AHL announces divisions for 2015-16

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
These actually looks pretty good. Charlotte is a major outlier, but I imagine a big reason is because their flights to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Milwaukee set things up nicely. Would imagine to a lesser to degree, the same goes for St. John's being able to fly to Montreal and Toronto.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
These actually looks pretty good. Charlotte is a major outlier, but I imagine a big reason is because their flights to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Milwaukee set things up nicely. Would imagine to a lesser to degree, the same goes for St. John's being able to fly to Montreal and Toronto.

It's easier for St. John's. They used to fly to TO and drive to Wilkes Barre or Hershey. The New York State teams are a better match for St. John's

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I think they messed it up the AHL should have stuck with 3 divisions in each conference, easier on travel that way............

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
It's easier for St. John's. They used to fly to TO and drive to Wilkes Barre or Hershey. The New York State teams are a better match for St. John's

I'm hoping I'll be able to get up there to see the Amerks play the Caps. Seems like it's a fun trip.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I think they messed it up the AHL should have stuck with 3 divisions in each conference, easier on travel that way............

Although this way playoffs are simple for travel because they'd all be within the division. They haven't announced that but it only makes sense to do it that way now.

I was wondering how they were going to do it if the Pacific Division teams played fewer games than everyone else.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

St. John's has a direct flight to Newark too right? I imagine they use that route often when playing teams in the NE USA.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
It's once daily. Too much chance of a delay. I like that flight in the summer, too chancy in the winter for me.

IIRC they used to fly to MTL and bus it to New England

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Charlotte and the Texas teams are obviously the odd men out, but considering their even more pronounced isolation now, can't say I'm surprised or disappointed by the alignment.

Charlotte outlier aside, I really like that Central.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Charlotte is just as much of an outlier in the Central as Manitoba is.

A flight is a flight. Hershey is an eight hour drive from Charlotte, their closest Eastern Conference team.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Looking at this you don't realize the the upheaval in divisions until you really look at it. First the Atlantic is made up of 8 teams from 3 different divisions. The North is made up of 7 teams from 4 different divisions. Central division is made up of 8 teams from 3 different divisions. Pacific division is made up of 7 teams from 4 different divisions.

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Glad they lumped the TX teams in with California. Could have been rough watching the same 4 teams over and over. TX teams have to travel one way or the other, this gives them a relatively easy swing on a bus once they're in California.

Looking at this you don't realize the the upheaval in divisions until you really look at it. First the Atlantic is made up of 8 teams from 3 different divisions. The North is made up of 7 teams from 4 different divisions. Central division is made up of 8 teams from 3 different divisions. Pacific division is made up of 7 teams from 4 different divisions.

And absolutely none of this matters when the schedule is being created. Never has, never will

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Charlotte wants to be in the west for a couple reasons.

1.) It's easier for them to fly to Chicago and play the Midwest hub of teams.

2.) It's an easier sell to their non-hockey fan base when they advertise San Antonio, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee any other NBA markets I might be missing vs. Binghamton, Utica, Portland or any other eastern city.

They want it this way.... And, looking at the divisions they look fine because ultimately teams will play primarily within their division.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
5 divisions in 6 years for Charlotte.

Maybe next season they can join with California teams.

Well, 4 divisions if you consider that the South of 2012-13 was just renamed the West in 2013-14, when they traded Houston for Abbotsford. But yeah, a lot of moving around.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Detroit? For Grand Rapids?

Charlotte wants to be in the west for a couple reasons.

1.) It's easier for them to fly to Chicago and play the Midwest hub of teams.

2.) It's an easier sell to their non-hockey fan base when they advertise San Antonio, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee any other NBA markets I might be missing vs. Binghamton, Utica, Portland or any other eastern city.

They want it this way.... And, looking at the divisions they look fine because ultimately teams will play primarily within their division.

The last sentence is it - because they want it this way. Charlotte was probably asked what division they wanted to be in because they really did not naturally fit anywhere and they could be in pretty much any divisior without a major impact.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
And absolutely none of this matters when the schedule is being created. Never has, never will

Well, on this point, it has begun to matter more. Over the last few years the league had slowly started to balance the schedule more. Last season, for the first time, all teams in the same division played 8-12 times, while teams in different divisions played between 0-8 times. And most everyone played all their fellow conference teams (Charlotte and Syracuse being the two major exceptions).

So, I'm not saying the divisions matter a whole lot, but they do matter some, and matter a lot more than they did even 5 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad