Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I get the impression that many were expecting a bigger impact. I was not expecting much do to the fact that he had limited time to practice with his new team, and was probably a bit unsure of what was expected of him. I some things that I liked though. When he roofed that shot into the rafters I smiled. Too many times I saw players, including vets, bang that puck right into the goalie without even thinking. it was reactionary. Nylander processed the moment quickly enough to realize that the only space was high. That was instinct. He missed, but I liked the instinct.
Me too. When was the last time we saw a just-turned-20yo or younger Sabre drive the net effectively? Eichel in his 2015-16 rookie year?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I get the impression that many were expecting a bigger impact. I was not expecting much do to the fact that he had limited time to practice with his new team, and was probably a bit unsure of what was expected of him. I some things that I liked though. When he roofed that shot into the rafters I smiled. Too many times I saw players, including vets, bang that puck right into the goalie without even thinking. it was reactionary. Nylander processed the moment quickly enough to realize that the only space was high. That was instinct. He missed, but I liked the instinct.
My first reaction was to be mad. You have to try hard to miss the net from that close.

But you’re absolutely right. It was a split second that he had to process where to place it, and the only option for a goal was to try and roof daddy. He took a chance and missed.

I was unimpressed Overall, but I won’t make much of his individual game, considering the mess he was dropped in.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Me too. When was the last time we saw a just-turned-20yo or younger Sabre drive the net effectively? Eichel in his 2015-16 rookie year?
Eichel still doesn't even drive the net very effectively, relative to how much damage he COULD do there.

Watch Matthews - there are a lot of things he does around the net that Jack has the strength/size/skill to do, he just doesn't do them.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Eichel still doesn't even drive the net very effectively, relative to how much damage he COULD do there.

Watch Matthews - there are a lot of things he does around the net that Jack has the strength/size/skill to do, he just doesn't do them.
Maybe from his injuries he is a little shy around the net? I do agree it seems most of the time when Eichel is driving to the net he goes behind the net instead of trying to cut across take the hit and try and score. Seems a dangerous play for knees and ankles.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Alex was supposed to go play his heart out, make an impact, and lay the foundation on which he would work his way onto the Sabres roster this fall this summer.

And he's f***ing benched in the playoffs instead.

f***ing disgusting. I can't believe we wasted a pick on this guy.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Same guys screaming omg bust are the same that would complain if he somehow becomes a serviceable NHLer 4-5 years into their careers. I.e. Armia

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Alex was supposed to go play his heart out, make an impact, and lay the foundation on which he would work his way onto the Sabres roster this fall this summer.

And he's ****ing benched in the playoffs instead.

****ing disgusting. I can't believe we wasted a pick on this guy.
I thought Murray was an amazing youth drafter..

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
At this point, I'd be very pleased if he could turn into Joel Armia. Waste of a pick at 8, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he became Grigorenko otherwise.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
He somewhat reminds me of Grigorenko.....hope Nylander can turn it around. The talent is there, the compete level and drive doesn't seem to be.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
That'd still be a failure for a 7/8OA
no it wouldn't....

look at the career of a guy like mackinnon. it's his 5th year in the league and he's finally living up to his potential. nylander isn't even in the nhl yet... there's plenty of time for him to live up to his draft position

Reactions: Dingo44

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Barely 20 and he was hurt a good chunk of the year. I'm not saying he was the right pick at 8 or that he's going to turn it around but I'm still not hitting the panic button.

I broke the panic button hitting it a year ago. I'd jettison alex for a dman prospect or as an add on in a bigger trade asap before the rest of the league catches on.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not sure if one, as a hockey fan, should be boasting they were hitting the panic button 1 year after a prospect was drafted.

I for one am not as worried as I probably should be. Nylander had his preseason cut short after showing some chemistry with Jack and Reinhart. He didn’t play for 25 games to start the season because of a serious injury which limited his training and continued conditioning then couple that with a brand new system from what he was taught his first professional season. The kid by the time playoffs came around probably was just feeling physically good, he needed to then work on his mental side of the game.

People complain about Murray’s Asset management and his trading of guys in their development(in the case of Armia, years into it), yet want to trade a developing prospect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad