GDT: Albany Devils Games (PART II)

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, that'd be a real tough question. Palmieri COULD have developed into a real workhorse, Ponikarovsky sorta player with average skill all around and above average physical game.

Whitney, I'm not really sure he could replicate his AHL numbers in the NHL. I just don't see his offense being good enough to outweigh the knocks on his game. When you're pretty much a replacement-level player from a physicality standpoint, your other attributes have to be through the roof to be successful. In the end, I think that's why Tedenby still has a (slight) chance and Whitney is more likely to spend most of his career in the A. I'd certainly give him a chance though, and if he keeps playing well, he'll make his own chance.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's tough to compare the two. Palmieri is more of a grinder that plays physically then what Whitney plays. I think Whitney is capable of having a larger impact at the NHL than Palmieri though.
I think Palmieri might be a staple grinder guy. Maybe like a Poni guy, but not sure if he'll peak where Poni did with multiple 20+ goal seasons. I picked him to score 15 goals before 11/12, and maybe 35 points. Most of this was based on the half season before when he was with Kovy, and pretty good. I remember his first game in 09/10, and he got an assist in his first game. He looked great that night, but I wasn't sad to see him go last year cause he was a disappointment, but my expectations were too high obviously.

Whitney like I said though screams Gionta to me. Stephen before Brian, but still a good compliment.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Palmieri and physical in the same sentence? The guy was weak, he didn't use his size at all.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty don't have to wear the Rangers hat, or whatever team drafts his boy's hat like Matteau Sr did when we drafted him right?:laugh:

Where is Anthony projected to be taken in the draft as of right now?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Marty don't have to wear the Rangers hat, or whatever team drafts his boy's hat like Matteau Sr did when we drafted him right?:laugh:

Where is Anthony projected to be taken in the draft as of right now?

I think Marty said as much after Stefan was drafted... that he didn't think he could wear a NYR hat under similar circumstances, if I'm not mistaken.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Marty said as much after Stefan was drafted... that he didn't think he could wear a NYR hat under similar circumstances, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think I remember that. Would be cool if Montreal could draft him or something. Keep him out of the Atlantic!

If the rumors or Marty becoming the GM once Lou's done are true, that would be weird if we had to compete against his son's team all the time.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
He does still take unnecessary risks with his pinches, but he has gotten better about it. I like his aggressiveness in the offensive zone, he loves having the puck on his stick.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think if Tallinder or another D man is not traded this year, or next I would expect, and assume we don't re sign Tallinder in 2014. It makes no sense, is too much useless money, and Merrill, and Urbom will need spots by then. Even Gelinas maybe.

If Tallinder or somebody is traded, I assume we will not re sign Zidlicky, and maybe Urbom gets that spot next year. I think he's closer than Gelinas, because he's actually played at least a dozen NHL games over the last two years. Urbom, and Taormina were the go to guys last year, and Taormina is gone.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wish Gelinas had dressed for the game I watched. I was really curious to get an idea of who might be farther ahead on the depth chart.

I've liked what I've seen. He's been very solid defensively. Maybe not as physical as I would like.

I agree and disagree. Urbom definitely knows how to take advantage of his size. He was practically unbeatable along the boards and was shielding the puck with ease. However, he's definitely not the kinda guy that's looking to make a hit. He could really dominate with his size but he sorta chooses not to (much like Tallinder, actually).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey what's up with Parse. Sorry if it's already been answered, but this guy has he been a healthy scratch for that many games? I certainly never heard about any injuries to him. I noticed he missed a big stretch of games early in the season, and even just recently too cause I just noticed him back in the lineup last weekend. I forgot all about him until then.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Hey what's up with Parse. Sorry if it's already been answered, but this guy has he been a healthy scratch for that many games? I certainly never heard about any injuries to him. I noticed he missed a big stretch of games early in the season, and even just recently too cause I just noticed him back in the lineup last weekend. I forgot all about him until then.

He got some playing time in one of the last 2 or 3 games. I guess he's just on the rotation with the rest of the middling players.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He got some playing time in one of the last 2 or 3 games. I guess he's just on the rotation with the rest of the middling players.

Probably a dumb question, but he's a long shot for the NHL team right? I just remember a lot of talk about him getting a spot. I wouldn't really waste a roster spot on him. Think he only has 2 or 3 points. I mean he might be a better option than Sestito if we need to go down that road. That he probably is.

I had a dream Parse was on the team, but Butler wasn't.:shakehead

Hey I can't help what I dream!

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Probably a dumb question, but he's a long shot for the NHL team right? I just remember a lot of talk about him getting a spot. I wouldn't really waste a roster spot on him. Think he only has 2 or 3 points. I mean he might be a better option than Sestito if we need to go down that road. That he probably is.

I had a dream Parse was on the team, but Butler wasn't.:shakehead

Hey I can't help what I dream!

His status was just as much in the air as any other forwards on the team when the season started, but yeah, he hasn't exactly caught fire. Maybe when the lockout's over and he can get consistent playing time, we'll be able to get a better idea of him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His status was just as much in the air as any other forwards on the team when the season started, but yeah, he hasn't exactly caught fire. Maybe when the lockout's over and he can get consistent playing time, we'll be able to get a better idea of him.

To me I figure if he can't score then there is no use bringing him up right now. Aside from the goons every forward we got can either score, or kill penalties, etc. Parse has been used on Albany's PK, and PP, but he seems like someone that there is no use to have right now especially if we can only carry 13 forwards because of the 8 defensemen. Just can't see him getting a spot over Tedenby, or Butler.

To me I'd say the roster has to be pretty depleted for him to get a shot. I think we have enough depth right now that at the least we don't need him. We did roll with Mills, and Sestito plenty last year, but I think we have more forward depth. Not more star power, but depth.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I agree and disagree. Urbom definitely knows how to take advantage of his size. He was practically unbeatable along the boards and was shielding the puck with ease. However, he's definitely not the kinda guy that's looking to make a hit. He could really dominate with his size but he sorta chooses not to (much like Tallinder, actually).

A big defenceman who can play a good positional game is a good asset anyway. It's not always about the big hits.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
With this whole lockout thing not yet being settled, it looks like Larson and Josefson will still be in Albany this weekend so I'm looking at getting the papa John's family 4 pack of lower bowl tickets for $52 for this Sunday's game. It's a 4pm game so I can still get back to Jersey by 9:30-10pm after the game...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i think butler will make the team

He will for sure. If it came down to him and Tedenby, Butler would take and it ain't even close. Though there is probably room for both. Especially if Henrique is out to start the season for the first couple weeks.

I would say Butler makes it just by what he's done this year in Albany so far compared to Tedenby or anyone else who isn't a lock for a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad