Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach, 4/15/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
For everyone saying AV is a bad hire, who would have been better? I see a lot of people making this claim but not many suggesting alternatives that are better options then AV is.

Keefe who extended with Marlies at 4 times his salary ( Hmmmm ). Other than that, haven’t seen any other alternatives

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Vancouver roster he inherited was good, but no powerhouse. They were never a top 5 talented team in the NHL. And definitely neither were the Rangers, who overachieved under both Torts and Vigneault, who are both excellent coaches who tend to get results that exceed their teams' talent levels.

You cant be serious?

Those 2010-11 and 11-12 Nucks teams was easily a top 5 talented team in NHL

Sedins , Luongo , Kesler , Edler , Burrows , Schneider etc , etc

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
One thing I'm super curious about with AV is how he handles the goaltending circus that is philly. AV had prime Schneider, Luongo and Lundquist. Will Hart be good enough for his system? Should be a very entertaining upcoming season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For everyone saying AV is a bad hire, who would have been better? I see a lot of people making this claim but not many suggesting alternatives that are better options then AV is.
Most of the people against the Vigneault hire wanted Sheldon Keefe or bust, because he's the Corsi darling.

A love of Corsi and a "modern" swarm defense that worked in the AHL didn't turn out so hot for Dallas Eakins when he moved to the NHL, but that tends to get ignored. A lot of people think you can just snap your fingers, tell your players to maintain possession, and bingo -- your players will automatically be able to execute it and succeed at any level.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Are you suggesting that any one without some degree of experience and demonstrable success in the NHL was ever a legitimate option? Or should we interview every one who has ever coached hockey in any league in the world in hopes that we find one that really knocks our socks off in an interview? Due diligence and all...

My fictional son’s hockey coach would do a bang-up job.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You cant be serious?

Those 2010-11 and 11-12 Nucks teams was easily a top 5 talented team in NHL

Sedins , Luongo , Kesler , Edler , Burrows , Schneider etc , etc

They were a good team. Not "easily a top 5 talented team in the NHL."

Edler and Burrows are not two of the top 6 players on any "powerhouse" roster. There were plenty of rosters as good or better.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Most of the people against the Vigneault hire wanted Sheldon Keefe or bust, because he's the Corsi darling.

A love of Corsi and a "modern" swarm defense that worked in the AHL didn't turn out so hot for Dallas Eakins when he moved to the NHL, but that tends to get ignored. A lot of people think you can just snap your fingers, tell your players to maintain possession, and bingo -- your players will automatically be able to execute it and succeed at any level.

That's not actually why any of us wanted Keefe. I don't think I've ever heard the word "Corsi" mentioned in relation to Keefe. The reason he's a hot commodity is he's done well with young players and won AHL titles with them. If we wanted a guy who was a Corsi darling we should just go get Babcock.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

What’s to say though that Keefe would have even been interested... it’s quite possible that he’s comfortable waiting in Toronto to see if they grow tired of Babcock and then be the front runner for that job. Now that may not necessarily happen for a few seasons or at all but as a new coach looking to cut my teeth in the league, I’d rather wait for a situation I’m comfortable with, instead of rushing into a job that may not be an easy fix. If things go south for AV in Philly, he will likely get another crack but if things go south for Keefe, that could be it for a while and possibly at all.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
What’s to say though that Keefe would have even been interested... it’s quite possible that he’s comfortable waiting in Toronto to see if they grow tired of Babcock and then be the front runner for that job. Now that may not necessarily happen for a few seasons or at all but as a new coach looking to cut my teeth in the league, I’d rather wait for a situation I’m comfortable with, instead of rushing into a job that may not be an easy fix. If things go south for AV in Philly, he will likely get another crack but if things go south for Keefe, that could be it for a while and possibly at all.

No AHL coach says no to an NHL job.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I have no idea if Keefe would've been interested in the Flyers. For all I know he is simply waiting for the seemingly inevitable Babcock firing in Toronto.

I also think a lot of organizations aren't interested in Keefe due to the whole David Frost connection.

Keefe seems like a weird guy. I'm actually very interested to see how he ends up doing in the NHL. If he takes over Toronto, I think he'll do well, since they are loaded with tons of speed and skill. He probably is best off waiting for that job. I think he'd have a difficult time succeeding with his preferred tactics in the NHL with a team that is below-average in skill. I'm also curious as to how veteran NHLers will receive him, especially during rocky patches and when vets are struggling to change habits they've been ingrained in their entire careers.

Reactions: Dodospice

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That's not actually why any of us wanted Keefe. I don't think I've ever heard the word "Corsi" mentioned in relation to Keefe. The reason he's a hot commodity is he's done well with young players and won AHL titles with them. If we wanted a guy who was a Corsi darling we should just go get Babcock.

Babcock doesn't obsess over Corsi -- he has poked fun at it before, like a lot of coaches have. His Detroit teams had great Corsis because of the types of players they had, but he's not a Corsi fanatic, per se.

There have been dozens of stories discussing Keefe's fondness for advanced metrics and extreme focus on puck possession. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing at all. I'm intrigued. But out of curiosity I'd like to see him take over a poor NHL team and see how it goes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If Fletcher does his job there won't be any bad vets on the roster, including Hagg and MacDonald.

If that's the case then the worst he can do is what, overplay Raffl and Hartman? If Simmonds were still here it might be a concern.

One of the biggest problems the Flyers have is that they never hit the blue line with speed, something Fletcher alluded to in his presser. It sounds like AV will definitely fix that. If he has a decent breakout system and our special teams don't suck, he'll be an upgrade. Let's carry on.

Compared to what we've been forced to watch going back to Berube, a Raffl or Hartman being overplayed would be the least painful by far.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Babcock doesn't obsess over Corsi -- he has poked fun at it before, like a lot of coaches have. His Detroit teams had great Corsis because of the types of players they had, but he's not a Corsi fanatic, per se.

There have been dozens of stories discussing Keefe's fondness for advanced metrics and extreme focus on puck possession. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing at all. I'm intrigued. But out of curiosity I'd like to see him take over a poor NHL team and see how it goes.

Babcock is the best possession coach of the past 15 years.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Crap hire is uninspired. No need to read 23 pages of sky is falling contra just wait and see. In the Flyers, I am disappoint. Whatever, he's a francophile, so I guess I can like that about him. That's as reasonable a detail to be hyper-specific about as any.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad