Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's a complimentary offensive player with speed and a good shot. He doesn't have the highest level of playmaking skills. But he is able to make plays with his linemates.

I think he could score 25 goals or even more with a center like Dach. Would you still be disappointed in him if he did that? Or do you want more to not be disappointed?
He will probably get chance play with Dach if we don't trade for top 6 forward. I like to keep our picks and give Newhook and Roy a shot with Dach.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He will probably get chance play with Dach if we don't trade for top 6 forward. I like to keep our picks and give Newhook and Roy a shot with Dach.

Two of the biggest holes in our lineup right now are: dach and Monahan. If we get Dach back healthy next year and a good C like Monahan, then we can have Roy, Newhook, plus two more good top 9 wingers to play with good C's like Dach and Monahan.

The problem now is if we go out and get a top six winger, one of Roy or Newhook have to play with Dvo. Definitely gotta try to bring Monahan back, and if we do, cut our losses with Dvo by trading him with 50% retained for whatever we can get.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Two of the biggest holes in our lineup right now are: dach and Monahan. If we get Dach back healthy next year and a good C like Monahan, then we can have Roy, Newhook, plus two more good top 9 wingers to play with good C's like Dach and Monahan.

The problem now is if we go out and get a top six winger, one of Roy or Newhook have to play with Dvo. Definitely gotta try to bring Monahan back, and if we do, cut our losses with Dvo by trading him with 50% retained for whatever we can get.
Monahan is going to want a 5 year contract in the offseason. Would you give that to him? I would.

Reactions: 26Mats and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Monahan is going to want a 5 year contract in the offseason. Would you give that to him? I would.
Monahan's next contract is going to be the dangerous one we need to pass. There is no use creating a new shit pile when the original one still exists.
Maybe if we didn't have Gallagher to deal with we could take a chance but even then I think it would bite us in the long run.
Besides Beck will be in the picture as early as next season.

Reactions: windycity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's a very good question. Conventional wisdom is try to go 2 or 3. But if he has a 5 year offer on the table from another team and he gives us the opportunity to match, it's an interesting question. I used to think yes, but that injury risk is a real problem. Now I say no.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
No way I commit to Monahan for 5 years.

Incredible player, but we should learn from the Gallagher experience. Monahan, just like Gallagher before his extension, has a LOT of mileage on his body. Could be an albatross contract when our core hits its prime.

Off the top of my head, this could end up like one of those Gallagher, Lucic, Kesler, Backes, Okposo, Ladd deals

Last edited:

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
No way I commit to Monahan for 5 years.

Incredible player, but we should learn from the Gallagher experience. Monahan, just like Gallagher before his extension, has a LOT of mileage on his body. Could be an albatross contract when our core hits its prime.

Off the top of my head, this could end up like one of those Gallagher, Lucic, Kesler, Backes, Okposo, Ladd deals
Your post is 100% right, yet I disagree. The difference between Monahan and guys like Gallagher or Lucic is that Mohahan is incredibly skilled and incredibly smart on the ice.

Could injuries be an issue in terms of being available to play? Of course. But when he plays, he's effective.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Your post is 100% right, yet I disagree. The difference between Monahan and guys like Gallagher or Lucic is that Mohahan is incredibly skilled and incredibly smart on the ice.

Could injuries be an issue in terms of being available to play? Of course. But when he plays, he's effective.
Id say there would need to be a trade off. Im not a fan of giving 5 year deals to anyone near 30 unless they are elite. You made a good point about Monahan's style and how it would age better than Gallagher. I'd be okay with giving a 5 year deal only if it meant a managable cap hit. Id rather give a short term deal with a higher cap.

Reactions: Redux91 and MasterD

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012

Yes he’s better, but boy did he suffer lots of severe injuries.

We already won our bet twice on Monahan (taking him for a first, extending him and getting another first). I’m not a fan of overplaying a lucky hand

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Gallagher doesn't achieve what he has without skill and smarts. You can't grit your way to what he was in his prime. And we know from the end of Monahan's time in Calgary what he looks like when he can't physically play his game - and its not good.

Montreal got more than they could have possibly asked for out of Monahan - two 1st round picks, a good face-off example for other C and a fantastic veteran to have on a rebuilding team. Now they have to find the next Monahan.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And that with a pretty painful injury & on a team with minimal top 6 talent.

I'm bullish on him taking another big step forward next season. Healthy, he'll be a 60pt+ player next year, book it!

Future is bright 😎
I can see a 60 point player. He is the most explosive skater up front while making plays. If you can skate like that then anything is possible. Give him the right linemates.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
And that with a pretty painful injury & on a team with minimal top 6 talent.

I'm bullish on him taking another big step forward next season. Healthy, he'll be a 60pt+ player next year, book it!

Future is bright 😎
60 pts may be pushing it as he will likely be playing on PP2 with a lack of talent (other than Roy), but 50+ is very realistic.

PP1: Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Matheson
PP2: Newhook, Roy, ???

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the idea of letting him pivot his own line next season. He's not a classic 3C but with the right linemates it could turn into a good two way line with some offense. He's turning into an asset on the powerplay too.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad