Player Discussion Alex Biega

Status
Not open for further replies.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I think Biega is like Jordie Benn without the size and famous brother. Biega could of been an NHL regular for years and be seen as a good bottom pairing Dman especially with the game but it is what it is. Biega could still carve out a Mike Weaver type career but he could easily be lost in the shuffle. He just doesn't do much but I'm not sure if he deserves to lose his place to Fantenberg.
Beiga can skate circles around Jordie Benn

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Biega is a perfect organizational depth d-man. Can sit in the press-box for a month and come out on the ice as a fill-in and give you a consistent effort. Part of me hopes somebody picks him up, which would leave the Canucks in a huge bind because there's really nobody in Utica to replace him.

Every year is like 'Groundhog Day' on the Canucks blueline....a rash of injuries basically derails their season. And I'm not sure they have the depth again this season.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I would only be happy for Biega, if another team picked him up. We dumb for waiving him in the first place.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Rick Dhaliwahl seems to think there’s interest around the league as does Hirsch.

Really hoping a team pick him up, he’s a very good bottom pairing defender.

watch winnipeg claim him. they clearly have NO NHL Defenseman on their team after losing trouba/myers/byfuglien.

Reactions: Bougieman

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I could see LA, Anaheim and Pittsburgh in on Biega as well just off the top of my head. I've been thinking all summer this is the year he gets claimed if Jimbo is dumb enough to expose him again. I mean, how many years does he need to prove he's an ideal 6-7 D making peanuts before teams catch on?

Reactions: Blue and Green

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If he gets picked up that would be great for him. And a mistake by canucks management. Yes they've snuck him through waivers in the past but now you have a guy that has nearly 200 games of experience in a #7/8 type role and puts up points at about a 15-20 point/82 game pace all at even strength (career pace is 16 points). There are some teams that do not have that on the third pairing (I'm not sure the canucks do!) let alone a #7/8 slot. We all saw the play of the depth blueliners for the canucks in camp...this would be a pretty significant depth loss.

It could be nullified by trying to get Schenn. I'm not a huge fan of Schenn. He had a good little run for the canucks but I don't expect that to be duplicated and it leaves you in the same depth position (i.e. it wasn't good enough with Biega). I really don't understand this management team. They seem adverse to actually building organization depth.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I’m probably the odd one here, but I genuinely don’t like him as a player. He’s a decent 7th guy but nothing more, he can skate but not really good at offence nor defence. I don’t see any big difference between him and Fantenberg. Yeah yeah he looked better in the pre season but I think we likely wont notice much difference between both of their on ice play in real games.

I know some people here have grown into him through out the past years, don’t worry he will go through the waivers and be called up again in a few week
You are odd Billy theres no doubt about it

Anyways, hopefully is not claimed just like Corrado and that goalie from last January and that 4th liner from the year before. Can see Calgary and Winnipeg taking him. Irregardless I wish him the best he always gave his best and worked harder than most

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think the Canucks are high on Rafferty. He is a RD as well so that one of the reason they picked Fantenberg over Biega. If a RD goes down, they can called up Rafferty, if they got rid of Fantenberg them next on the LD depth chart would be Brisebois and Sautner. Also Benn can both sides play in a factor as well

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Because in Jimbo land you only need one extra player at each position. There are never multiple injuries to deal with....

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Biega gave it his all every shift.
He had to.
Even his first shift in preseason he was in playoff Biega mode battling.
He will be a huge boost to Utica.
If picked up, then I hope he's back in 30 days.
I think the Canucks are high on Rafferty. He is a RD as well so that one of the reason they picked Fantenberg over Biega. If a RD goes down, they can called up Rafferty, if they got rid of Fantenberg them next on the LD depth chart would be Brisebois and Sautner. Also Benn can both sides play in a factor as well
Pretty much.
I enjoyed Rafferty's play. He has a lil flair to his game. People were happy to dismiss it by referencing his age as much as possible... but he has a much superior upside to Biega that's worth exploring.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If he gets picked up that would be great for him. And a mistake by canucks management. Yes they've snuck him through waivers in the past but now you have a guy that has nearly 200 games of experience in a #7/8 type role and puts up points at about a 15-20 point/82 game pace all at even strength (career pace is 16 points). There are some teams that do not have that on the third pairing (I'm not sure the canucks do!) let alone a #7/8 slot. We all saw the play of the depth blueliners for the canucks in camp...this would be a pretty significant depth loss.

It could be nullified by trying to get Schenn. I'm not a huge fan of Schenn. He had a good little run for the canucks but I don't expect that to be duplicated and it leaves you in the same depth position (i.e. it wasn't good enough with Biega). I really don't understand this management team. They seem adverse to actually building organization depth.

Stecher definitely can put up 15 to 20 points a season. Benn as well

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Rafferty was sent to Utica after a few games, while Chatfield made it until the end of preseason. Seems pretty clear who management prefers at this point. Cap management for the win! once again. Let go of useful players, and overpay crap that shouldn't even be in the league anymore...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
And you definitely don't want another player capable of doing that ready to jump in when injuries hit that's for sure!

No

I am just confirming your statement about Canucks not having a 15 to 20 point player on the third pairing is not accurate

Last edited:
Reactions: DL44

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Rafferty was sent to Utica after a few games, while Chatfield made it until the end of preseason. Seems pretty clear who management prefers at this point.

Not necessarily. Barring a run of injuries they were both certainly bound for Utica; Canucks might've decided to send Rafferty earlier to get settled in there and become familiar with his new team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Rafferty was sent to Utica after a few games, while Chatfield made it until the end of preseason. Seems pretty clear who management prefers at this point. Cap management for the win! once again. Let go of useful players, and overpay crap that shouldn't even be in the league anymore...
I think that means little.
Raffety looked ready to go for Utica. Chatfield looked like he needed a tonne of work. Think they kept him up to work with him.... Rafferty sent down to get going with Utica's coaches and systems for a top pairing start to the season.

That's the way I read it.

Reactions: Nomobo

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know if it resulted in a goal or not but do any Nuck fans know what play I am talking about here? Biega rushed the puck into the zone and did a toedrag around a defender and then made a goal mouth pass that I believe went off the post. I wanna say it happened vs the Kings?

Does this sound familiar?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No

I am just confirming youf statement about Canucks not having a 15 to 20 player on the third pairing is not accurate

1) It's more than points though my post was not clear I'll give you that.

2) And I'm not sure they are true comparables. Biega points/60 (0.89, 1.32) is greater than either Stecher (0.52, 1.02) and Benn (0.68, 0.90) the past couple years. Biega does more offensively with his minutes.

And I'd honestly definitely play Stecher ahead of Biega. I trust Stecher as a decent #5 that can step up when needed. Benn I'm not a huge fan of and gets credit because of name. I'm not sure I'd play him ahead of Biega to be honest.

And I've also been quite consistent that I don't actually think Biega is a top 6 guy. I think he is a a good #7/8. That's a slot the canucks need competent depth in to withstand the inevitable injuries. It makes little sense to waive a guy that has shown ability to play that role. I don't believe Fantenberg is on the same level. No one else showed they were ready. So if Biega gets claimed it can weaken the blueline.

Reactions: I am toxic

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

To be fair by the all star break Myers will be on the third pairing putting up more than 15 points

Reactions: vanuck

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To be fair by the all star break Myers will be on the third pairing putting up more than 15 points

True enough.

The issue with the canucks blueline is that they do not have the high end talent and they don't have good depth. This could be a good blueline if you had one or two guys that push Edler and Tanev down the ranks. Myers isn't that guy.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't know if it resulted in a goal or not but do any Nuck fans know what play I am talking about here? Biega rushed the puck into the zone and did a toedrag around a defender and then made a goal mouth pass that I believe went off the post. I wanna say it happened vs the Kings?

Does this sound familiar?

I remember the toe drag rush (no other details remembered about it tho).... no goal, but it would of been legendary.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad