Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach, 4/15/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
To me it's a great hire because it's the right hire. You can't just skip over from being trash to being a cup winning team. They haven't won a playoff round in almost 10 years. AV is the type of the coach who will get them into the playoffs next year which will give the young players some much needed experience playing in April. It's all about moving forward and making progress at this point, which is something Hextall was too stubborn to realize last off-season. Fletcher and the Flyers don't need to make big huge moves to turn things around, they need to make the right moves and AV is just that.

A billion times all this, particularly the bold. It’s a step forward, we don’t know how big of one it is yet. Any of the alternatives would be lateral steps or complete unknowns. This was the best choice available, given the entirety of the situation.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That was the shortest interview process I've ever seen. We don't even know if any other coaches get fired in the next couple weeks.

This screams: "We wanted a veteran with experience like Quenneville dammit, and if we can't get him, then we need the next closest veteran with experience."

It seems pretty clear that AV was #2 on their wish list, and they didn't really care about anyone else once they confirmed their interest. Well, I guess you can't say they're not taking a hard turn from the Hextall/Hakstol era. Went about as opposite as it gets into double re-tread territory. It's the type of move that superficially appeases the masses because he's a "name" and with it less risk (and reward).
This kind of move is translatable into, "We were never in the running for Panarin, and Duchene didn't want to come here either. But we offered Kevin Hayes $8 million over 5 years, and he's gonna be our new 2C! Aren't you happy, he was in the playoffs last year! He's super familiar with the Metro division, so he's up for the task at hand to turn the Flyers around, single handily. And a great friend and teammate of Kevin's Tyler Myers is our new veteran D! He's played a lot of games, and we failed at getting Karlsson, and are not interested in a good hockey trade, so we threw money at it, like it's 1999 (or at least pre-salary cap)."

Whomp whomp

Reactions: Larry44

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This kind of move is translatable into, "We were never in the running for Panarin, and Duchene didn't want to come here either. But we offered Kevin Hayes $8 million over 5 years, and he's gonna be our new 2C! Aren't you happy, he was in the playoffs last year! He's super familiar with the Metro division, so he's up for the task at hand to turn the Flyers around, single handily. And a great friend and teammate of Kevin's Tyler Myers is our new veteran D! He's played a lot of games, and we failed at getting Karlsson, and are not interested in a good hockey trade, so we threw money at it, like it's 1999 (or at least pre-salary cap)."

Whomp whomp

So, what would be your preferred alternative, and how would that (likely unproven) selection be congruous with the notion that the team is also gunning for instant, dramatic improvement?

Basically, how does hiring the best/most proven available NHL coach indicate to you that the team will not be interested in pursuing the most proven available NHL talent this offseason?

I’m not saying it does either way. I’m just trying to see how this squares, because I’ve seen similar sentiments here and on Twitter, and the only thing those seemingly contradictory thoughts have in common is just pessimism.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd have liked to see them look at Keefe, but if he really got paid that much, it had to be with the understanding that he's the heir apparent.
And the rest?

Before he won last year in Washington, Trotz was the boring (conservative defensive HC who likes "heavy" players like Komarov) alter ego to AV, the HC who gets to the dance but never gets to take the girl home.

Who knows if it'll work out, AV has never had a really deep team, he had forwards in NY but lacked defensemen, had better defensemen in Vancouver but lacked forward depth, maybe he can find the right balance here.

In the end, it comes down to Fletcher, if he makes the bad TDL trades Sather did, giving up 1st and 2nd rd picks for players who had a limited impact, they'll end up crashing and burning, if he learns from Minnesota and won't give AV easy fixes, if he calls short, the next HC should have the players in place to make a run.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Not Keefe.

However, not Hakstol, Gordon, or some other asshole that literally cannot coach in the NHL.

We can only wait and see if he embraces the youth. At least we know his coaching style is one that will at the very least close the gaps between our D and F during breakouts down to a reasonable one. That alone will do wonders for these guys. That line of thinking has me warmed up to AV at least a touch since this afternoon. I will become a bigger fan of his if he cleans these assistants out.

I'm not thrilled but I'm also not outraged. Yet.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I think the hiring will definitely put an end to the...... it's the players/ its the coach debate. He's a good enough coach to get results so we'll see if the players are good enough.

Also everyone bitching about the hiring, well people complain about Hitch, Trotz, Lavy, Tortorella, Babcock hell hawks fans complained about Q but all these guys won cups, there's no perfect coach out there but it has to be better than Beavis and Butthead.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Front Office Staff

Should we be worried that they changed the HC on the website (said Gordon Interim earlier) but didn't remove the assistants?

Executive Vice President & General ManagerChuck Fletcher
Vice President & Assistant General ManagerBarry Hanrahan
Vice President & Assistant General ManagerBrent Flahr
Head CoachAlain Vigneault
Assistant CoachKris Knoblauch
Assistant CoachIan Laperriere
Assistant CoachRick Wilson
Goaltending CoachKim Dillabaugh
Video CoachAdam Patterson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No.

But if the same assistants are there in a month, be very worried.

Take it how you will but the Ranger fans are laughing our asses off at this signing. Feel free to be as optimistic as you want!

I was Quenneville guy, who became a Keefe guy, who was kinda meh about the AV signing.

But after reading about the Rags fans laughing their arses off (how does one do that, exactly?) and just hearing that Alain has been up all night plotting how he's going to turn our 3-1 series advantage in 2018-19 into a sweep next season, I'm now an optimistic Vigneault fan. :D

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This goes directly against what we have been hearing from fans of his former teams, who felt like he was terrible at in-game management. Something to keep an eye on.

Compared to Torts I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dropoff. No one was ever worse at game management than Hakstol so it's a low bar to clear.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
av2.jpg

Just wanted an excuse to bust out this old pic. And don't forget, he can have a laugh once in a while.

Anyway, my thoughts on various things I've seen in this thread (because I know you're all dying to hear them):
  • You guys definitely got the best coach on the market.
  • Damn, that's a lot of years on the contract.
  • I don't watch a lot of Rangers games and don't follow that team very closely, so I have no idea what weird chimera AV became in his last days in NYC, but he remains the best coach the Canucks ever had. Things ended up slipping away from him in the end here, but that happens to every coach eventually. And there was more going on here that just the coach losing his touch. He went from a trapping anti-hockey guru who snarled at everyone who didn't speak French to a very forward-thinking always-attack master of linematching and deployment. Sure, he had his inexplicable favourites in Glass and Rome, but compared to the clumps we've had behind bench since he left I'd take him back in Vancouver in a heartbeat. And Green's even been okay with the crap roster he's got, but AV still towers over him.
  • "Play the game between the whistles"? Yeah, don't know who said that's his thing. Uh...nope.
  • Can be a bit of a prickly pear with the media but f*** them.
  • Hodgson's big issues were chronic injuries and psycho hockey parents, not AV. Okay, they weren't on great terms, but Hodgson's issues were more with management. And someone on the Canucks' medical staff misdiagnosed his back ailments which is what led to a lot of problems when the team was questioning his work ethic and commitment in the press. And this problem of doctors misdiagnosing things has got a LOT worse under Benning. Just pop by the Canucks' board for a quick rundown. As I followed along with Hodgson's development, every time his agent was mentioned, it was somebody new. For a while it was JP Barry. Then someone else. Then another guy. And that always struck me as weird. Then he was traded and Gillis said publicly that he spent more time dealing with Hodgson than any other player. So AV wasn't the main problem. Also, Hodgson retired from the NHL after being diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia brought on by a genetic condition nobody knew he had. Not because he didn't want to be an AHLer.
  • Grabner was competing with a spot for Raymond and Raymond won. He didn't even make the team he was traded to initially and only became a decent player after being claimed on waivers by NYI, AV didn't ruin him. He just didn't do dick with the opportunity he had here.
  • AV is better than any coach currently on the market. IIRC I mentioned that. I wish him and the Flyers well. I have no hard feelings about him at all.
Cam Barker was not very good and Q and Hawks moved on from him after seeing enough

It was Mr Barker who buried his career not Q or Hawks

And in Vancouver they had guys like Rome , Alberts and Barker that he played at times over Tanev. Thanks for further proving my point

Tanev was just transitioning from the AHL in AV's last year. He was nowhere near ready for prime time which is why AV played low-event but at least proven NHL vets like Rome and Alberts over him. Barker was only in the lineup because of injuries and remains the single worst "defenseman" I've ever seen play at the NHL level. But Tanev was still only on his way up by then. Get your facts straight.

Last edited:

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
What does any business get out of interviews with candidates for open positions?

Really just asking the Flyers to do the bare minimum in assessing hiring options. Maybe they would’ve circled back to Vigneault after looking at a handful of other coaches. I wanted them to at least consider that there might be more than 2-3 people who could find success as the head coach of the Flyers.

Businesses don’t have access to years of game film. When I interview someone I only have a resume and maybe a couple of references so the interview process is more important.
Interviewing a coach is totally different. You likely are gauging their level of interest and their comfort level with how much or little input they will have in things like hiring assistants, draft picks, call ups, etc. People are not being realistic if they don’t think the team has an idea of who they want when the process starts.

Reactions: tucson83

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
We know that he leaned hard on veteran players in New York, which wouldn't suit our team at all. So if they hired him with that in mind, without talking to him, they are ****ed in the head. By talking to him, they could find out if he was willing to adapt to a younger roster. If he said "Yes," then they had to assess whether he was just blowing smoke up their ass with his answer. If his answer was "No, I cannot adapt" and they hired him anyway, they are ****ed in the head.

tl;dr They are ****ed in the head.

Rangers had no farm system to call up when AV was there. Didn’t they go through a long win now period with Torts and AV.
Maybe he would have leaned on the vets anyway because aside from Skjei who did they have in the minors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad