AHL Live?

Growler

May 16, 2018
Watched the Marlie game at Utica. Really good service. I'll probably sign up for the road game package.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Pre-game video quality @ Giant Center in Hershey is very clear & crisp. Same for PPL Center in the Valley. Hopefully their camera work during game play will match.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Audio volume problems in WBS on Sat night, worse for SPFLD than for the Baby Pens play-by-play.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Temporary glitch in the San Antonio AHLTV feed on Saturday night. Video window suddenly showed "This broadcast has not started" with about 3 minutes left in the first period. Video feed did eventually return before the period ended. Shades of NeuLion.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Temporary glitch in the San Antonio AHLTV feed on Saturday night. Video window suddenly showed "This broadcast has not started" with about 3 minutes left in the first period. Video feed did eventually return before the period ended. Shades of NeuLion.
Same thing happened a few times in the marlie game.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Primary camera positions in Tucson & in Bakersfield are distant from the ice surface, but both have good video quality & smooth panning and zooming to follow game play.

account deactivated

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Same thing happened a few times in the marlie game.
Even with these issues it's been much more stable than NHLTV was when it launched. I know there are more users for that service, but they also have a lot more money pumped into it. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Reactions: JMCx4

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Annoying switches from wide angle to closer views in Cedar Park @ H-E-B Center. I do enjoy listening to the GR Griffins play-by-play guy, though. :popcorn:

Watched this feed tonight since the Admirals were playing and yes, oh my God yes was this annoying. Random camera angles. The main camera angle was perfect except for the times when the cameraman wasn't paying attention at all so you had no idea where the puck was. This got better after the 1st period but the guy missed several scoring chances by randomly moving the camera towards the middle of the ice.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Had a couple of glitches.

"Fixed" by refreshing screen.

Was able to use 15s rewind, but going forward 15s didn't work (had to select "live").

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Watching Manitoba at Iowa, if you want a pretty good example of what you hope this service to be, it would be that. Good production, audio fine, various angles during play, smooth replays.

Reactions: JMCx4

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Watched this feed tonight since the Admirals were playing and yes, oh my God yes was this annoying. Random camera angles. The main camera angle was perfect except for the times when the cameraman wasn't paying attention at all so you had no idea where the puck was. This got better after the 1st period but the guy missed several scoring chances by randomly moving the camera towards the middle of the ice.

That is a Texas Stars issue. Had the same exact problems on the previous service as well. Until they get a new director, it'll be a problem. Makes those games in CP so hard to watch.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I've been watching this weekend on the free preview. Hell of a product compared to what was available in previous years.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Watched this feed tonight since the Admirals were playing and yes, oh my God yes was this annoying. Random camera angles. The main camera angle was perfect except for the times when the cameraman wasn't paying attention at all so you had no idea where the puck was.

My experience in the Texas Stars game was that the camera was so far out that it made it very difficult to make out any player numbers. What I found interesting was that some games/arenas made a point to switch cameras to avoid the "jumbotron activities" (Texas), while the Colorado feed just showed everything straight through.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well, the AHLTV free opening weekend intro comes to a close with a Monday 3 pm EDT game in Cleveland. Based on the dozen plus games I peeked in on (and followed most of a couple of them), I'd give the product an A-minus primarily on the strength of streaming video quality. Still some room to improve for the individual arena productions (out of HockeyTech's control), and the accompanying graphical stat data on the PC platform was not at all helpful from what I could figure out. I did not have the opportunity to try out the mobile device product, which reportedly has unique media features. No doubt in my mind this is a far superior product to the NeuLion offering, but that wouldn't take much more than a chalkboard & some colored lights. I hope those who chose to sign up for one of the AHLTV packages from here forward are happy with the purchase. It certainly looks promising.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
After a weekend of viewing I will buy the full season package. For only twenty bucks more than a team package it seems like a no brainer. I'll also look into getting a Roku now to help with viewing on TV.

rocketlax44

Oct 16, 2018
considering buying AHL Live for the upcoming season to keep a closer eye on the Belleville Sens. I'm wondering how good the VOD system is & the pricing as it's not up / i couldn't find last years pricing online. anyone have any problems at all with AHL Live?

The AHL switched to Hockeytech this past summer, Hockeytech had a stringent network-internet connection, and production equipment requirement, to produce an HD quality feed, consistent at all of the AHL facilities. I tested myself this past opening weekend, and was pleased with the results.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Stockton apparently has one camera (high center ice). So the view can be hard to follow the puck. Quality good. (Barracuda radio feed indicated that with the app you can zoom in and other features from that one camera. Mentioned the brand/trade name which meant nothing to me. V-something.)

Was noticing San Jose's feed benefiting from a lot of the NHL camera angles. Including center ice overhead from scoreboard, main concourse center ice x 2, high center ice, handhelds at each end. Guessing the NHL home producer may do those game, or someone with similar skill. (Still less coverage than NHL game, but a lot more cameras than Stockton)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The high camera for Ontario is so damn beautiful.
I'll bet I sat near that camera position when my wife & I visited CBBA a few seasons ago. Felt like I was strapped in & hanging beneath Foster Hewitt's Gondola at Maple Leaf Gardens. :help:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Away audio for the Admirals/Wolves game is horrid. Have my speakers all the way up and can still barely hear it.
I had similar issues with several feeds on the Opening Weekend freebie. I thought maybe they'd improve once the paid subscribers kicked in funds to move the microphone closer to the announcers. :help:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Picked up the Rochester Americans AHLTV feed for 60 bucks, well worth it. Great hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->