AHL announces divisions for 2015-16

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
The solution is obvious: Adopt the NCAA D1 Hockey Pairwise ranking system. Allows for game imbalances and creates a fair ranking system.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
The more obvious solution is to go by points. If the AHL West teams decide to play fewer games, too bad for them.

"#210":

I agree in fact in my view all teams should play the same amount of games period.......

This makes the AHL Mickey Mouse as I see things..................

The league has lost creditability by allowing this...................

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If the West teams are punished points wise, then so be it.

Any other attempt to try to assist them in making the postseason is complete bull****. They asked for this. I couldn't care less if any of them never see the post season again.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Any other attempt to try to assist them in making the postseason is complete bull****. They asked for this. I couldn't care less if any of them never see the post season again.

Totally agree.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
For those hyperventilating about the imbalance in the number of games played in the Pacific, keep in mind that they're likely going to revamp the format of the Calder Cup. Check out the bottom of http://theahl.com/ahl-announces-alignment-for-2015-16-p197883 - news will out in early July of the actual format.

They could revamp the playoffs to be division-based - four teams from each division qualify. Yes, it helps the North and Pacific to be best 4/7 instead of 4/8, but at least you're comparing apples to apples in the Pacific, and considering there's not 32 teams, that's going to be an issue no matter what you'd do.

You could have four rounds - division semis, division final, conference final, and Calder Cup. In the ECF, home ice could be determined as it normally is, comparing points. In the West, when you have to compare Central to Pacific, you could either compare point percentage, or give home ice to the team with the better head-to-head record.

Or, hell, you could just flip a coin, or alternate home ice priority season-by-season - this year, Atlantic, Central, and East get home ice, while next year it's North, Pacific, and West.

Yeah, the Pacific is going to have an advantage with having 8 fewer games when compared to the other divisions. I've always wondered how the AHLers do three-in-a-row...and, unfortunately, we don't live in a Platonic world where everything's ideal.

This is a nice idea in theory...problem is that with the pacific playing less games then the rest of the league and especially it's own conference, it's virtually guaranteed that the pacific teams won't play all the teams in it's conference. So how do you do it then, when two teams meet who haven't even played head to head?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Amen....and thanks to dipshoot dave for bending over and turning the ahl into a complete and utter bush league.

SeanShapiro

Jul 21, 2015
Dave Andrews is concerned about it, but not troubled enough.

“We felt it was in the best interest of our league to allow the California teams play that schedule, which was their wish,†Andrews said. “I don’t want to make light of the difference in scheduling. But over the course of our eight-month season, eight games is not going to make or break the competitive advantage … it’s troubling. But not troubling enough for us not to do what we did.â€

http://wrongsideoftheredline.com/20...ng-enough-for-president-and-ceo-dave-andrews/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad