Player Discussion Alex Biega

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if there is such a thing as a player's gm, benning is one, maybe to a fault.

will miss the bulldog. do not understand this move.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Well that surely has us all shocked. Biega is about as good of a depth defenseman you can find. No one is saying he’s the best thing to ever come upon this league but he’s perfectly fine in his role and for some reason we traded that away.

how long before Benning is saying he needs to get a depth defenseman because our current ones are no good and can’t fill in when injuries inevitably hit?

It would be the most Benning thing ever to see him trade something for a depth defensemen later this year.

Reactions: rypper and geebaan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be the most Benning thing ever to see him trade something for a depth defensemen later this year.

You can almost guarantee that we're going to trade a mid-round pick for a defender (who will be worse than Biega) by mid-season when we have tons of injuries and zero depth. Benning can't plan any further than the end of his nose.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You can almost guarantee that we're going to trade a mid-round pick for a defender (who will be worse than Biega) by mid-season when we have tons of injuries and zero depth. Benning can't plan any further than the end of his nose.

I think Benning (and many here) have far too much faith in the defensemen in Utica.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Benning (and many here) have far too much faith in the defensemen in Utica.

Brisebois and Chatfield are simply not NHL-calibre. But the team really seemed to like how the played in the preseason, for reasons that are beyond me. Sautner wasn't even given a look in the preseason.

Rafferty shows some promise but it's an incredibly small sample size at this point.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Can we all agree that there might be a greater-than-zero possibility that the Canucks are "in the playoff hunt" come January or so, a couple defensemen go down, and they end up paying a draft pick to acquire depth on D, who might even end up being Biega?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It just sucks that all of these guys who worked their asses off in our system to prove that they were cheap effective bottom of the roster players have been cast aside in favour of overpaid junk from other organizations. To me that hurts team culture and morale.

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It just sucks that all of these guys who worked their asses off in our system to prove that they were cheap effective bottom of the roster players have been cast aside in favour of overpaid junk from other organizations. To me that hurts team culture and morale.

There are bigger things wrong with this organization but this is the one that pisses me off the most.

It's just galling to see likable hard-working character guys come up through the system, play well enough that they should be cheap bottom-roster guys providing value to the organization, and then be constantly dumped on as this idiot GM parachutes overpaid garbage from other organizations in to play in front of them, and we get to watch a downgrade for $millions more.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Can we all agree that there might be a greater-than-zero possibility that the Canucks are "in the playoff hunt" come January or so, a couple defensemen go down, and they end up paying a draft pick to acquire depth on D, who might even end up being Biega?

It won't be Biega, regardless of how he plays. I think there's a chance he plays well in Detroit and fetches a pick for Detroit at the Deadline, but if they were blind to him being useful when he was here I dont' see how it would dawn on them then.

There are bigger things wrong with this organization but this is the one that pisses me off the most.

It's just galling to see likable hard-working character guys come up through the system, play well enough that they should be cheap bottom-roster guys providing value to the organization, and then be constantly dumped on as this idiot GM parachutes overpaid garbage from other organizations in to play in front of them, and we get to watch a downgrade for $millions more.

Yeah.

Alex Biega has proven, time and time again, to be better than every single player that Jim Benning has brought in to play above him. Better than Luca Sbisa. Better than Matt Bartkowski. Better than Derrick Pouliot and Phil Larsen. Better than Michael Del Zotto and Erik Gudbranson. Every. Single. Year. Jim Benning says "Ah-HA Alex, I have a new challenge for you; you need to beat these guys out for jobs!" And every. Single. Year. Alex Biega plays better than the scrubs Jim Benning puts out there and every. Single. Year. He sits quietly in the press box and doesn't complain despite being demonstrably better than these guys who are being played ahead of him. And his reward for literally proving himself to be better than Benning's targets every year and then continuing to work hard and not complain while he gets shafted every year in favour of soon-to-be-out-of-the-league scrubs? "Sorry Alex, you have lost your job to (checks notes) Oscar Fantenberg." Why. Honestly, why? Who the f*** is Oscar Fantenberg? What has Oscar *checks notes again* Fantenberg done for this organization? Is he better than Biega? Given this team's track record I would argue it is extremely unlikely. Almost impossible that this team has managed to find a cheap upgrade here given their track record. Given what we've seen literally for 4 straight years, are you really willing to believe that something different would happen this year? After 4 straight years of this clueless staff playing scrubs ahead of Biega, scrubs who played a full season in Vancouver and then couldn't find a job in the NHL after? But Fanten...what's his name, again? Fantaneberg is the guy! This one is going to stick. You want to believe that? You want to put any money on that? At best, at BEST, there is WHAT, a 25% chance that he might get you 1 more point in the standings than Biega over the course of a season, MAYBE? I think that's probably being generous. And that was worth it for some reason? Why? Seriously, WHY?

It's a joke. It's a complete joke. It's nauseating. It's honestly sickening to support this team right now. They just get more and more unlikeable with each season.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Who?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It won't be Biega, regardless of how he plays. I think there's a chance he plays well in Detroit and fetches a pick for Detroit at the Deadline, but if they were blind to him being useful when he was here I dont' see how it would dawn on them then.

.... And that was worth it for some reason? Why? Seriously, WHY?

Well, you know, we have the Chatfields and Raffertys and Juolevis all chomping at the bit and ready for NHL deployment! Honest.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No, pip wrote all these guys worked there a ss es off in our system and the roster spot are given to overpaid players.

I am asking right now who are all these players that are working hard that don't have roster spots?

Gaunce, Archibald, and Biega are the players I was thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->