Player Discussion Alex Newhook

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I agree , he’s a complimentary player and needs help to make it to those levels. That’s ok too, is what it is.
He's a scoring version of Drouin, but without the drama and with decent expectations.

Reactions: Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He is, and always will be, a 30 pt player. take it for what it's worth. He isn't good enough to move up a line, so he won't be playing with the better guys, and he's inconsistent. The Avs are NOT stupid they know what they had in him, and Barron. If that's a good return for that draft pick, then I guess we are ok.
Are you trying to be funny?
Sarcastic?

What's the joke I'm missing here...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He is, and always will be, a 30 pt player. take it for what it's worth. He isn't good enough to move up a line, so he won't be playing with the better guys, and he's inconsistent. The Avs are NOT stupid they know what they had in him, and Barron. If that's a good return for that draft pick, then I guess we are ok.
31 points in 51 games at age 22 so I guess you are right, he is a 30 point player, LOL.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Are you trying to be funny?
Sarcastic?

What's the joke I'm missing here...
I’m pointing out his career stats ? What’s so hard to comprehend? He’s a 30 or player so far , and nothing has yet changed in Montreal. I never trashed the guy , so far it’s his ceiling

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m pointing out his career stats ? What’s so hard to comprehend? He’s a 30 or player so far , and nothing has yet changed in Montreal. I never trashed the guy , so far it’s his ceiling
I've seen some bad takes in the time I've been here... This one is hall of shame worthy.

If you can't see "what has changed", either you don't want to see, or... No way to say it kindly, so I'll say nothing.

Enjoy the bliss.

Carry on.

Reactions: alasania94

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Always will be a 30 point player? No upside? No improvements possible? No possibilities of maturing and breaking out? Yeah ok

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
I’m pointing out his career stats ? What’s so hard to comprehend? He’s a 30 or player so far , and nothing has yet changed in Montreal. I never trashed the guy , so far it’s his ceilin

Then you don't understand what "ceiling " means I'm sorry to tell you

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Then you don't understand what "ceiling " means I'm sorry to tell you
I agree with you. Even the idea that he is a 30 point player is blown out of the water by his 31 points in 51 games so far this year playing with mostly third liners.

Given his work ethic, with good linemates on a second line, I think Newhook's ceiling is 60-65 points. But it is only my crystal ball, lots of things can happen so that a player never reaches his ceiling.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Always will be a 30 point player? No upside? No improvements possible? No possibilities of maturing and breaking out? Yeah ok

Just my opinion, not written in stone , don't get all emotional on me. I hope he breaks out but he's a secondary player on this team. He's on the second PP, his linemates will never be the best, he kills a lot of penalties. Does not mean he won't get 45pts one year either.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I've seen some bad takes in the time I've been here... This one is hall of shame worthy.

If you can't see "what has changed", either you don't want to see, or... No way to say it kindly, so I'll say nothing.

Enjoy the bliss.

Carry on.

This just in, other people's opinions can be different than yours, you don't neet to be all enraged by it and find a safe space to recover. It will be ok

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Just my opinion, not written in stone , don't get all emotional on me. I hope he breaks out but he's a secondary player on this team. He's on the second PP, his linemates will never be the best, he kills a lot of penalties. Does not mean he won't get 45pts one year either.
Emotional? Get a grip man. This site is for entertainment, not to lose our minds.
Tone down the condescending tone and enjoy a good dialogue with people.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
he has a lot of Leks in him too (no homo)
I don't see that. Not nearly the same intensity playing defensively, not as gritty. For our sake, Newhook needs to become a 2nd liner, because as a 3rd liner I don't think he's who you want, ideally.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
busting through his 30 point ceiling by 150%

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Emotional? Get a grip man. This site is for entertainment, not to lose our minds.
Tone down the condescending tone and enjoy a good dialogue with people.

I never take this personally lol, people get all upset when you don't put Newhook in 50-60pt status, and it's hilarious. It's only good dialogue when you say Newhook is going to be a star anyways. I say he's a 30pt player, which statistically he is, and people lose their shit lol.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I never take this personally lol, people get all upset when you don't put Newhook in 50-60pt status, and it's hilarious. It's only good dialogue when you say Newhook is going to be a star anyways. I say he's a 30pt player, which statistically he is, and people lose their shit lol.
I don't see him as a star, I see him as a middle 6 forward whether that's at center or wing. I do like his skating and tenacious competiveness.
If he played a full season he would be pushing 50 points right now imo so I don't think he tops out as a 30 point guy. I am wrong more times than not but when someone skates like he does, who knows how productive he can become.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I mean, you're kind of creating a strawman there to justify some takes that you don't substantiate. Like, if Newhook's ceiling is as a 30 point player because that's what he's done so far, then Caufield's ceiling is as a 20 goal scorer.

There's no more weight to your claim than to someone saying Newhook will be a star. Both seem like opinions based on reading HockeyDB stated as facts.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I mean, you're kind of creating a strawman there to justify some takes that you don't substantiate. Like, if Newhook's ceiling is as a 30 point player because that's what he's done so far, then Caufield's ceiling is as a 20 goal scorer.

There's no more weight to your claim than to someone saying Newhook will be a star. Both seem like opinions based on reading HockeyDB stated as facts.
This is all true, fair enough. I should have prefaced it by saying it was my gut feeling after watching so many guys we have brought in before that people thought would have flourished here but never did. There's been so many. Plus I'm biased as I watched a fair amount of Josh in the BCHL and never thought much of him there.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is already a perfect 3rd liner on a great team.

He have the potential to become more, for sure. I can easily imagine a top 6 player with 25-30g-25-30a type of season. He have great shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is already a perfect 3rd liner on a great team.

He have the potential to become more, for sure. I can easily imagine a top 6 player with 25-30g-25-30a type of season. He have great shot.

A balanced lineup next year (as of now, there will probably be moves):

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvo
Gallagher - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Pez, Ylo

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If Roy - Dach - Newhook is a line next season, and Dach has that breakout year we were expecting this season

I could see Roy with 50 pts, Newhook with 55-60 pts and Dach with 70 pts

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If Roy - Dach - Newhook is a line next season, and Dach has that breakout year we were expecting this season

I could see Roy with 50 pts, Newhook with 55-60 pts and Dach with 70 pts

I like Dach's upside a lot, but is there a reason to think he'd have the breakout or stir the drink relative to, say, Newhook or Roy.

Newhook and Roy have been more effective 5v5 and Dach benefited from playing with Suzuki and Caufield (and more PP time).

I don't like projecting point totals because it misses context, but I'm not sure Dach would be the guy on a line.

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I like Dach's upside a lot, but is there a reason to think he'd have the breakout or stir the drink relative to, say, Newhook or Roy.

Newhook and Roy have been more effective 5v5 and Dach benefited from playing with Suzuki and Caufield (and more PP time).

I don't like projecting point totals because it misses context, but I'm not sure Dach would be the guy on a line.
I think people have exaggerated expectations for Dach. The guy has never been a huge point producer. In his draft year, he had 73 points in 62 WHL games. Is that really considered great? Dach contributes more than just the stat-sheet. 70 pts for Dach on a second line is a bit of a stretch.

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvo
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Pez, Ylo
I would put RHP, Dvo and Armia on the third line as all three have a contract to play for (RHP is going to arbitration). That third line will work their butts off. Stack the top 6 with our youth.

Reactions: 26Mats

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvo
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Pez, Ylo
Roy on the 1st and Caufield on the 2nd?
Dvo on the 2nd and Newhook on the 3rd?