AHL Live?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
considering buying AHL Live for the upcoming season to keep a closer eye on the Belleville Sens. I'm wondering how good the VOD system is & the pricing as it's not up / i couldn't find last years pricing online. anyone have any problems at all with AHL Live?

Reactions: Michael J Scott

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
considering buying AHL Live for the upcoming season to keep a closer eye on the Belleville Sens. I'm wondering how good the VOD system is & the pricing as it's not up / i couldn't find last years pricing online. anyone have any problems at all with AHL Live?
not all teams use it and it's been a disaster since it was introduced, not all games are on there depending on each team's availability, agree, it's not worth the expense, radio coverage does way better unless you're Providence, which jettisoned its broadcasts 2 or 3 years back

Reactions: jehkob

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
not all teams use it and it's been a disaster since it was introduced, not all games are on there depending on each team's availability, agree, it's not worth the expense, radio coverage does way better unless you're Providence, which jettisoned its broadcasts 2 or 3 years back

Or Chicago who did the same a decade plus ago...morons

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I have only watched the western conference so can't speak to Belleville specifically. I've never had an issue with games not being available. Feed quality depends on what you expect or are used to. It varies from team to team. It's watchable at the very least. If you are used to watching streams of many different leagues it's fine, if you are only used to watching the NHL then it's not going to be that. Again, unfortunately I can't tell you what the Belleville stream is like but if you look up highlights on their YouTube channel that's probably a good idea of what you are looking at. The VOD system is fine, sometimes the archive isn't up until the next day but that's rare. Otherwise it's reliable enough.

There is really no other way to watch AHL so if you have an interest in doing that it's worth it. The price has been $150 for one team's home and away if you do the early bird pricing (before Oct 1, something like that). Its $300 at least for the full league. They offer away only one team for something like $70-80. People who want to watch some of the games but not the full commitment find that's satisfactory enough. One game is $7. This does not include playoffs. The AHL charges in USD too btw.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: jehkob

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
i bought a couple single game packages last season to watch BSens games. are you saying that it all depends on the home team and whether or not they have their availability?

i knew it wasn't great but I was just hoping to get a feed for all the games. might have to find another way

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I have only watched the western conference so can't speak to Belleville specifically. I've never had an issue with games not being available. Feed quality depends on what you expect or are used to. It varies from team to team. It's watchable at the very least. If you are used to watching streams of many different leagues it's fine, if you are only used to watching the NHL then it's not going to be that. Again, unfortunately I can't tell you what the Belleville stream is like but if you look up highlights on their YouTube channel that's probably a good idea of what you are looking at. The VOD system is fine, sometimes the archive isn't up until the next day but that's rare. Otherwise it's reliable enough.

There is really no other way to watch AHL so if you have an interest in doing that it's worth it. The price has been $150 for one team's home and away if you do the early bird pricing (before Oct 1, something like that). Its $300 at least for the full league. They offer away only one team for something like $70-80. People who want to watch some of the games but not the full commitment find that's satisfactory enough. One game is $7. This does not include playoffs. The AHL charges in USD too btw.

Hope that helps.
awesome response. thanks for the help. i'd used AHLLive a bit last year to catch a few games from Belleville and didn't have problems, it was just a weird setup - no overlay just raw broadcast. glad to hear about the VODs - that's an important feature for me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
awesome response. thanks for the help. i'd used AHLLive a bit last year to catch a few games from Belleville and didn't have problems, it was just a weird setup - no overlay just raw broadcast. glad to hear about the VODs - that's an important feature for me.
Oh ok, so you are familiar with it, didn't know what point you were starting from. The VOD specifically, the game is usually available within an hour of it ending but one quirk saves only the home audio feed. I use iPad so I can't restart playback in the middle of a live game but on laptop/PC you can. I've never had a problem with the VOD, as any technology there's a glitch occasionally but the system works fine.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AFAIK, most AHL teams do not have TV broadcasts, so it's usually the jumbotron display with radio pxp.

In a few venues, the home/away radios were not synchronized the same (usually the away).

Haven't seen the deets for the upcoming Barracuda radio schedule, but their primary radio feed often did tape delayed games (especially when on the road in different time zone). So the only way to "listen live" was via AHL Live coverage.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
It really all depends on where your team is playing and which feed you're watching. Some teams are great, some are terrible. Syracuse's feed looks like the game is filmed with a flip phone, meanwhile some teams have very good cameras. Most teams have a scoreboard and clock/PP time, some (somehow) still don't. Some teams show crowd shots way too much (overlapping actual gameplay) and some keep it the way it should be.

You said you have some experience with watching some Belleville games last year, and I would put them about middle of the pack in terms of overall quality. Personally, I can't commit to a whole package, but I'll watch select games here and there, because the production in Binghamton is usually pretty good, and they're my team.

Like tigervixxxen said, they're watchable at the very least, and every other way to watch the AHL has gone out the window. You used to be able to find some sketchy streams online if you looked hard enough, but those sites are all gone now.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What is it that makes anyone believe this will be a superior product to the previous NeuLion feeds? What I get from the following description is that HockeyTech will offer some whiz-bang video experience for mobile phone viewers, but standard arena video feeds for all others. I'd love to be convinced otherwise. :allears:
In addition to the standard produced video feeds, AHLTV games will also feature HockeyTech’s ViPr system of video production, with every arena outfitted with a camera that will capture the entire sheet of ice in one high-definition, undistorted, panoramic view that lets mobile viewers control what they see by pinching, zooming and tilting their phone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What is it that makes anyone believe this will be a superior product to the previous NeuLion feeds? What I get from the following description is that HockeyTech will offer some whiz-bang video experience for mobile phone viewers, but standard arena video feeds for all others. I'd love to be convinced otherwise. :allears:
I can't speak for others, but at 1/3 of the price, I can live with the video quality.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The comments that I have read online so far about HockeyTech, the company that the AHL partnered with, is that the broadcast quality of their USHL streams was better than AHL Live. I imagine that video stream quality will still vary from arena to arena but every indication is that HockeyTech provides a higher quality product than Neulion did at a much more reasonable price.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT quality of feeds...

From email/press release:
Available at theahl.com/AHLTV, AHLTV will feature live streaming of every AHL game in high definition on desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile devices, as well as over-the-top (OTT) platforms such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast and Android TV. AHLTV subscriptions, which include live and archived games, will begin at just $79.99 (US) for the entire 2018-19 regular season.

Previously, it was usually SD.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad