Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
To be fair there's a fairly strong case to be made that Armia has looked like a 2nd line winger for the majority of this season but I do get your point
I love that Armia is showing he deserves to play in the NHL, but he is pacing for 30 pts over 82 games. I would not call that top 6 material

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
next year will be interesting as it's great to see that despite missing almost half the season he's just about at career highs across the board. If he can be a consistent 50+ pt guy that's going to help a lot since he's young, cheap, very fast.
also he has a SC ring, and while he only played a small role in that year for the AVs, he got to enjoy good leadership and one day Newhook is going to be able to use that experience to help others. Similar for Suzuki and others, the COVID years really helped them get exposure to the playoffs early, and I think that has contributed to the young leadership group we will enjoy.

Newhook is going to be a beauty!

Reactions: Miller Time

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
next year will be interesting as it's great to see that despite missing almost half the season he's just about at career highs across the board. If he can be a consistent 50+ pt guy that's going to help a lot since he's young, cheap, very fast.
I don't know rather to play Newhook at 3rd line center next year or Dach's linemate. It's good choice to have though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I love that Armia is showing he deserves to play in the NHL, but he is pacing for 30 pts over 82 games. I would not call that top 6 material
On the one hand, players who score 20 goals, or close to it are valuable players.

on the other, players that have 20 goals and 7 assists usually aren't valuable.

I will say, Armia has gotten most of his points in the second half of his season. So that pace must be much better that 30 points, and even than 20 goals. But still, he needs to show he can keep that pace going consistently. Maybe if our 3rd line next year is Armia - Newhook - Roy?

CC - Suzuki - Slaf
______ - Dach - ________
Roy - Newhook - Armia
Gallagher - Evans - ______

top candidates currently in the team for the remaining 3 wing spots would be Dvo, Anderson, and RHP - maybe even Gallagher. But for sure Hughes can look at trades and the UFA market to complete the 2nd line.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Even if we don't add anything over the summer. I can see him playing wing on either of the first two lines and having some success.
Suzuki seems to have the ability to help younger players become better versions of themselves.
I'd love to see what a Newhook Slafkovsky F1 F2 fore check looks like.
I'd definitely be tempted to use Caufield with Dach and explore that a bit further.

Reactions: jrom and Tyson

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
On the one hand, players who score 20 goals, or close to it are valuable players.

on the other, players that have 20 goals and 7 assists usually aren't valuable.

I will say, Armia has gotten most of his points in the second half of his season. So that pace must be much better that 30 points, and even than 20 goals. But still, he needs to show he can keep that pace going consistently. Maybe if our 3rd line next year is Armia - Newhook - Roy?

CC - Suzuki - Slaf
______ - Dach - ________
Roy - Newhook - Armia
Gallagher - Evans - ______

top candidates currently in the team for the remaining 3 wing spots would be Dvo, Anderson, and RHP - maybe even Gallagher. But for sure Hughes can look at trades and the UFA market to complete the 2nd line.
I had Newhook penciled in on the wing of the 2nd line but he has looked really good at centre lately. he has looked real good with Armia and Gallagher, maybe they are the 3rd line on a healthy team. Dvo- Dach and Roy on line 2.

Reactions: 26Mats

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia when on his game is a perfect role player. He excels at the PK he is defensively aware and can clear the zone on his own at times.
We absolutely need more players like Armia in our bottom six. Ones that can win one on one board battles ones that can hold up pucks until
the cavalry arrives. Ones that can slot up in a pinch and not look out of place.
People want to trade him and I want more just like him only a tad more nasty if possible. :laugh:

Reactions: Tyson and CDN24

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Armia when on his game is a perfect role player. He excels at the PK he is defensively aware and can clear the zone on his own at times.
We absolutely need more players like Armia in our bottom six. Ones that can win one on one board battles ones that can hold up pucks until
the cavalry arrives. Ones that can slot up in a pinch and not look out of place.
People want to trade him and I want more just like him only a tad more nasty if possible. :laugh:
A confident Armia can help this team immensely on the bottom 2 lines.

Reactions: Rapala

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I had Newhook penciled in on the wing of the 2nd line but he has looked really good at centre lately. he has looked real good with Armia and Gallagher, maybe they are the 3rd line on a healthy team. Dvo- Dach and Roy on line 2.
I can't see them starting out that way, he'll almost assuredly move to wing on one of the top-2 lines if everyone is healthy. Could he be moved to center the 3rd line at times during the season when MSL is juggling the lines to try and get people going sure, but I can't see that being something long term unless we add some top tier wingers that pushes him out of the top-6.

And keep in mind even playing wing he'll take plenty of faceoffs because he's a left shot and both Suzuki and Dach are right shots.

Reactions: Rapala

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They may have gotten offers for him and chose not to trade him. So far, I can see why. If teams didn’t kick the tires at least, then they are idiots. Imagine him in a bottom 6 on a contender in the playoffs?

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They may have gotten offers for him and chose not to trade him. So far, I can see why. If teams didn’t kick the tires at least, then they are idiots. Imagine him in a bottom 6 on a contender in the playoffs?
Hughes talked about Armia on Servalli's show. He didn't seem like a GM eager to move the player.

Reactions: schwang26 and Tyson

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I find he's really flying under the radar. He's been fantastic the last month.

His game has really developed a lot since being placed between Armia and Gallagher. Stronger on the boards, beating defenders one-on-one, and making cross-ice passes.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The issue with Armia is consistency. Guy checks out for 10-20 games. Then plays well for a bit then gone again.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I find he's really flying under the radar. He's been fantastic the last month.

His game has really developed a lot since being placed between Armia and Gallagher. Stronger on the boards, beating defenders one-on-one, and making cross-ice passes.
I am wondering if he can actually develop into a top 6 C given the right linemates. I originally wrote him off as a C, but the proof is in the pudding. FO% of 47.7% isn't too bad either. Not a bad plan B if Dach doesn't pan out and we draft a winger this year. He already showed chemistry with a rookie Roy and mediocre bottom 6 vets in Armia and Gallagher.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Newie is starting to be very good along the board. Hes a handful on the forecheck and he works very well with Armia. Just this and his shot make him a top 9 player. Now hes rounding out his game by the second. Hes a solid addition to the team.
I really love his ability to move the puck into space with his legs in tight areas.
We don't have another forward who comes close to having that skill.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The issue with Armia is consistency. Guy checks out for 10-20 games. Then plays well for a bit then gone again.
The last 10 -20 game stretch was well before he did some serious work on himself.
I don't get why people feel obliged to reach back when it is completely irrelevant at this point in time.
Armia's tendencies in the past are known but that is no reason to get on him now when he's been the model of consistency since being recalled.
That's like telling a recovering alchoholic or drug addict that their sobriety means nothing. I'm all about giving him his due one day at a time.

Reactions: Walksss

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Dach puts up 38 in 58 playing lots of time with Suzuki and Caufield. Appointed as a 1C by some.

Newhook is 31 in 51 but is a 3C
Honestly, I am guilty of doubting him early on, but he really didn't look good at C before his injury, and his production in Colorado at C was also not very good. He got most of his points playing wing for them. He was shuffled around in their bottom 6 a lot.

Since coming back from injury, he has been able to fill in the role that Monahan left pretty darn well. I think I am wrong, and I am perfectly fine with that lol. People say he is small, but he is the same height and weight as Crosby with speed to spare.

I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Dach ends up a winger either. His FO% is horrid. Like Newhook, he is pretty effective at both positions. I wouldn't mind if they put Newhook at C to start the year with Dach at RW. Maybe they both play C, but I don't know if there will be enough talent to go around in our middle 6.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The last 10 -20 game stretch was well before he did some serious work on himself.
I don't get why people feel obliged to reach back when it is completely irrelevant at this point in time.
Armia's tendencies in the past are known but that is no reason to get on him now when he's been the model of consistency since being recalled.
That's like telling a recovering alchoholic or drug addict that their sobriety means nothing. I'm all about giving him his due one day at a time.
Because he is 30. No one is going to believe he can be consistent until he proves it and in meaningful games.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Armia's tendencies are all we can go off, and it is a pattern that he himself has created. That's a large sample size. I love what he is doing right now, but remember that next year is a contract year for him, so it isn't uncommon for inconsistent/lazy players to all of a sudden heat up. Comparing an inconsistent hockey player to an alcoholic is also ridiculous. One of the worst strawmans I have ever seen lol.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia's tendencies are all we can go off, and it is a pattern that he himself has created. That's a large sample size. I love what he is doing right now, but remember that next year is a contract year for him, so it isn't uncommon for inconsistent/lazy players to all of a sudden heat up. Comparing an inconsistent hockey player to an alcoholic is also ridiculous. One of the worst strawmans I have ever seen lol.
It's a metaphore Dude.
Armia is playing great I wish we had more like him.
Oh let's dump him at the earliest opportunity because he struggled for a number of seasons.
There isn't a player in the history of the league that went through a down time and recovered is there. :help:
He has an entire season to prove he wants to be part of our future. If he deserves to get dumped then dump him.
If he deserves a new contract he'll get one.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad