Player Discussion Alex Biega

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
What? Do people still think Edler is a good defenseman? He doesn't play at a 100% level because his back is ****, he's scared to go after the puck on the forecheck because he's going to get hit in the back and might break it. Don't believe me? Watch.

Everything Edler does is slow because he's worried about his back. He needs to go and I wouldn't re-sign him for minimum salary. Del Zotto and Gudbranson are better than him, that's hard facts.
Lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How or why this guy sat in the press-box for more than half the season while a guy like Gudbranson lumbered around out there, is something that's hard to rationalize.

Did Green play Gudbranson to have the GM's back, because he went out on a limb and re-upped him to that ridiculous contract? Biega has more points now the Gudbranson had in the last two seasons combined. I'ts uncanny how Biega is able to get his shots through to the net.

But Biega might be Green's worst coaching decision of the season.

Reactions: CCF

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
How or why this guy sat in the press-box for more than half the season while a guy like Gudbranson lumbered around out there, is something that's hard to rationalize.

Did Green play Gudbranson to have the GM's back, because he went out on a limb and re-upped him to that ridiculous contract? Biega has more points now the Gudbranson had in the last two seasons combined. I'ts uncanny how Biega is able to get his shots through to the net.

Only reason I can think of... Benning meddles with who gets to play in these situations.

Note how Spooner / Leivo as new acquisitions jump ahead the entire roster to the top6 when they join the team.

Reactions: Peter10

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Wrong, I put Gagner and Nilsson way ahead of him. Hell, at least Biega has a bit of a happy ending...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Scoring at a 35 point/82 GP pace with no PP time.

Obviously its a bit of a mirage.

But still... When you compare him to Gudbranson and Pouliot.
I've been saying all year he should have been playing ahead of both.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Like we’ve been saying for years now, Biega is an NHL dman and a pretty effective one at that. He’s always been tougher, smarter, and plays harder than MDZ Gud Pou and somehow only gets into the lineup because of injuries (seems to be the only way for the right players to get into the lineup).

A direct knock against anyone who thinks either Benning or Green can properly assess talent.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Biega is a top 6 NHL defensemen. It's a real facepalm that he has spent the majority of his time in the NHL as a healthy catch when he so very obviously better than Pouliot, Gudbranson, and MDZ. While these guys continued to make mistake after mistake and eat up significant minutes, the Canucks had a more effective player watching the game.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Biega is a top 6 NHL defensemen. It's a real facepalm that he has spent the majority of his time in the NHL as a healthy catch when he so very obviously better than Pouliot, Gudbranson, and MDZ. While these guys continued to make mistake after mistake and eat up significant minutes, the Canucks had a more effective player watching the game.
Don't tell anyone about what you have seen. Biega is Vancouver's secret weapon. The ultimate slowplay.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Biega's shot from the point is creating havoc down low for the opposing teams....it really is remarkable how he uses a short windup and finds a shooting lane through to the net....just about everybody else, including Edler and Hutton, just consistently hit shin-pads or have to fire it back into the corner.

Winning goal from Granlund another example of Biega getting his shot through and creating a wild scramble around the crease. Makes you wonder how many more wins they might have if they hadn't persisted with Gudbreanson, MDZ and Pouliot for another lost season.

It really is an embarrassment that he was scratched for an interminable number of games this season.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Biega's shot from the point is creating havoc down low for the opposing teams....it really is remarkable how he uses a short windup and finds a shooting lane through to the net....just about everybody else, including Edler and Hutton, just consistently hit shin-pads or have to fire it back into the corner.

Winning goal from Granlund another example of Biega getting his shot through and creating a wild scramble around the crease. Makes you wonder how many more wins they might have if they hadn't persisted with Gudbreanson, MDZ and Pouliot for another lost season.

It really is an embarrassment that he was scratched for an interminable number of games this season.

I like Biega too. I think the issue was we have too many guys with contracts that they clearly shouldn't have playing ahead of him. Was Guddy better than Biega? Nope. But his contract said he has to play, or our owner would be wondering why 4.5 million is sitting in the press box.

Reactions: daddyohsix

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I like Biega too. I think the issue was we have too many guys with contracts that they clearly shouldn't have playing ahead of him. Was Guddy better than Biega? Nope. But his contract said he has to play, or our owner would be wondering why 4.5 million is sitting in the press box.

<cough>and Loui Eriksson<cough>

Reactions: MarkMM

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I’m probably the odd one here, but I genuinely don’t like him as a player. He’s a decent 7th guy but nothing more, he can skate but not really good at offence nor defence. I don’t see any big difference between him and Fantenberg. Yeah yeah he looked better in the pre season but I think we likely wont notice much difference between both of their on ice play in real games.

I know some people here have grown into him through out the past years, don’t worry he will go through the waivers and be called up again in a few week

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’m probably the odd one here, but I genuinely don’t like him as a player. He’s a decent 7th guy but nothing more, he can skate but not really good at offence nor defence. I don’t see any big difference between him and Fantenberg. Yeah yeah he looked better in the pre season but I think we likely wont notice much difference between both of their on ice play in real games.

I know some people here have grown into him through out the past years, don’t worry he will go through the waivers and be called up again in a few week

We will see.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He actually looked worse in the preseason than the back half of last season when he was consistently one of our best players.

And again, for 'not good at offense' he has more ES points than any other defender on our team in his last 82 games and puts pucks toward oppositions nets nearly 50% more than any other Canuck defender.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There is a good chance he clears. Hopefully he does, it will give us a lot of flexibility with inevitable injuries.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully he clears, as he would be a terrific captain in Utica. Would be a real indictment on pro scouting around the league for that to happen though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Biega is like Jordie Benn without the size and famous brother. Biega could of been an NHL regular for years and be seen as a good bottom pairing Dman especially with the game but it is what it is. Biega could still carve out a Mike Weaver type career but he could easily be lost in the shuffle. He just doesn't do much but I'm not sure if he deserves to lose his place to Fantenberg.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Biega was on waivers last season and there were no takers....hard to understand given how short the supply is of right-shooting d-men in the NHL. But if he clears, he'll soon be back. The Canucks back-end has been like a Mash Unit the last few seasons, and I don't see this one being any different.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Biega was on waivers last season and there were no takers....hard to understand given how short the supply is of right-shooting d-men in the NHL. But if he clears, he'll soon be back. The Canucks back-end has been like a Mash Unit the last few seasons, and I don't see this one being any different.

I have concluded that Alex Biega has a really bad agent.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad