NHL...guy looked like he didn´t belong. But today everyone know who he is.

I´m not a Sabres fan...but will catch some games to see how Dahlin AND Nylander is doing. You guys got a future team....i expect Mittlestadt to break out this year...and maybe that Olofsson kid...he looked pretty good. What a future team you guys have!

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
All you guys who think Alex is a bust is going to get a rude awakening!

He was really good at WJC. He is 20...so calling him a "bust" right now is just ridiculous. I remember when Vic Hedman came to NHL...guy looked like he didn´t belong. But today everyone know who he is.

I´m not a Sabres fan...but will catch some games to see how Dahlin AND Nylander is doing. You guys got a future team....i expect Mittlestadt to break out this year...and maybe that Olofsson kid...he looked pretty good. What a future team you guys have!
There's a little more nuance to the opinions of people who are down on Alex than you're assuming

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
And that is?
It's not simply that the skill hasn't been there - 18 goals in 117 games since being drafted. We understand that prospects can start slow and some take years to become NHL-ready, so nobody is completely writing him off.

But underneath that production, there hasn't been a player with a burning desire to score more, to play better. Consistent reporting on this forum and others from people who have seen him play dozens of games over the last two years is that he doesn't have the on-ice drive that propels people with limited skill into an NHL lineup. This drive hasn't gotten better over time, it's been exactly the same. I get my posts edited for saying this so I shouldn't, but internally the organizational view is that they'll be surprised if he ever becomes an NHL player, despite what they say to cameras, because they see it too. They aren't benching him in AHL playoff games because he can't compete - as you can see on instagram, the dude is in incredible shape and isn't too small/overwhelmed by the league - it's because he WON'T compete when he's on the ice. He shies away from the play, from the puck, from contact. He floats and plays disinterested hockey, and no matter how silky his mitts are in warmups, 18 goals in 117 games is not a level of skill that overcomes a lack of on-ice engagement that has been consistent of him since the first game after he was drafted, and followed him to being healthy-scratched for his most recent on-ice action, AHL playoff games, solely because of it.

He could turn around this fundamental aspect of who he is as a player, but a betting man wouldn't put money on it, so many fans are rightly skeptical. At the same time, anything is possible, so there's no harm in keeping him around and hoping.

But it's not simply that his production has been limited in AHL action. He needs to fundamentally change and we won't believe it until we see it because that's a switch that demonstrably rarely gets switched at this stage of the game.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
It's not simply that the skill hasn't been there - 18 goals in 117 games since being drafted. We understand that prospects can start slow and some take years to become NHL-ready, so nobody is completely writing him off.

But underneath that production, there hasn't been a player with a burning desire to score more, to play better. Consistent reporting on this forum and others from people who have seen him play dozens of games over the last two years is that he doesn't have the on-ice drive that propels people with limited skill into an NHL lineup. This drive hasn't gotten better over time, it's been exactly the same. I get my posts edited for saying this so I shouldn't, but internally the organizational view is that they'll be surprised if he ever becomes an NHL player, despite what they say to cameras, because they see it too. They aren't benching him in AHL playoff games because he can't compete - as you can see on instagram, the dude is in incredible shape and isn't too small/overwhelmed by the league - it's because he WON'T compete when he's on the ice. He shies away from the play, from the puck, from contact. He floats and plays disinterested hockey, and no matter how silky his mitts are in warmups, 18 goals in 117 games is not a level of skill that overcomes a lack of on-ice engagement that has been consistent of him since the first game after he was drafted, and followed him to being healthy-scratched for his most recent on-ice action, AHL playoff games, solely because of it.

He could turn around this fundamental aspect of who he is as a player, but a betting man wouldn't put money on it, so many fans are rightly skeptical. At the same time, anything is possible, so there's no harm in keeping him around and hoping.

But it's not simply that his production has been limited in AHL action. He needs to fundamentally change and we won't believe it until we see it because that's a switch that demonstrably rarely gets switched at this stage of the game.
He was hurt last year.

Reactions: Dingo44

DobHoc

Oct 29, 2011

Thank you for for elaborate answer. Still, there are plenty of players who did not live up tp the hype immidiately. Eichel (to name one of your own), the twins in Vancouver...and so on and so on.

He is young....i don´t think his drive has nothing to do with him not wanting it....i think it´s a confidence issue. His father and brother have HUGE confidence. He, is so nervous and akward in inreviews....but underneath that...there is some serious elite level skills. Give him some time...his confidence will grow...and will be a 1:st liner. I belive that he will crack the lineup this year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thank you for for elaborate answer. Still, there are plenty of players who did not live up tp the hype immidiately. Eichel (to name one of your own), the twins in Vancouver...and so on and so on.

He is young....i don´t think his drive has nothing to do with him not wanting it....i think it´s a confidence issue. His father and brother have HUGE confidence. He, is so nervous and akward in inreviews....but underneath that...there is some serious elite level skills. Give him some time...his confidence will grow...and will be a 1:st liner. I belive that he will crack the lineup this year.

His first two seasons post-draft are looking a lot more like Grigorenko than Eichel.

And 17 years passed between when the Sedins were drafted and when Nylander was drafted.

Just because they were late developers doesn't mean that Nylander will follow the same path.

I also think that people are worried because William developed a lot faster than Alex has.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He’s playing w Casey on the PP but not even strength, which is curious to me. Don’t want to read much into that, but it’s worth noting.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not all fans give prospects time to develop. Mainly due to draft position. Impatience is pervasive for some.
You see, if you are drafted in the top 10 of any draft, then gosh darn it (slaps knee) you should be able to contribute in a big way on the big club right away. And if you don’t, then the doubts start to creep in for some fans. Then if you don’t do well the following year, then Jesus, Mary and Joseph! You are the beginnings of a bust. And heaven forbid, you struggle when you’re 20-21. I mean c’mon! Top 10 pick and you can’t even excel and be great 3 years after your bloody draft!

And I love the timeline of 21, not a bust.
But 22! Oh yea. Bust-o-Rama!
Age is everything to some. Just like draft position or pointzzz is everything to others. Or maybe it’s the same people.

:biglaugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not all fans give prospects time to develop. Mainly due to draft position. Impatience is pervasive for some.
You see, if you are drafted in the top 10 of any draft, then gosh darn it (slaps knee) you should be able to contribute in a big way on the big club right away. And if you don’t, then the doubts start to creep in for some fans. Then if you don’t do well the following year, then Jesus, Mary and Joseph! You are the beginnings of a bust. And heaven forbid, you struggle when you’re 20-21. I mean c’mon! Top 10 pick and you can’t even excel and be great 3 years after your bloody draft!

Age is everything to some. Just like draft position or pointzzz is everything to others. Or maybe it’s the same people.

Some people are still saying that Grigorenko is young and give him time.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Icicle and ZZamboni

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

How about making it a dichotomy of bust/not-bust is pretty unhelpful, he's underperformed his draft status so far, but could still turn into a top 6 winger.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Won’t be surprised at all to see Nylander make the opening night roster out of camp.

Edit: I take it back. No chance.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The problem (as stated above) is that it's the people who both see him the most and are closest to the situation who are the most negative about him, not random posters here. That's the scary part: the people who know the most about him think he's going to be a total washout.

Reactions: jc17

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
From my post game review:

Nylander: The first period was pretty bad. Then in the second, he scores on a ridiculous move (setup by a ridiculous effort play by Asplund). Then suddenly in the third, he was a different player. Super creative. Decisive. Two way. Skated with great speed. was HUGE on the penalty kill. If that's Nylander's true form, he's an elite prospect. Let's see more man.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

I'd love for this to be the case.

Eichel's warts are fundamentally different from Alex's, theyhave far more to do with hockey IQ than with off-the-puck indifference, and his strengths are orders of magnitude apart from Alex's, which makes that a difficult comparison to uphold.

You'll see good hockey from Alex change people's minds. Most posters that appear negative about anything in general here aren't negative people, they just need to see the hockey before they change their minds. Off the top of my head, struck/Jame/Aladdyn, those types, I bet will be the most giddy posters when we're actually doing real hockey stuff out there.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd love for this to be the case.

Eichel's warts are fundamentally different from Alex's, theyhave far more to do with hockey IQ than with off-the-puck indifference, and his strengths are orders of magnitude apart from Alex's, which makes that a difficult comparison to uphold.

You'll see good hockey from Alex change people's minds. Most posters that appear negative about anything in general here aren't negative people, they just need to see the hockey before they change their minds. Off the top of my head, struck/Jame/Aladdyn, those types, I bet will be the most giddy posters when we're actually doing real hockey stuff out there.

So negative first unless proven otherwise. Whee.

You're sure making some assumptions. It's sort of ironic how optimistic you are the negative posters won't be negative. Hmm...we shall see.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
So negative first unless proven otherwise. Whee.

You're sure making some assumptions. It's sort of ironic how optimistic you are the negative posters won't be negative. Hmm...we shall see.
I would reject your characterization of what my take is. It is not "negative unless proven otherwise."

If I see bad hockey from a bad hockey player, I'll be relentless about it, because I'm pretty stubborn about my opinions in general. The pessimistic posters here are the same.

As a result of the fact that the gap separating the Sabres' wins from the second-worst-team's win totals is more than double the size of any other two consecutive teams in a ranking of wins over the last five years, ie, the fact that the Sabres are quite literally the Browns of the NHL, people who are stubborn about calling a spade a spade will seem excessively negative. However, talk to us about Jack, Sam, ROR and we gush, because they're damn good hockey players. Or ask us our favorite Sabres prospects and we salivate over Dahlin, Mitts and Asplund. Go read my main-boards posts about Jack and tell me anyone here likes Jack more than I do with a straight face :naughty:

But yes, when fans invest heavy emotion into a team and they see Kyle Okposo or Jason Pominville doing what they do, they're going to "be negative nancies" and the like.

However, I can't wipe the smile from my face over the games our important prospects had tonight, in a tournament where a year ago Quenneville and McCleod outplayed all Sabres, while tonight they looked like they wouldn't have made our roster.

I'm not sure how sunshiny and full of roses a board of the worst team AINEC over the last five years is supposed to be, but it'll be a lot more sunshiny when that stops, and people you think are miserable will turn out to have just as much fun as everyone else.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Too bad Alexander has such a well known father and brother or else he could just develop quietly as almost all 2016 draftees have done. Looking the 7 players drafted ahead of Alexander....some haven't played in the NHL. And almost all the players drafted after him haven't played in the NHL either. So his progress seems to be in line with a guy who drafted 8th overall in 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad