Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It's a metaphore Dude.
Armia is playing great I wish we had more like him.
Oh let's dump him at the earliest opportunity because he struggled for a number of seasons.
There isn't a player in the history of the league that went through a down time and recovered is there. :help:
He has an entire season to prove he wants to be part of our future. If he deserves to get dumped then dump him.
If he deserves a new contract he'll get one.
It's a dumb metaphore and you know it.
Yes, let's dump him because he has been garbage for more than half his tenure here. We don't need to risk him going back to his norm once he gets the bag. Let someone else overpay for him. He will be 31 when his contract is up, and I am not going to give term to a player that age with his track record. You act like this guy is 25.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's a dumb metaphore and you know it.
Yes, let's dump him because he has been garbage for more than half his tenure here. We don't need to risk him going back to his norm once he gets the bag. Let someone else overpay for him. He will be 31 when his contract is up, and I am not going to give term to a player that age with his track record. You act like this guy is 25.
It's not dumb at all. Give a player or a person due credit for what is NOW.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's a metaphore Dude.
Armia is playing great I wish we had more like him.
Oh let's dump him at the earliest opportunity because he struggled for a number of seasons.
There isn't a player in the history of the league that went through a down time and recovered is there. :help:
He has an entire season to prove he wants to be part of our future. If he deserves to get dumped then dump him.
If he deserves a new contract he'll get one.
His down time was like 6 years. If they get a very good offer in the off season they should move him. If not see what he can do next season. If he keeps up the pace then it would be reasonable to offer him a new contract.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His down time was like 6 years. If they get a very good offer in the off season they should move him. If not see what he can do next season. If he keeps up the pace then it would be reasonable to offer him a new contract.
That's all I'm saying and that's all Kent Hughes said as well.
I somehow doubt we'll get an offer we can move with in the off season the fun will come at TDL particularly if he's played well.
Hughes pretty much explained his contract decisions will be made in terms of how he sees the player fitting in with our core.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It's not dumb at all. Give a player or a person due credit for what is NOW.
Giving someone credit for an extremely small sample size compared to years of mediocrity (at best) is just plain naive.

No way man. If he keeps up the pace, cash in at the trade deadline and don't look back lol.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What is Alex Newhook's upside?
He is better at center or wing?
I still see him on Dach's wing. He really improved vs his time with the Avs. He pushes play, has been creative at C and that shot... He and Dach can take faceoffs on their strong side.

I can see 60 points playing with a healthy Dach. The question is, who is the 3rd wheel on that line? Armia?

Its incredible that he is on a 50pt pace playing Gallagher / Armia / Pearson and rookie Roy.

Reactions: Tyson and Eegs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I still see him on Dach's wing. He really improved vs his time with the Avs. He pushes play, has been creative at C and that shot... He and Dach can take faceoffs on their strong side.

I can see 60 points playing with a healthy Dach. The question is, who is the 3rd wheel on that line? Armia?
Ultimately I see Josh Roy on the 2nd line, something about him tells me he has special upside.

Reactions: Doublechin

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
It seems Newhook has taken his game up a step in the last quarter of the season here. I'm happy to see some progression.

Earlier in the year it seemed he was slightly behind the required timing for everything from shooting to passing and stickhandling to make space for himself and plays would die on his stick. But he's improved his pace of play a bit and making better decisions with and without the puck. His "instincts" are better than they were, and it's showing in pretty much every aspect of his offensive game.

I was starting to question whether or not Newhook has true top 6 upside, but I still think he does. I still see him as a better fit on the wing than C, but I think all that he's learned at C this year will help him play the game at any position he plays.

Reactions: Eegs and Andy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ultimately I see Josh Roy on the 2nd line, something about him tells me he has special upside.
I think Roy would have the inside track if comes back a better player. But for some reason, Armia has found his game with Newhook. I can see Armia getting the call. He's earned it the way he has played since getting Laval'd.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Our playoff runs were not 6 years ago BTW.
Armia showed what he could do in the 19/20 and in the 20/21 post season.
People expected that same player the following season they just didn't get him.
His play currently since being recalled is very reminiscent to those post seasons.

Reactions: Habssince89

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018

Its incredible that he is on a 50pt pace playing Gallagher / Armia / Pearson and rookie Roy.
It's interesting because initially when that line was formed with Newhook, Gallagher and Armia, it was being carried a lot by Armia. But Newhook's game has come around and now it looks like he's doing a lot of the play driving on that line.

I also see him on Dach's wing, come October.

Reactions: Tyson

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's interesting because initially when that line was formed with Newhook, Gallagher and Armia, it was being carried a lot by Armia. But Newhook's game has come around and now it looks like he's doing a lot of the play driving on that line.

I also see him on Dach's wing, come October.
I agree. Newhook's game has improved dramatically since he came into the lineup. But that's to be expected when he faced with a new system, new teammates, injuries etc.

He has figured out how to create space for himself and teammates using his blazing speed. He finds ways to get open for his shot. He is distributing the puck well. He's stronger on his skates and no longer a smurf out there. Smarter choices. Still weak in the defensive side though.

He went from a passenger to a play driver in the span of months. His development has been remarkable.

Reactions: windycity

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Hughes talked about Armia on Servalli's show. He didn't seem like a GM eager to move the player.
A lot of these little things that we’re noticing right now may not be showing up in the stats, but on a deeper, more competitive team will pay dividends. Even Anderson might turn it around next year if the team is deeper and more competitive. A better defence would make a world of difference too. Team defence of course.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Newie is starting to be very good along the board. Hes a handful on the forecheck and he works very well with Armia. Just this and his shot make him a top 9 player. Now hes rounding out his game by the second. Hes a solid addition to the team.
Not sold we want him in our top6. Not a huge fan of his game if I’m being honest.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A lot of these little things that we’re noticing right now may not be showing up in the stats, but on a deeper, more competitive team will pay dividends. Even Anderson might turn it around next year if the team is deeper and more competitive. A better defence would make a world of difference too. Team defence of course.
He talked a bit about the type of hockey they are trying to install and admitted they had to adjust it in some cases.
He didn't come out and say it but the truth is plain enough there are some player who just can't play it.
The very first thing I said when the whole notion of concepts and positionless hockey came to the fore.
Not gonna work with this a portion of this group.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He's clearly progressing. His board battles are at a much better place than the beginning of the season. I just wish he'd be more in position to use that shot.

Next year playing with Dach and maybe acquiring more confidence to enter the middle of the ice might open the floodgates. Needs to keep getting stronger.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
health has always plagued him, he's about to turn 31 next month and yet this season was just the 2nd time in his career that he played more then 60 games.
Didn't even realize. Wow, that type of injury regularity certainly messes with consistency.

Reactions: montreal

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
It seems Newhook has taken his game up a step in the last quarter of the season here. I'm happy to see some progression.

Earlier in the year it seemed he was slightly behind the required timing for everything from shooting to passing and stickhandling to make space for himself and plays would die on his stick. But he's improved his pace of play a bit and making better decisions with and without the puck. His "instincts" are better than they were, and it's showing in pretty much every aspect of his offensive game.

I was starting to question whether or not Newhook has true top 6 upside, but I still think he does. I still see him as a better fit on the wing than C, but I think all that he's learned at C this year will help him play the game at any position he plays.
Very solid breakdown for a Dinosaur. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Trabdy2

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He is, and always will be, a 30 pt player. take it for what it's worth. He isn't good enough to move up a line, so he won't be playing with the better guys, and he's inconsistent. The Avs are NOT stupid they know what they had in him, and Barron. If that's a good return for that draft pick, then I guess we are ok.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He is, and always will be, a 30 pt player. take it for what it's worth. He isn't good enough to move up a line, so he won't be playing with the better guys, and he's inconsistent. The Avs are NOT stupid they know what they had in him, and Barron. If that's a good return for that draft pick, then I guess we are ok.
Oh No Emoticon

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He could hit 45 points on a good season with good linemates.

Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad