Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Newhook has solid production for a young guy that played center with plugs for most of the season. PP1 obviously boosts his total a bit but still pretty interesting production all things considered.
Never understood why people were penciling him as a 3rd liner.

Guy has speed and a shot.

Started the year at 22 years old.

Is our 4th forward in scoring despite missing 30 games.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Newhook has solid production for a young guy that played center with plugs for most of the season. PP1 obviously boosts his total a bit but still pretty interesting production all things considered.

His pp production is not boosted. He only has 7 pp points, and 3 of them came from playing on the 2nd unit.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

personally, i'm not pencilling him in as a 3rd liner, but man he'd be a great 3rd liner on a cup contending team. maybe you can get it done with him on the 2nd line, but if he's on PP2 and playing as your 7th/8th best forward, you're doing real good.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
personally, i'm not pencilling him in as a 3rd liner, but man he'd be a great 3rd liner on a cup contending team. maybe you can get it done with him on the 2nd line, but if he's on PP2 and playing as your 7th/8th best forward, you're doing real good.
Summer moves:

Draft Eiserman to be a triggerman.

Sign Monahan for 2-3 years at $5M to $6M.

Sign a top UFA d-man for $8M.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Roy-Dach-Eiserman
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson
spares: Dvorak, Pezzetta (trade Ylonen)
Laval: RHP, Beck, Farrell, Heineman, Mesar, Kapanen

Matheson-UfaD
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard
spare: Barron (trade Harris and Kovacevic)
Laval: Mailloux, Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom

Montembeault
Primeau
Laval: Dobes, Kaskisuo or other vet

Pipeline: still full including 3 more firsts in June 24/ June 25

Reactions: themilosh

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Summer moves:

Roy-Dach-Eiserman
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson

Matheson-UfaD
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard

Montembeault
Primeau

I wouldn’t target a UFA D. i would run with what we got and give our prospects in the AHL a 20 game tryout each to try to take the spot and keep it. Hopefully one of Malloux, Reimbacher, Barron, or Hutson can take a spot and not give it up. We have mentors in Savard, Ghule, and Mattheson to help the kids progress.

If there were a chance to acquire a game changer forward, preferably of the same age as the rest of our core, and preferably a C/LW, I would prioritize that.

I think we start competing next season , and we need to bolster our forward group the most.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Summer moves:

Roy-Dach-Eiserman
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson

Matheson-UfaD
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard

Montembeault
Primeau

Anyone outside of Macklin will likely not be ready next year. Everything else I like. Signing Monahan will be a crap shoot. Lots of options for him,

I'd like....

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
RHP - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Anyone outside of Macklin will likely not be ready next year. Everything else I like. Signing Monahan will be a crap shoot. Lots of options for him,

I'd like....

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
RHP - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
If we cannot use our first for a guy who can score at a middle six level next year, then use it to acquire Zegras or similar upside player.

Reactions: waitin425

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
And that's playing at centre when he's definitely shown that he's better at wing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next year at his more natural position, assuming Dach doesn't spontaneously combust or something next season.
He's doing fine at center and the more versatile a player the better it is for the team.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If we cannot use our first for a guy who can score at a middle six level next year, then use it to acquire Zegras or similar upside player.
I wouldn't be adverse to that. I have flip flopped throughout the season on it. I think it depends where we land and who is available. So many variables on that. As of now....I don't think I'd trade pre-lottery. Post lottery, if we end up at 8th or worse, I would do it. If we end up 7th or below, I hold the pick and wait to see how the draft shakes out. I would take Mack, Lindstrom and Demi over Zegras. Catton, Iggy, Eiserman, Helenius are toss ups.

I would prefer, if possible to ship that Winnipeg pick + the worse of our two next year + Harris/Barron/Struble

I think that package of 2 x 15-22 overall picks + Barron, could return a very good forward from a team in cap uncertainty, or for a player needing a change of scenery (Zegras)

Reactions: themilosh

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He kind of reminds me of parenteau but with speed.
Did Parenteau have that dog in him like Newhook?

He seems to be getting better and better every game,nice to have options.
For all those years we saw players get traded from Montreal only to reach their peak elsewhere, it’s awesome to think we may start seeing that with Newhook and hopefully Dach.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Did Parenteau have that dog in him like Newhook?

For all those years we saw players get traded from Montreal only to reach their peak elsewhere, it’s awesome to think we may start seeing that with Newhook and hopefully Dach.
I don't know much about Parenteau but was he not a floater?

It would be a refreshing change would't it?

Truth be told,I'm still not over losing KK. lol

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I feel like we have too much legit talent in the org along with strong assets (picks, tradable prospects, etc.) that going after a project-like player with question marks like Zegras isn't really necessary.

Definitely thinking about moving our pick though for someone plug in play though

Reactions: Rapala

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Hard to complain about this year in context. He's on a 21G/26A (47P) 82 game pace and has been on an island and playing out of position at C most of the year. That includes those 10 games early in the year where the line with Slafkovsky and Anderson was completely unproductive as well.

He's not a C but he's not paid to be and won't have to be as long as one of Dach or Dvorak can stay reasonably healthy. It will be a lot of fun to see him with one of Dach/Suzuki to start next season.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Great point!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I'd like....

Roy - Suzuki - Slaf
RHP - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
RHP is not a player we need in our lineup.. I'm hoping he is traded for a 2nd rounder or something.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
RHP is not a player we need in our lineup.. I'm hoping he is traded for a 2nd rounder or something.
Why, he seems like a prototypical bottom 6 player on most playoff teams... Gritty/high energy/put everything on the line to win guy with a low cap hit.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I feel like we have too much legit talent in the org along with strong assets (picks, tradable prospects, etc.) that going after a project-like player with question marks like Zegras isn't really necessary.

Definitely thinking about moving our pick though for someone plug in play though
Zegras is not a project. He has already put up 65 pts with little help. And Hughes knows the player so if they go after him then I have no doubt he will be an asset.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad