"Alex Galchenyuk has arrived."

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I was expecting this...

We did some models and extracted data on the fans in Montreal.

We found that the “Domi effect” gave similar results as injecting laboratory rats with high dosages of crack cocaine.

It’s best to wait until the “Domi effect” effect wears off to communicate with them.

This typically starts to happen after a 5 game loosing streak or when shoot % start coming back to normal levels. Observing several “Domi no look passes” aids in the sobering as well.
Nice. I for one can't say I miss him at all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah we don’t go on the Habs forum and talk about domi’s proficiency at empty net goals.

Fans just being fans. I liked Domi but I would make that trade again. I like Yandle and I applauded that trade mainly because we were starting the rebuild. Hopefully I'am only wrong on the first trade.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hoping Chucky accepts that he's not a center at this point. I'll admit, I thought he was, but have changed my mind. It just goes to show that those who do this for a living and are a part of the player and his team, first hand on a daily basis, typically know what they're doing.
Galchenyuk/Domi aren't top 2 C's and likely aren't C's. Never were, never will be.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Fans just being fans. I liked Domi but I would make that trade again. I like Yandle and I applauded that trade mainly because we were starting the rebuild. Hopefully I'am only wrong on the first trade.
Of all the rumoured options out there at the time the Galchenyuk trade I feel was best option. I liked it more when I was under the disillusion that Galchenyuk could play centre. I really disliked Galchenyuk his last 5 games at C. He may not like it but he's a RW in this system.

I wonder if Galchenyuk is viewed as a core piece at this point. If not he moves into a potential trade asset. Not something I'd be pushing but if the right upgrade opportunity comes along I'd consider it.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Galchenyuk/Domi aren't top 2 C's and likely aren't C's. Never were, never will be.
Chucky had his most productive season at center, pretty easy to see how many could have the belief that he'd be a fit. What's it like up on that high horse? People from Naperville.... smh.
:razz:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Of all the rumoured options out there at the time the Galchenyuk trade I feel was best option. I liked it more when I was under the disillusion that Galchenyuk could play centre. I really disliked Galchenyuk his last 5 games at C. He may not like it but he's a RW in this system.

I wonder if Galchenyuk is viewed as a core piece at this point. If not he moves into a potential trade asset. Not something I'd be pushing but if the right upgrade opportunity comes along I'd consider it.

I think he is still adjusting to the system. I also think he is a winger, which is perfectly fine. If he can get the first line to start clicking we can focus on building out the 2nd and 3rd lines next offseason. He is also in a contract season next year so I have a feeling we will get 30 goal scorer Gally next year. Depending on how the rest of this season goes I think he should be considered a core piece. We just traded away our other shooter. We have passers and plumbers and 1 shooter now. Problem is he hasnt been shooting this year, which I think has more to do with trying to play center than trying to play his game.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chucky had his most productive season at center, pretty easy to see how many could have the belief that he'd be a fit. What's it like up on that high horse? People from Naperville.... smh.
Then why wasn't Chucky playing C? Its the coaches fault in both cases because they don't like the player, they hold a grudge or they are stupid? I don't think so. Montreal and AZ are both desperate for C's. Either team/coach would have figured it out first before either player was traded.

Can Nylander be a 1C? Maybe. there are 3 better C's in Toronto so he might not have had a chance last year. Domi and Chuckie have had plenty of chances.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think he is still adjusting to the system. I also think he is a winger, which is perfectly fine. If he can get the first line to start clicking we can focus on building out the 2nd and 3rd lines next offseason. He is also in a contract season next year so I have a feeling we will get 30 goal scorer Gally next year. Depending on how the rest of this season goes I think he should be considered a core piece. We just traded away our other shooter. We have passers and plumbers and 1 shooter now. Problem is he hasnt been shooting this year, which I think has more to do with trying to play center than trying to play his game.
I agree it could be a system adjustment. There will be injuries which may thrust him back into a C role down the road. I am curious on whether the Keller, Schmaltz, Galchenyuk line can become a thing. I'm not advocating writing him off. We just need to know if he's a core piece if we hope to re-sign him before he becomes UFA. We may need to make a call at deadline or off-season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Then why wasn't Chucky playing C? Its the coaches fault in both cases because they don't like the player, they hold a grudge or they are stupid? I don't think so. Montreal and AZ are both desperate for C's. Either team/coach would have figured it out first before either player was traded.

Can Nylander be a 1C? Maybe. there are 3 better C's in Toronto so he might not have had a chance last year. Domi and Chuckie have had plenty of chances.

I don't think I would give up Chucky at C experiment. The whole team was in the tank and then when we traded for Schmaltz RT wasn't sure where he would play. Schmaltz said he likes C, but he is lousy dot, so after one game at C, I wouldn't pencil Schmaltz as a C permanently. Let's experiment and see what happens, but Schmaltz may not be any better than Chucky. The Hawks also shifted Schmaltz from C to W.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree it could be a system adjustment. There will be injuries which may thrust him back into a C role down the road. I am curious on whether the Keller, Schmaltz, Galchenyuk line can become a thing. I'm not advocating writing him off. We just need to know if he's a core piece if we hope to re-sign him before he becomes UFA. We may need to make a call at deadline or off-season.

I hope they view him as a core piece. We traded a core piece for him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think I would give up Chucky at C experiment. The whole team was in the tank and then when we traded for Schmaltz RT wasn't sure where he would play. Schmaltz said he likes C, but he is lousy dot, so after one game at C, I wouldn't pencil Schmaltz as a C permanently. Let's experiment and see what happens, but Schmaltz may not be any better than Chucky. The Hawks also shifted Schmaltz from C to W.
I wouldn't give up on Schmalts/Galchenyuk at C, I just wouldn't expect either to make it at C. Longer term we have DVO back and Hayton hopefully, that helps solve our C situation. In the mean time it's by committee:)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I wouldn't give up on Schmalts/Galchenyuk at C, I just wouldn't expect either to make it at C. Longer term we have DVO back and Hayton hopefully, that helps solve our C situation. In the mean time it's by committee:)

That's the "good" thing about the injuries, we can keep trying one of them there. If Galchenyuk gets into a rhythm I can easily see them shifting him back to C and seeing how it goes. Or heck Tocchet might just jumble the names around and do it if they go on another losing streak :laugh:

Even then though if Dvorak comes back strong and Hayton pans out at some point soon we still don't really have an obvious 1C. Several 2s of varying quality.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Apparently the Naperville education system failed you, as you don't seem to have been able to comprehend my original post. We're basically saying the same thing, I was duped by the "Montreal has mishandled him" rhetoric, as was our GM apparently - didn't see any rea for you to rub it in.

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
Immediate success at C was not expected for Chucky. His flaws were and are obvious.

Montreal didn’t develop Domi into a NHL C. We did. And we will work with Chucky.
It will be a project. Worst case scenario we get a highly skilled winger that fill in at center. Unfortunately that is where we stand now.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Immediate success at C was not expected for Chucky. His flaws were and are obvious.

Montreal didn’t develop Domi into a NHL C. We did. And we will work with Chucky.
It will be a project. Worst case scenario we get a highly skilled winger that fill in at center. Unfortunately that is where we stand now.

There is no developing Chuck into a C. He doesn’t skate well enough to play top 6 C and match up against other top C’s that play that position. No one blew his development, he just never improved his skating, in fact I think he may be getting slower as he’s added bulk.

The smart move is to let him be an opportunistic winger, load him up with PP time and offensive opportunities.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This trade is looking worse by the day :ha:

Hated the trade from day 1. Chayka gave up speed, grit, character, youth, term, money and marketing.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What if Domi outscores Galchenyuk by 30 points, but we make the playoffs and they don't?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This trade is looking worse by the day :ha:

Hated the trade from day 1. Chayka gave up speed, grit, character, youth, term, money and marketing.

Agree. Particularly like Domi's grit and character. He was our future captain, or at a minimum wearing the "A". Our top line looks much better with Schmaltz, but Galchenyuk has only contributed one assist during those 4 games.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What if Domi outscores Galchenyuk by 30 points, but we make the playoffs and they don't?

If we make the playoffs it will likely be because of the Strome-Schmalz Trade (and out AHL call-up playing out of his mind in net).

Our top line looks good and I've stopped cringing when we go on the PP

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agree. Particularly like Domi's grit and character. He was our future captain, or at a minimum wearing the "A". Our top line looks much better with Schmaltz, but Galchenyuk has only contributed one assist during those 4 games.
Chucky hasa played very well on that line. He has been very physical and has been winning the board battles and Keller and Schmaltz are getting room because of it.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Lets be real here. Domi didn't want to be here, we really had no choice but to trade him. Sounded like the market for Domi wasn't all that impressive anyway because of his lack of production the two years prior. Galchenyuk has been less of an offensive Dynamo than I thought he might be, but at least he makes up 1/3 of our top-line and still has potential to break out with our team. I'm a lot happier with him than I would be with Rust

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad