Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Don’t know why. Therrien was fine whenever he’s just been hired. I know why it may not work, but I also don’t know why it can’t. Maybe Guy Carbonneau is next if we’re cornering the market on ex-Habs coaches.
Therrien was "fine" in Montreal since he had prime Price, Subban and Pacioretty. Hab fans were never happy with the decisions he made. Maybe he'll be fine as an assistant, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Therrien was "fine" in Montreal since he had prime Price, Subban and Pacioretty. Hab fans were never happy with the decisions he made. Maybe he'll be fine as an assistant, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.
You had 3 good years with him while starting with low expectations (including from myself). In 3 years we’re either living our best lives or dying in a pit of despair.

Reactions: orangecrush8

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
You had 3 good years with him while starting with low expectations (including from myself). In 3 years we’re either living our best lives or dying in a pit of despair.
Every year for about half a decade myself and countless other hockey fans thought “this would be the year” where the Habs would finally have their downfall. Yet they continuously finished in the top quarter of the conference.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every year for about half a decade myself and countless other hockey fans thought “this would be the year” where the Habs would finally have their downfall. Yet they continuously finished in the top quarter of the conference.
They probably would’ve went to the finals in 2014 had Price not gotten hurt, which is funny because he’s now working directly under the guy who beat him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Therrien was an awful coach in Montreal. Don't be fooled by the record. It's no coincidence he was never really considered for the Jack Adams...anyone who watched us regularly during his last tenure was left dumbfounded by our regular season record.

I have no clue what he'd bring as an assistant, him and Vigneault are great friends I guess. Whoever hires him as a head coach in the NHL deserves whatever's coming to them after ending the experience.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It may simply be that AV wants a sounding board he can trust, and won't give Therrien any real responsibility.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He's a good coach and a fantastic hire.

Maybe a team who has a history of slow starts to seasons and games needs a bit of a jerk to fire them up. Hextall seemed to want drones. This is a huge step in the other direction to me and a great sign.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
On Vigneault and Therrien, put me in the wait and see camp. I had someone else in mind (Keefe), but he might not even be available.

One thing I do know is that Hakstol, Lappy, Murphy and Knoblauch had zero pro head coaching experience when they were hired by the Flyers. In my humble opinion, that was absolutely nuts.

AV and Therrien have nearly 2,000 games as NHL head coaches. I really hope they're not old and stale, but that's a lot of experience. AV won a Jack Adams and Therrien was nominated for one.

It's not my "perfect" scenario, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we've been putting up with over the past few years.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
On Vigneault and Therrien, put me in the wait and see camp. I had someone else in mind (Keefe), but he might not even be available.

One thing I do know is that Hakstol, Lappy, Murphy and Knoblauch had zero pro head coaching experience when they were hired by the Flyers. In my humble opinion, that was absolutely nuts.

AV and Therrien have nearly 2,000 games as NHL head coaches. I really hope they're not old and stale, but that's a lot of experience. AV won a Jack Adams and Therrien was nominated for one.

It's not my "perfect" scenario, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we've been putting up with over the past few years.
Maybe I'm over-exaggerating it. But my big complaint with Hextall was the team had no personality. And then suddenly you get Vigneault and Therrien -- well, you've gone from drones to life. It might not work. I think it will.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Maybe I'm over-exaggerating it. But my big complaint with Hextall was the team had no personality. And then suddenly you get Vigneault and Therrien -- well, you've gone from drones to life. It might not work. I think it will.

We going full French Canadian. Allons-y!

I'm hoping they bring a certain je ne sais quoi to the team (damn, where's the "guy wearing a beret" emoji when I need it!)

Good grief. Will the Flyers have every washed up jackarse possible behind the bench. Is Wayne Cashman still alive?

How's Wayne's French? :D

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's a good coach and a fantastic hire.

Maybe a team who has a history of slow starts to seasons and games needs a bit of a jerk to fire them up. Hextall seemed to want drones. This is a huge step in the other direction to me and a great sign.

Not as a head coach, that's for sure; though at this stage we seem hard pressed to find former coaches you don't think are great :laugh:.

We have no idea what he is as an assistant. But we'll find out. Maybe he'll be great. Maybe he'll be a pile of Schenn.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad