Player Discussion Alex Newhook

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Roy on the 1st and Caufield on the 2nd?
Dvo on the 2nd and Newhook on the 3rd?

Not happening.
I like the 1st line as is, though Caufield didn't score as he could. I see it staying the same also. And we need to get a good 2nd line. We'll see what all the pieces are to put together come training camp.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I like Dach's upside a lot, but is there a reason to think he'd have the breakout or stir the drink relative to, say, Newhook or Roy.

Newhook and Roy have been more effective 5v5 and Dach benefited from playing with Suzuki and Caufield (and more PP time).

I don't like projecting point totals because it misses context, but I'm not sure Dach would be the guy on a line.

Dach was dominant in the 2nd half of last season (had a Slaf-like growth), and he was the habs best player at camp this year. He looked poised to have a dominant season, and could've been the habs best player.

Dach will still be on the top pp, so he's going to play with Suzuki and Caufield there. Outside the pp, Dach was not playing with Suzuki or Caufield in the 2nd half of last season. He was playing with Hoffman/Anderson/Drouin. Roy and Newhook should be a good upgrade over those wingers.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This just in, other people's opinions can be different than yours, you don't neet to be all enraged by it and find a safe space to recover. It will be ok
indeed, some people have the opinion that the world is flat.

bad take is a bad take. nobody's enraged... you can keep the gas in the tank.

Newhook, he of 30+ points in 50 games, at 22/23, in his first shot at top-6 minutes, isn't affected either way, of that I'm sure we can both agree ;)

Reactions: Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A balanced lineup next year (as of now, there will probably be moves):

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Dvo
Gallagher - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Pez, Ylo
And $15M in unused cap space, which would be criminal.

Reactions: Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
That would be a MB special. Hughes has shown he weaponizes cap (see Monahan) so hopefully he'll figure out a way to use it to his advantage unlike MB who just sat on it for rainy day.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They won't spend it on just anything.
If you are looking at older players you want very short term even 1 year if you can get away with it.
That Cap is super important for when the right pieces become available.
We are entering the third year of digging out of Cap Hell the last thing we are going to do is jump right back into it.

Reactions: jaffy27

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you are looking at older players you want very short term even 1 year if you can get away with it.
We are entering the third year of digging out of Cap Hell the last thing we are going to do is jump right back into it.
I agree in general. Short-term deals for older players. Longer term deal for one or two building block younger pieces, and maybe ONE 28-30 yo D to replace Savard.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
If so, who's gonna play with Slaf and Suzuki ? A UFA like Marchesseault ????
Not sure, but I don't think it needs to be another star. We just need a complementary piece, look at Matthews since having Domi on his line. Edmonton putting Hyman with Mcdavid.

I was thinking someone like Duclair

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Summer of ‘25 will be the off season where money coming off the books and Prime UFA’s become available. (Potentially)

Should coincide with Slaf hitting his stride, Suzuki becoming a 90pt guy, Dach emerging as a #2C , Cole becoming that 40 goal scorer, this years 1st round pick making the NHL and our young D being the envy of the NHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How will they start competing?

Cause I look at the Habs and they 100% competing!

What are they doing different next year from this year?
Hopefully we are competing in a different tier. We've been competing in the below .500 tier.
With Dach I expected we would be competing in the .500 - .560 tier.
We absolutely need to take that step next season.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I'd be interested to see what Newhook could do next to Slaf and Suzuki, but it's not like Caufield has done anything to be sent down to the 2nd line to be honest

I really like the player, I want to see what he'd do with the best forwards on the team for a while

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Alex Newhook is going to be paid 2.9 for the foreseeable future. Even if he remains what he is that's excellent value.
100%. He's a steal at 2.9M for the next 3 x years. If he puts up 50 points (his current pace playing with scrubs), what a deal.

Newhook-Dach-???

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
So I wanted to look at Newhook's season in terms of a timeline and see I could see some trends patterns. Just something simple so points only. Advanced stats are honestly a pain to harvest on a game to game basis on nhl.com. The white rectangles are the most stable linemates during the span and the coloured ones are for the position played

Newhook season.png

Newhook's season debut very shortly went of the rails with the Dach injury as he needed to play 3C for 9 games until Dvorak returned. Getting saddled with Anderson was not good for his point totals (3A in 9 games). Playing on Dvorak's and Monahan's wing for 7 games, things were a bit better (1G, 3A in 7 games). Then he was tried with Suzuki and Caufield on the 1st line for 6 games with decent success (3G, 1A in 6 games) before getting injured

When he returned after the Monahan trade, he played 2C and had to readapt to C once again (2A in 5 games). He became more confortable with Armia (and Roy for a time) and picked up the pace a bit for the next 13 games until Roy injury (2G, 5A in 13 games). Since then, he's been in fire with 4G, 7A in 12 games. He's also leading the team and 17th league wide in P/60 in that span, though I don't think it's sustainable

As a winger, Newhook has 6G, 4A in 13 games while he has 8G, 15A in 40 games as a center. Since returning from injury, Newhook has 20 points in 30 games as a center (55 points pace) and he's been ramping up the production more recently. Unsurprizingly, his goalscoring shines much more on the wing albeit on a low game count. Without Anderson, Newhook has been in a 56 points pace in 82 games

After the Monahan trace, he's been the only forward able to sustainably create offence apart from the 1st line. I don't see a 3rd liner at all personally and it would be an utter waste not to play him in the top 6. This team is starved enough for talent as is...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad