Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Wins 5-3: Caufield SZN Has Begun! (2 goals & 1 assist In His Debut)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's going to get hit. Hard. Howe hammered Orr the first game they played them. Elbow. Head. Howe said 'welcome to the NHL kid.' Coffee is going to be hit hard in the NHL. Real hard. Much harder than AHL.

Meh...it's not the same league. He'll get hit at some point...but it's not going to hamper him much. He has a sniping bullet so he can score from the perimeter.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Have to say I'm pretty stoked reading all the positives and seeing the highlights about CC. Not a one trick pony,can make plays and plays with poise. An excellent debut and should make a Habs winger redundant, question is,who goes? Package time MB, and get another top notch piece of the puzzle.

If only Bergy could package himself outta here

Reactions: angusyoung

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Let me make a comparison...

My biggest headache when I played was Mike Ribeiro on the Huskies, my brain couldn't follow him around, so the rest of me lagged behind him quite a bit. It's a shame he was never able to produce that level of dominance in the pros, even though looking back, he definitively was no slouch, almost 800 points.

But it looks like we get a second shot at him. Caufield reminded me of Ribeiro. So well positioned and evasive. SUCH a good stickblade to catch pucks and flatten them or just shoot those bouncers. But he's even faster, and if I remember the scouting reports he wasn't that fast when we drafted him so I guess he worked on it.

But as always, I'll add my warning: Let's see how he reacts when he gets scouted and defenses adjust to him. New skilled player coming in a league comes in mostly unknown, gotta give it a couple games before teams go "Hey, this guy, he's killing it, he does this and that, we gotta give him special coverage like X and O". Good players can get contained some, great players can get contained a lot less, mostly if you got a Carbonneau or a Lehtinen sticking to them like misery on the poor.

Also, can't ignore that some will be tempted to brain this little f***er who keeps burning them. Let's hope he can stay concussion-free, mostly.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
All thanks to Chantal Massacrée.
LOL...... English is not her first language. I'd hate to hear the butchering of the French language by the Anglo reporters (with the exception of Basu).

Another thought hit me. What if she was trying to make a pun.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let me make a comparison...

My biggest headache when I played was Mike Ribeiro on the Huskies, my brain couldn't follow him around, so the rest of me lagged behind him quite a bit. It's a shame he was never able to produce that level of dominance in the pros, even though looking back, he definitively was no slouch, almost 800 points.

But it looks like we get a second shot at him. Caufield reminded me of Ribeiro. So well positioned and evasive. SUCH a good stickblade to catch pucks and flatten them or just shoot those bouncers. But he's even faster, and if I remember the scouting reports he wasn't that fast when we drafted him so I guess he worked on it.

But as always, I'll add my warning: Let's see how he reacts when he gets scouted and defenses adjust to him. New skilled player coming in a league comes in mostly unknown, gotta give it a couple games before teams go "Hey, this guy, he's killing it, he does this and that, we gotta give him special coverage like X and O". Good players can get contained some, great players can get contained a lot less, mostly if you got a Carbonneau or a Lehtinen sticking to them like misery on the poor.

Also, can't ignore that some will be tempted to brain this little f***er who keeps burning them. Let's hope he can stay concussion-free, mostly.

The good part is that he has a skill set that demands attention and that will open things up for other players. Nobody has to play Drouin tight because there's no fear he's gonna do anything, but Caufield will likely draw two checkers to him and that extra ice is big.

I agree with others that I think Anderson & KK is the ideal linemates for him.. with Anderson size and speed, driving deep, you're going to create a lot of space for Caufield to get open and if not, that extra ice for Anderson and KK will only make them more dangerous.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The good part is that he has a skill set that demands attention and that will open things up for other players. Nobody has to play Drouin tight because there's no fear he's gonna do anything, but Caufield will likely draw two checkers to him and that extra ice is big.

I agree with others that I think Anderson & KK is the ideal linemates for him.. with Anderson size and speed, driving deep, you're going to create a lot of space for Caufield to get open and if not, that extra ice for Anderson and KK will only make them more dangerous.

That and players like Caufield need very little time and space to shoot, he’s very much going to be in that Stamkos/Ovechkin tier of shooter. Maybe he doesn’t reach the totals, but the shot and ability to release it is there.

As much as they try to stop him, they won’t be able to.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
well I hope more people will take time to hear him out. great analysis.

His press conferences are great. You can also see how much he loves hockey and his players. You ask him one question, and he'll give you a 5-minute answer. And he'll come out with some great quotes.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
His press conferences are great. You can also see how much he loves hockey and his players. You ask him one question, and he'll give you a 5-minute answer. And he'll come out with some great quotes.

Ya I loved his answer to Mr. Basu. does he make it a point to come up with the most ignorant, mario langois-esque questions ? is he okay ?

anyways - ''as much as I like coaching, I have to let him loose''

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That and players like Caufield need very little time and space to shoot, he’s very much going to be in that Stamkos/Ovechkin tier of shooter. Maybe he doesn’t reach the totals, but the shot and ability to release it is there.

As much as they try to stop him, they won’t be able to.

His first goal last night is proof of that.. it wasn't an easy puck to get, but he wasted no time.. that's a goal in the NHL.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I'm of a different opinion. CC doesn't need anyone to open up spaces for him. He can find the quiet spots all by his lonesome. What he needs is someone who can find him with decent passes. Between Suzuki and KK, Nick is the better passer-playmaker.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm of a different opinion. CC doesn't need anyone to open up spaces for him. He can find the quiet spots all by his lonesome. What he needs is someone who can find him with decent passes. Between Suzuki and KK, Nick is the better passer-playmaker.

His IQ is off the charts. You just watch him move on the PP and you can see he is constantly in movement to open up a lane and get in position to shoot, he’s a 100% natural. He knows what he’s doing out there.

Reactions: Habs Icing

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
That Bouchard is giving privilege to Quebec players. The kind of call that we see often on this board and that puts you on my ignore list!! If you’re stupid enough to think that an NHL/AhL coach will put the team success in jeopardy by playing a lesser player just because he’s prioritizing the nationality, i don’t even want to ear your opinion.
I agree 100%. This is a business. Shenanigans like that do happen at lower levels of sports (although I am naive to the Quebec player vs non Quebec player treatment) but I highly doubt this is what is happening here. If you believed this was the case, the “biased” Bouchard sure speaks highly of the American Cole Caulfield in post game which kind of hurts your argument.....I can’t believe a media member would post something like that. Very poor taste.

Somewhat off subject but I love Québécois (I’m an American just in case it’s not already obvious lol). I do think it is cool to see an up and coming American superstar (hopefully) playing for the Habs in Caulfield but people/players from Quebec are frigging cool to me. I suck at French and pronouncing French words/last names but I wish I was good at it lol. Such a beautiful language and I love Quebec in general.

Reactions: Rickyy and Simarino

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yesterday must have been the best day of his young life. Wins NCAA top hockey honor and plays his first pro game scoring 2 and getting an assist, damn

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
McLeod will be good any day now

McLeod, drafted top-5 by the Habs in our board’s mock draft a couple years ago. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure we all veto’d that pick, and I took that spot and picked Kotkaniemi or Boqvist. Doesn’t matter... I woulda picked Brady “ugly face” Tkachuk before McLeod...

LOL, the outrage over that pick was hilarious. First time I ever recall forcing a change in a mock draft here.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
McLeod, drafted top-5 by the Habs in our board’s mock draft a couple years ago. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure we all veto’s that pick, and I took that spot and picked Kotkaniemi or Boqvist. Doesn’t matter... I woulda picked Brady “ugly face” Tkachuk before McLeod...

Different draft years entirely.

McLeod was rated like top 3 by Grant in Recrutes but that was the Sergachev draft, not sure who we mocked at 9.

Then there was the mock during the KK year where the GM took Boqvist and Grant quit HF over it not being KK.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Different draft years entirely.

McLeod was rated like top 3 by Grant in Recrutes but that was the Sergachev draft, not sure who we mocked at 9.

Then there was the mock during the KK year where the GM took Boqvist and Grant quit HF over it not being KK.

I must have gotten my McLeods mixed (I meant Ryan) up but the mock I was referring to was from that poster who hates Price. I think she refused to draft a European and picked McLeod of all people.

But yes, I remember Grant’s quitting HF over a mock draft (didn’t know it was 2018).

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
20210409_221813.jpg

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I agree 100%. This is a business. Shenanigans like that do happen at lower levels of sports (although I am naive to the Quebec player vs non Quebec player treatment) but I highly doubt this is what is happening here. If you believed this was the case, the “biased” Bouchard sure speaks highly of the American Cole Caulfield in post game which kind of hurts your argument.....I can’t believe a media member would post something like that. Very poor taste.

Somewhat off subject but I love Québécois (I’m an American just in case it’s not already obvious lol). I do think it is cool to see an up and coming American superstar (hopefully) playing for the Habs in Caulfield but people/players from Quebec are frigging cool to me. I suck at French and pronouncing French words/last names but I wish I was good at it lol. Such a beautiful language and I love Quebec in general.
You don't think this happens at the highest levels? You are naive. You only have to look at the Canadians management to see French nepotism has been going on for decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad