Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Nylander is not really slow cooked more like rushed. He should have been playing in the OHL and not the AHL. The OHL would have benefited him much more and the AHL rushed his development playing against men.
Disagree, he had nothing left the prove in the OHL. Him playing in the AHL was best for his development. It means he got to experience a pro type game before many other players get to, hes going into his 3rd year in the AHL while most players his age would be going into their first.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Disagree, he had nothing left the prove in the OHL. Him playing in the AHL was best for his development. It means he got to experience a pro type game before many other players get to, hes going into his 3rd year in the AHL while most players his age would be going into their first.
Soooo him being two years ahead of other prospects is the definition of slow cooked?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If Nylander produces in preseason he’s going to have a very real chance of cracking the Sabres. Sabres probably view him as someone who will be better in the NHL playing with better players then in the AHL, and he already has two pro seasons under his belt. He needs a big training camp for that to happen though. I think that Nylander/Asplund/Thompson/Smith are going to be on the bubble, all theee of Thompson, Asplund and Nylander impressed in the showing this weekend.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sure, there's a spot for Nylander on the Sabres...if he earns it. No reason we can't break camp with

Skinner
Sheary

and some combo of:

Sobotka, Berglund, Girgensons, Wilson filling out the bottom 2 LW spots. But....if he earns a spot...then great.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sure, there's a spot for Nylander on the Sabres...if he earns it. No reason we can't break camp with

Skinner
Sheary

and some combo of:

Sobotka, Berglund, Girgensons, Wilson filling out the bottom 2 LW spots. But....if he earns a spot...then great.
Doesn't Nylander play right side? There's a lot more speculative room over there than on the left which is pretty dialed in.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Nylander can be LW or RW really. If he does something like 3G 4A in Preseason they will find a spot for him. He’s one of the rare guys in this organization who can finish even if he isn’t great in some other areas.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Stop looking for a stupid argument. Him being in Rochester and not burning his ELC to rush him into the NHL is slow cooking him.
It's not really a stupid arguement just because someone disagrees with you and in fact proves you wrong.

Putting him in the AHL at 18 is definitely not slow cooked. He had lots to prove in the OHL. One season in the OHL doesn't prove anything.

But like I said 18 in the AHL is not slow cooked. It's not even a normal projection because CHL players can't play in the AHL until they are 20.

He was rushed. He should have been in the OHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nylander's father/agent had plenty to do with him winding up in the AHL rather than staying with the Steelheads. The aspect of "slow cooking" him now is that they still have 3 years of ELC and waiver exemption to work on his game. They don't need to rush him if he's not ready against mature competition. He can go to Rochester and work on his game like any other 20-year old coming out of any other league could. There is no need to gift him anything. Make him earn it.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Nylander's father/agent had plenty to do with him winding up in the AHL rather than staying with the Steelheads. The aspect of "slow cooking" him now is that they still have 3 years of ELC and waiver exemption to work on his game. They don't need to rush him if he's not ready against mature competition. He can go to Rochester and work on his game like any other 20-year old coming out of any other league could. There is no need to gift him anything. Make him earn it.
Isn't there a point where he can just say "the hell with it" and jump ship for the SHL or the KHL though? I can see him being marginally okay with playing another year of AHL hockey, but if he's still tagged for bus rides in 19-20 I would imagine he'll start heavily weighing his options.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Isn't there a point where he can just say "the hell with it" and jump ship for the SHL or the KHL though? I can see him being marginally okay with playing another year of AHL hockey, but if he's still tagged for bus rides in 19-20 I would imagine he'll start heavily weighing his options.
Then let him go. How bad would he even want the NHL if he gave up on it in his early 20s?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Then let him go. How bad would he even want the NHL if he gave up on it in his early 20s?
I can only imagine the vitriol around here if we not only used the #8 overall on Nylander (rather than the other options) but then we didn't really give him a true NHL shot before he jumped ship for overseas.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Just because Nylander struggled in the AHL doesn't mean he was rushed there. Sometimes that's how good development goes. You go to where you're challenged so you can learn to overcome. The guy has 55 points over 116 games, has overcome an injury, this seems underwhelming to okay.

We're not coaches or pro scouts, so short of Alex being in a situation where he was stapled to the bench on account of he just couldn't keep up and therefore didn't get to work on his faults in game situations, I don't think we're in a position to micromanage where he was going to best develop. I think he's gotten a good chance and has underplayed his draft status, but it's not the end of the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a stellar first half in the AHL and was a full-time NHLer by the end of the year. Which is a perfectly good timeline for 8th OA.

Reactions: Reddawg

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Just because Nylander struggled in the AHL doesn't mean he was rushed there. Sometimes that's how good development goes. You go to where you're challenged so you can learn to overcome. The guy has 55 points over 116 games, has overcome an injury, this seems underwhelming to okay.

We're not coaches or pro scouts, so short of Alex being in a situation where he was stapled to the bench on account of he just couldn't keep up and therefore didn't get to work on his faults in game situations, I don't think we're in a position to micromanage where he was going to best develop. I think he's gotten a good chance and has underplayed his draft status, but it's not the end of the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a stellar first half in the AHL and was a full-time NHLer by the end of the year. Which is a perfectly good timeline for 8th OA.
There’s also the double standard of AHL vs SHL. Had he played in Sweden these last two years and struggled, no one would be whining that he was in a men’s league and it hurt his development. That’s always used as a positive for players coming overseas that played in Sweden or Finland.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's not really a stupid arguement just because someone disagrees with you and in fact proves you wrong.

Putting him in the AHL at 18 is definitely not slow cooked. He had lots to prove in the OHL. One season in the OHL doesn't prove anything.

But like I said 18 in the AHL is not slow cooked. It's not even a normal projection because CHL players can't play in the AHL until they are 20.

He was rushed. He should have been in the OHL.
First he didn't prove anything wrong and second he was not rushed. You could make the argument he should have played in Sweden but you did not do that.

Keeping him in the OHL would have not done anything for him. You think that would be slow cooking him I think that would be stagnating him.

You won't win especially when the start of your argument is so far off the mark reading the rest became a chore.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

With the transfer agreement in place, I can't see him going to the SHL. Him making it is up to him producing, not the team giving him a slot he hasn't earned.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
He's not jumping ship and going overseas anytime soon. His dad played in the NHL and his brother plays there now. Alex grew up as highly regarded as Willy. Guarantee you he feels "screw this, I'm better than you guys, I can do whatever you can" towards both family members. With love. He probably just feels like he hasn't had the chance with his injuries. But he definitely wants to show dad and brother up, and I think we'll see the work he's put in towards that this season and next.

Source: Also youngest brother, also have older brother and dad who do the same thing I do

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
First he didn't prove anything wrong and second he was not rushed. You could make the argument he should have played in Sweden but you did not do that.

Keeping him in the OHL would have not done anything for him. You think that would be slow cooking him I think that would be stagnating him.

You won't win especially when the start of your argument is so far off the mark reading the rest became a chore.
Why would he go back to Sweden when he was playing in the OHL?
He proved everything he could in the OHL scoring a whopping 28 goals in 57 games.

So he is slow cooked
Many people say this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL or he is a bust
he turned 20 and would be a top prospect lighting up the OHL if he played there the last two years
he would have been entering the AHL like any other CHL prospect and would be touted as a top prospect for the sabres

So, people would not be saying this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL because he would just be entering it

Mitch Marner was a far better prospect than Alex Nylander and spent another season in the OHL after his draft year as many prospects do.

Nylander wasn't rushed but this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL when any other OHL prospect would just be entering the AHL?

That is rushed.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Why would he go back to Sweden when he was playing in the OHL?
He proved everything he could in the OHL scoring a whopping 28 goals in 57 games.

So he is slow cooked
Many people say this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL or he is a bust
he turned 20 and would be a top prospect lighting up the OHL if he played there the last two years
he would have been entering the AHL like any other CHL prospect and would be touted as a top prospect for the sabres

So, people would not be saying this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL because he would just be entering it

Mitch Marner was a far better prospect than Alex Nylander and spent another season in the OHL after his draft year as many prospects do.

Nylander wasn't rushed but this is his last year to prove himself in the AHL when any other OHL prospect would just be entering the AHL?

That is rushed.
People who say this is his last year to play AHL are wrong. It's not like if he only scores 0.5 PPG he's getting traded for future considerations. He'll be in the AHL until he makes the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad