News: Agent Allan Walsh: Max Pacioretty to LA was a done deal (pending extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Montreal, the team that desperately needs goal-scoring, has a boatload of cap space, because of contracts is committed to at most a “retool” rather than rebuild and where no big free agent wants to go to, has their perennial 30 goal scoring captain wanting to sign an extension and they won’t even discuss it with him... and they proceed to destroy his trade value.

Marc Bergevin everyone.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I don't despise him. I like him as a scout. Im not an insider so I cant tell you the reason for sure. But I can tell that there's probably a reason why you dont see many/any scout turns into GM. They know well(alot they study alot of teen) about Jr. hockey but not that much about actual pro player, about pro hockey characters. Also they maybe not aswell connected around the league, they dont have alot of others GM relationship. He never had to fix any finnancial situation,etc. I could go on forever

John Chayka was an expert in advanced stats before becoming G.M. of Arizona. Don Waddell was a scout before heading into the management position in Carolina. Jim Nill was also a scout before heading into management.

I'll stop there because most of the people who become G.M. start the same way, by becomimg an assistant G.M. either after being a player or having another position inside the team, wether it be scouting, player development or coaching.

Trevor Timmins started as a scout, got promoted to head scout and then eventually assistant general manager. He isn't even head scout anymore as far as I'm aware, tough he's still implicated in the scouting.

He definetly has a pedigree to become a G.M., wether you agree or not.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
John Chayka was an expert in advanced stats before becoming G.M. of Arizona. Don Waddell was a scout before heading into the management position in Carolina. Jim Nill was also a scout before heading into management.

I'll stop there because most of the people who become G.M. start the same way, by becomimg an assistant G.M. either after being a player or having another position insidd the team, wether it be scouting, player development or coaching.

Trevor Timmins started as a scout, got promoted to head scout and then eventually assistant general manager. He isn't even head scout anymore as far as I'm aware, tough he's still implicated in the scouting.

He definetly has a pedigree to become a G.M., wether you agree or not.
Exactly has you said they've become ASSISTANT GM to see how it work, to learn the job & then they became GM. Theres STEPS to follow before becoming GM. They have to learn how its done for few years they have to learn as ASSISTANT GM. & then when the owner things hes ready then theyll try him as a GM after hes make his classes... stop playing with me aint no fkg scout that going to be GM right away. The step is so big between being a scout & actually manage the whole team in all the aspect.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Telling me that Timmins should be next GM its totally non-sense. Yall just trynna argue just to argue without being realistic, not even a lî bit. Tell me they should hire Timmins as ASSISTANT GM for few years and then transition him as the GM wouldve make a lil bit more sense. But then I asked earlier, whats the quality he have ? Whats the attributes he possess in your opinion, for him to be a good GM.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Exactly has you said they've become ASSISTANT GM to see how it work, to learn the job & then they became GM. Theres STEPS to follow before becoming GM. They have to learn how its done for few years they have to learn as ASSISTANT GM. & then when the owner things hes ready then theyll try him as a GM after hes make his classes... stop playing with me aint no fkg scout that going to be GM right away. The step is so big between behind a scout & actually manage the whole team in all the aspect.

And what part of Trevor Timmins being assistant don't you understand? He's been assistant G.M. since 2014 lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180903-194747_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180903-194747_Chrome.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 12

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Telling me that Timmins should be next GM its totally non-sense. Yall just trynna argue just to argue without being realistic, not even a lî bit. Tell me they should hire Timmins as ASSISTANT GM for few years and then transition him as the GM wouldve make a lil bit more sense. But then I asked earlier, whats the quality he have ? Whats the attributes he possess in your opinion, for him to be a good GM.

I'd literally let you GM over Bergy at this point my friend. Beggers can't be choosers.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Can you please try to make some effort and dig a lil more then just the title attach to his name. Yes on paper his an assistant GM but then again try to see whats hes contribution as a GM. I will quote the official habs website where he's appear as ASSISTANT GM.
"Promoted to vice president of player personnel in July 2014, Trevor Timmins is entering his 15th season with the Montreal Canadiens. He oversees the Canadiens' amateur scouting system, including the annual NHL Entry Draft and amateur free-agent recruitment. Trevor also oversees the Club's amateur scouting staff, covering Canada, the United States and Europe."
So even tho he's an ASSISTANT GM, he is focus on the scout aspect of the organization. Hes not at the desk talking strategy for the team, is not there talking about players contract, hes not here trying to make transaction he dont even scout player from other team before a trade. He take care of the youth scout aspect thats his role in the organization.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Like you attached me the article but didnt even take the time to read it nice

So wait, let me get this straight.

I link to you an article with his entire description that also mentions he's assistant general manager and you still say he's not? Lmao dude that's not how it works.

He is assistant manager, not head scout.

He overseers the draft, free agency, manages the entire recrutment team and their schedule. He is also vice president of player personel, that in itself is a huge responsability and believe it or not he does have administrative duties. He also has a master's degree in management but everyone should have that when they aim for management positions imho.

Face it, he's an assistant general manager and he's in every big meeting they have and hears about everything. It doesn't mean he has a say in everything or the last word on anything, it just means that he takes care of the management.

Oh and I never said I want him as G.M. or that he was the best candidate, I said he is a valid one and a much better one then plenty of others, stop being so defensive.

By the way, you still have yet to mention why he'd be an awful candidate.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So wait, let me get this straight.

I link to you an article with his entire description that also mentions he's assistant general manager and you still say he's not? Lmao dude that's not how it works.

He is assistant manager, not head scout.

He overseers the draft, free agency, manages the entire recrutment team and their schedule. He is also vice president of player personel, that in itself is a huge responsability and believe it or not he does have administrative duties. He also has a master's degree in management but everyone should have that when they aim for management positions imho.

Face it, he's an assistant general manager and he's in every big meeting they have and hears about everything. It doesn't mean he has a say in everything or the last word on anything, it just means that he takes care of the management.

Oh and I never said I want him as G.M. or that he was the best candidate, I said he is a valid one and a much better one then plenty of others, stop being so defensive.

By the way, you still have yet to mention why he'd be an awful candidate.

Sounds pretty good to me, people would have a problem with him being a GM?

Reactions: CPTN71

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Montreal, the team that desperately needs goal-scoring, has a boatload of cap space, because of contracts is committed to at most a “retool” rather than rebuild and where no big free agent wants to go to, has their perennial 30 goal scoring captain wanting to sign an extension and they won’t even discuss it with him... and they proceed to destroy his trade value.

Marc Bergevin everyone.

I don't think there are lots of people involved with the Habs who see Patches in the team's long term plans. Unfortunate, because he's always been and still is a very loyal guy, but considering where the team is heading it is probably the best to just move on.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
With what was said in one of the biggest hockey-media market...I can hardly see that return.
Patches has no future in Montreal no matter what anyone says. He won't stay, team don't want him to stay.
If you are any of the other 31 gms, you don't give anything of value for a few months of Patches and you can have him for free at the end of the season. There is no restrictions in negotiating with his agent for a contract starting in 2019-20 even if negotiated today, and that's a given fact.

Yeah but trade deadline is another beast. There will still be auctions for disponible quality players and some will pay to get what they need. I don't think Pacioretty had any better value being trade during off season because his last season was really bad. But like i said, if he returns to his numbers or near, contenders in need will pay for that kind of player.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Marc Bergevin everyone.

Did you see Pacioretty play last year? He was terrible. This guy has hands of stone, everytime he'd touch the puck on the PP we'd lose control of it. Hes declining and i dont want him for how much money he wants. Heres to hoping we can find a sucker GM who'll overpay for him.

Reactions: CDN24

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was told from numerous Kings fans on here that Pacioretty was not a need.

I don't believe this rumor for one second.

Yes, because fans on a forum know what the inner thoughts and needs of their teams organization are. Multiple legit sources have confirmed this was a done deal, pending contract, so not really anything to doubt. Pretty much every team goes after players, that fans on here and elsewhere guarantee aren't coming to their team and then blam there they are. As fans, we may not like our teams going after certain players, but it means nothing in the scheme of reality.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Marc De Foy in JdeM said he has sources that Patches will refuse to negotiate a new contract during the 18-19 season. As if his value could be lower.

He wants a deal in place when the season begins or walks free in July 2019.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Marc De Foy in JdeM said he has sources that Patches will refuse to negotiate a new contract during the 18-19 season. As if his value could be lower.

Thats obviously pressure to be dealt as quick as possible... he knows a deal involving with him will have negociating talk before the trade, so it’s basicly saying, i won’t talk with any team for an extension if you try to trade me at the deadline. Pacioretty is currently holding bergevin by the balls. Bergevin is the worst GM the NHL ever had, looks like he has the biggest ego and the worst coms ever. Attidude is everything! Plot twist, Bergevin is the one with a shit attidude.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Agent tactics. Nothing new. I think everyone knew this to be the case. There will be no December extension.

Bergevin is the worst GM the NHL ever had, looks like he has the biggest ego and the worst coms ever. Attidude is everything! Plot twist, Bergevin is the one with a **** attidude.

He ain't even the worst GM in the league let alone the worst of all time.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I don't think there are lots of people involved with the Habs who see Patches in the team's long term plans. Unfortunate, because he's always been and still is a very loyal guy, but considering where the team is heading it is probably the best to just move on.

if patches is not in the habs long term plans, PRICE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN EITHER!!!!

Reactions: CalgarySnow

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Oh I’ll play this game. This happens end of season.

Promote MB to president of hockey ops. He’s well connected and seems to get along good with owners, agents, etc.

Promote Trevor Timmons to GM. Great scout, drafted really well but was constantly screwed by GMs trading or overruling his picks. Since TT isn’t a French guy, MB could still cover the media duties.

Promote Claude Julian to AGM because he gets paid either way. It created a top heavy management but creates a situation where CJ can be used to his strengths.

Promote Dominique Ducharme to Head Coach.

Hire Benoit Groulx as an AC

Invest money into the presentation and order MB to find ways to make the experience interesting during the rebuild.

Trade Patches, Byron, and Shaw at the deadline. Re-sign Byron to a one year if no good offers come. Don’t rush into bad trades.

Hold onto Petry for another year until Juulson develops then trade him for youth.

Hold onto Weber for a few years. When he’s getting paid less but has a high cap hit still, trade him to Ottawa or Arizona. Don’t rush the trade.

Build around Kok, Phoeling, Drouin, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Juulsen, Mete. These aren’t solutions, other players are likely to eclipse these guys. The young, talented guys though. It’ll take a couple more good drafts to build the pool though.

Keep Price (contract will prevent trade) and Weber as veterans. Weber wears the C to let Gallagher just be a player.

Plan is to be competitive in 4 years.

The team looks to be at the start of the path already, just keep building a deep, heavy prospect pool.

The asset management portion of the plan is sound but overall the plan is a failure and do you want to know why?

Like every past iteration of the Habs it relies on trying to put the best French person in each management role instead of the best person period.

The franchise needs to get over this fixation to have certain quotas of French speaking individuals running the team, or placing a premium on francophone players not for their skill set but their language spoken.

Reactions: JohnnyB11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad