Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Rocket @ Hartford Wolf Pack - Laval lose 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Seems like our GM can't even build a winning AHL team…..no to mention that some of these players were originally sign to make the big team (Peca, Hudon, Ouellet, Alzner).

But there's also the "Oh so great Bouchard" who didn't do anything good so far at a pro level but some are ready to give him the keys of the Kingdom right away. He's been put on a pedestal without even coaching one game in the AHL and without any kind of results, medias are still licking his ass cause he does great interview. Got nothing against Bouchard but like Ducharme, i won't applaud those move from Bergevin or those two themselves before they give some results.

This organization top to bottom is in trouble.

Reactions: Tyson

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think he understands this is his last season in north america, so he's just gonna sit back and collect his 800,000 and google Swedish cities/broads.
He's taking a lot of dumb shots out there, probably the result of frustration. Unfortunately, unless you're a player of Belzile's, Vejdemo's or Jevpalov's type I'm not sure you can thrive under the kind of system Laval's playing. It will be quite amusing if proven AHL stars like Barber, Varone or Hudon will all end up being disappointments. And frankly, it does not paint a nice picture regarding Bouchard's competence. All this talk about modern approach to the game and here they are, grinding in a way that would make Michel Therrien proud.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
this organisation is a mess...

we got a few players with heart but Bergevin is counter productive he goes out against his mvp goalie and leader Price about how he should win a cup not noew but maybe in a gee years.. he goes against his own leaders.. Weber Price Petry want to win now. but Molson Brushes them off like they dont know what they are talking about.. says the carreer depth player.. the guys that says to previous legends Loyalty is for dogs.. keep in mind Markov was always signing cap friendly contracts and when 1 year he tries to get nore money he gets insulted in the big stage... MB thinks he is some sort of hockey guru with credentials? has he ever won anything? he loads up his AHL team with players that dont want to be in the AHL and with a coach that always pushes the players to do the impossible and treats veterans like shit if they do what he says.. in this era it doesnt work that way.. you need to make as much people happy to create a team chemistry at least to win.

at some point all the negative stuff that comes out remains in the memory of the players and thats how a team spirit starts to crumble.. its only begining of the year.. it should be too long before Bergevin feels the pressure big time. Habs have no key players injured.. its going to be beautiful when that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milhouse40

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's taking a lot of dumb shots out there, probably the result of frustration. Unfortunately, unless you're a player of Belzile's, Vejdemo's or Jevpalov's type I'm not sure you can thrive under the kind of system Laval's playing. It will be quite amusing if proven AHL stars like Barber, Varone or Hudon will all end up being disappointments. And frankly, it does not paint a nice picture regarding Bouchard's competence. All this talk about modern approach to the game and here they are, grinding in a way that would make Michel Therrien proud.

You raise a good point, here. Bouchard sure can talk. Can he coach? I don't know that he can.

We'll see as he gets more experience but I have witnessed more inspiring coaching debuts. I just hope that, if it's the case he's another dud, we don't spend as long as we did with Sylvain.

Jukka Jalonen and Rikard Gröborg aren't doing much at the moment. Wonder if Joel Bouchard will ever head coach Canada to multiple WC wins.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
You raise a good point, here. Bouchard sure can talk. Can he coach? I don't know that he can.

I think he has some attributes that make a competent coach. He makes them work hard, they seem to be well organized defensively. With better goaltending this year, it should lead to more wins. On the other hand, I wonder if his motivation techniques don't rub some players the wrong way. And if at the same time they are your most skilled players, then you have a problem.

We'll see as he gets more experience but I have witnessed more inspiring coaching debuts. I just hope that, if it's the case he's another dud, we don't spend as long as we did with Sylvain.

For sure. I wonder if he has enough imagination to design a system that will get the best out of his best players. Getting grinders to grind is fine. But you have to have and idea how to pierce the opponent's defense in ways other then off the rush.

Jukka Jalonen and Rikard Gröborg aren't doing much at the moment. Wonder if Joel Bouchard will ever head coach Canada to multiple WC wins.

To coach our AHL team you mean?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
For sure. I wonder if he has enough imagination to design a system that will get the best out of his best players. Getting grinders to grind is fine. But you have to have and idea how to pierce the opponent's defense in ways other then off the rush.

Yuuuup. And not just a system, but a way to react and adapt. For example, John Cooper has a wonderful little system. Those short tic tac passes to leave the zone in 5 moves instead of 1 or 2 sure are pretty. When he went up against Torts though? The result wasn't very pretty lol. A coach should be more than a system, he should be at thinker that can get his guys to execute against a wide variety of systems.

To coach our AHL team you mean?

Yes, or as an Assistant NHL coach.

Reactions: Archijerej

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure about the Swedish guy, but Jalonen's reputation is indeed very high (haven't seen much of his teams outside international competition). Would be surprised if he was interested in coaching an AHL team.

Both have expressed interest in coaching in the NHL, but guys like Therrien and McLellan just keep getting job after job after job.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Laval basically have to coach the same system as the Habs? If that's the case it's no wonder some guys aren't shining.

Was always under the impression that the baby habs had to know the same system in case of call ups etc...so they could slide right in without having to learn a new system on the fly type of thing...could be wrong though.

Coach may be limited to a certain extent...

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Laval basically have to coach the same system as the Habs? If that's the case it's no wonder some guys aren't shining.

Was always under the impression that the baby habs had to know the same system in case of call ups etc...so they could slide right in without having to learn a new system on the fly type of thing...could be wrong though.

Coach may be limited to a certain extent...

Could very well be it! maybe that's why we suck both in the AHL and NHL and ruining prospects?

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Could very well be it! maybe that's why we suck both in the AHL and NHL and ruining prospects?
Would be cool if Julien was gone replaced by Ducharme...I think we would be in for a refreshing treat in the Nhl and Ahl

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yes, I've read it somewhere that they were supposed to play the same way.
But are you under the impression that Habs have problem scoring goals at even strength? For the last 90 games or so they are a top 10 scoring team in the NHL.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Yes, I've read it somewhere that they were supposed to play the same way.
But are you under the impression that Habs have problem scoring goals at even strength? For the last 90 games or so they are a top 10 scoring team in the NHL.
No not concerned as I realize the can score was mostly thinking some offensive players may thrive in a different system is all. It's no secret that although Julien changed it up a bit we still play a more defensive system..I guess

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The perspective I have is that the results are disappointing. The production from those we expect to put up points are not living up to it.... yet.

As disappointing as it is, I'm not discouraged or think this team and organization is on a downward spiral. In the AHL, you can go on a losing streak just as easy as you can go on a winning one.

Aside from the opening weekend against Cleveland and the first period against Belleville last Wednesday, the team has played well with a lot of energy. The area they need to really improve on is their 5-on-5 production. They are amazing on special teams (4th in the league on the PP and 1st on the PK). They need to really get going on even strength. If they can do that while maintaining the special teams successes, they will be dangerous.

As for Bouchard, he may not be the X's and O's type of coach, but he is a great motivator and gets the guys going. And so far, everyone who's ever played for him, loves him. They all say the same thing, he's demanding, but fair.

Also, after one year behind the bench in the pros, the way the team plays under him is night and day from before. They missed the playoffs last year, but they had a better season than the year before. They had 6 more wins, a 16-point improvement, and they lost 8 less games in regulation, so those are games they at least got a point out of that they didn't the year before.

But here is where everyone needs to be happy Bouchard is running the development program. The prospects have actually improved under him.

For those who watched Evans and Vejdemo at the start of last year can attest to how much they've improved. Improved to the point there are conversations among fans of calling them up for the fourth line. Cale Fleury is another great example. Those of us who watched him at the start of last year can speak about the progress the kid made under Bouchard. The kind of progress that helped him force his way onto the Habs line-up.

Even this year, Poehling and Brook look better now 9 games in than they did two weeks ago.

Credit belongs to the kids, too. Who put in the work. But Bouchard has a hand in it.

There is also the case of McCarron, who was playing his best hockey under Bouchard since turning pro years ago.

That's how I view it. This year is far from over. And Bouchard may not be perfect and also has some learning to do, he is still in the right spot if nothing other than at least the development of the prospects.

Reactions: BigM2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Seems like our GM can't even build a winning AHL team…..no to mention that some of these players were originally sign to make the big team (Peca, Hudon, Ouellet, Alzner).

But there's also the "Oh so great Bouchard" who didn't do anything good so far at a pro level but some are ready to give him the keys of the Kingdom right away. He's been put on a pedestal without even coaching one game in the AHL and without any kind of results, medias are still licking his ass cause he does great interview. Got nothing against Bouchard but like Ducharme, i won't applaud those move from Bergevin or those two themselves before they give some results.

This organization top to bottom is in trouble.
THIS

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Would be cool if Julien was gone replaced by Ducharme...I think we would be in for a refreshing treat in the Nhl and Ahl
The new coach would inherit the same GM, strategy and most importantly, he would inherit an inferior roster so no coach who replaced Julien would be any better. A new GM with a sound rebuild is needed.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Take a look at the last 20 NHL drafts and notice how horrible this team has fared at drafting and developing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad