Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Wins 5-3: Caufield SZN Has Begun! (2 goals & 1 assist In His Debut)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
CAUFEILD OF DREAMS

WI5HIt6.jpg

Reactions: overlords

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
So I watched the Cole Caufield highlites of his debut. Little guy has happy feet, always moving and very quick. Happy hands as well, I guess that helps.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If he's going to be replaced by an even better player, obviously, I will not complain. I'd imagine there are not many centers better than Weal at this level. I think a #1C is a bigger need for Laval next year than a scoring winger.

depends if Poehling is back or not and Vejdemo as they want Hillis to be a center so he's got to have a full time spot next year imo.

Just not a big fan of the way Weal has played this year.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Never mind all that. Does he end up with a girl, in the end? :D

We're coming from a place where posters have or have had Romanian girlfriends from the Kabana and exotic Japanese life partners. Cole has to deliver on this front, otherwise, it'll be a just list of incomplete scenarios. :sarcasm:
He'd better not be hitting on any of our posters' girlfriend. We all know it ends up with a trade to Nashville.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
not me, I'd rather have a better AHLer, Weal trys to do too much on his own. Since I'm not expecting Caufield to there, I'd like to see us get a scorer like Terry, Hudon, etc...

That's the thing though, how did RHP earn it when they had like a week of practice? There was no playoffs and they said the focus was going to be on development, so shouldn't a high 2nd round pick in Ylonen or if Timmins had his way Hillis would have been a 2nd rounder as well. Brook as a 2nd rounder, shouldn't they be the guys they look to develop the most? Not undrafted FA's like Schueneman or 7th round picks like RHP?

It was the same with Alain, the guy had no business starting the season on the 2nd line, so why did he start there and why did he end the season on the 4th line? Clearly Bouchard made a mistake and he corrected it. All coaches make mistakes, and he fixed his which is what you want to see. I complained about it at the time, and I said good move when he fixed it.

RHP is different as he clearly works much harder and is very involved in the pla and it was the right call as RHP started off great but when he had 2 goals in 18 games, he could have looked to get Hillis more time then just a few mins on the 4th line. While winning is great, with no playoffs I just would like to see Hillis get more of a chance, nothing wrong with that.

I said nothing about Ouellet and Veilleux as Ouellet is on the 3rd pairing so what's there to complain about? Veilleux worked his way up the lineup, he's earned it for sure and I want to see him brought back. Teasdale is looking like a very good pickup by Bouchard so good work there.

There's nothing wrong with pointing things out we don't like. I don't like Brook not getting PP time, as I'd like to see him get steady work there, not every 2nd PP in place of Fleury though at least he started getting top PP time now that Leskinen is up and Fleury injured.

I agree that Brook should get PP time over Schueneman, Ouellet ect, He is in yr 2 of his professional carreer and should be given increased responsabilities IMO, on another side, Schueneman is possibly the best pure puckmover on the team, so I understand Bouchard to give him ton of PP time too..

Hillis is pretty young, 1st yr as a pro and has been injured alot in his past junior seasons, so personally I dont se him as a "must play him alot kid yet". I dont really care where they have been picked personally and I dont think thats what matter the most for the Habs brass too, they are going for merit and Im fine with that mentality as far as Im concerned... RHP is a late round pick and Teasdale is an undrafted, both players forced their way on the top 6 and fully deserve their minutes IMO.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree that Brook should get PP time over Schueneman, Ouellet ect, He is in yr 2 of his professional carreer and should be given increased responsabilities IMO, on another side, Schueneman is possibly the best pure puckmover on the team, so I understand Bouchard to give him ton of PP time too..

Hillis is pretty young, 1st yr as a pro and has been injured alot in his past junior seasons, so personally I dont se him as a "must play him alot kid yet". I dont really care where they have been picked personally and I dont think thats what matter the most for the Habs brass too, they are going for merit and Im fine with that mentality as far as Im concerned... RHP is a late round pick and Teasdale is an undrafted, both players forced their way on the top 6 and fully deserve their minutes IMO.

Teasdale for sure as he started on the 3rd line and worked his way up. RHP not so much, though he did a really good job with it, but when he struggled badly to score goals and was on the top line and PP, they could have looked to work Hillis in more somehow imo. I have said countless times I fully trust Bouchard and that he's my favorite AHL coach, when posters were bashing him so much up until this year, I stuck up for him. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does.

I had no problem with him putting RHP out there in place of Caufield with the open net. I did however question the Alain move, RHP getting 1st line out of the gate though he was right and I was wrong since RHP started off so great. But then when he wasn't scoring they could have looked to get Hillis in a little more since he had not played a game in over a year. He's a top 15 prospect for us no matter where he was drafted (I think they should be looking at that, if they that Timmins is one of the top scouts, and if they don't then he should be replaced). So if the organization trusts Timmins then his top picks should get playing time over a 25 year old undrafted undersized blueliner imo. Or a 7th round pick if he's struggling to score goals on the top line/PP. Look at Ylonen, starts on the 2nd line but earned his way up to the top line and never looked back. Poehling as well, Teasdale.

I just don't see the harm in questioning some of the moves he makes and that's from one of his biggest supporters on this site.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Meh...it's not the same league. He'll get hit at some point...but it's not going to hamper him much. He has a sniping bullet so he can score from the perimeter.
Hitting will hamper him very much.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Hitting will hamper him very much.
Even if he proves to be less effective in 5 on 5 play the threat he poses playing the half wall on the power play will greatly increase our power play’s efficiency as opposing teams will have to chose between keying on either CC or Weber.
From my perspective, I was pleasantly surprised by the speed he could generate. I think this kid will be an impact player in the NHL as he has been at every other level he has played in.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I have no clue how violent the AHL is, all I know is there has never been a better time to be a small forward in the NHL.
Of course, hockey remains a violent sport where checks and fights happen, but you can't compare to Howe days.
Yes you can. A very good 4th line player in the NHL can take you out in seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad