News: Agent Allan Walsh: Max Pacioretty to LA was a done deal (pending extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
And you expect Patches to have a big rebound. I don't know many guys who while annoyed offer stellar rebound performances.

He doesn't need to suddenly become the beast he was three years ago. But I don't think he's completely done as a top line scorer, he can still be great and he showed flashes of that last year too (although that didn't last too long). Not to mention he's heading into a year that will make a big difference for him financially, we are talking about millions of dollars here.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Yeah Edmonton sure...

Problem is, if Price still plays good during the rebuild he can win enough games by himself to keep you off of highest picks. Habs will be mediocre for a long time.

How many games do you think he can win by himself?

We will see how his season starts but if he doesn’t come out very very strong, the Price of old is probably gone. If he is back, he becomes tradable again.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Price is tradeable Montreal would just have to accept a cap dump back in return for Price and not some imaginary overpayment for him?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Maybe, but why would anyone offer you what you will be happy with, when they can get the same player for much, much cheaper.

You are saying MB will stick to his asking price and just let Patches walk in next July ? Pretty sure every one of 30 other GM's will be happy to get a chance to sign Patches for free.
Maybe or just maybe there will be a few teams that really want him and knowing if they trade for him they have a better shot at signing him compared to trying to fight it out with 30 other G.M's come end of the yr.

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
What about 1st + JAD/Clague for Patch?
Muzzin should return a 1st, so it ends up the same thing

That offer is a little steep IMO but it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred (See Lucic trade). Now that Kovi is signed I don't think there's any room for Patches w/ the extension. Blake can't afford to give up assets like JAD or Clague for a one year player. I believe the ship has sailed for a deal, unless the Habs wait until the deadline.

Reactions: go4hockey

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That offer is a little steep IMO but it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred (See Lucic trade). Now that Kovi is signed I don't think there's any room for Patches w/ the extension. Blake can't afford to give up assets like JAD or Clague for a one year player. I believe the ship has sailed for a deal, unless the Habs wait until the deadline.

Didn’t Kovalchuk signed a couple of days before the draft? That means that they wanted and could afford both Patches (signed) and Kovy signed

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
How many games do you think he can win by himself?

We will see how his season starts but if he doesn’t come out very very strong, the Price of old is probably gone. If he is back, he becomes tradable again.

Probably like at least 5 ?

We'll never see 2015 Price again though. With Weber gone til December we have a case for worst defense in the NHL.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Didn’t Kovalchuk signed a couple of days before the draft? That means that they wanted and could afford both Patches (signed) and Kovy signed

Nope he signed on the 23rd which was day 2 of the draft. They worked on a Patches deal day 1 6/22 when that didn’t happen in comes Kovi. Could not afford both without moving money out and I don’t think that was ever in the plans. It was one or the other.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
If it ever came to trading Price , MTL could afford to take a cap dumb or two because that would signal rebuild and we can swallow any bad contract at that point .

To Pacioretty , it will be really interesting to see how much he is eventually traded for and how MB will prepare his speech to bury Patches to make himself look like the best GM of all time that every existed lol

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
and what are your suggestion about the retention and value back?

I dont even know but I think something like this is vaguely possible? No-one thought Luongo would ever get traded so it is possible.

We could offer Price for a goalie back (no-one really that good) and then balance salary with other roster players the other team might want to dump. It's a losing proposition to trade him but I don't see how paying him 10mil a year for the Habs current franchise makes any sense at all.

Id rather take bad deals from other teams that won't help prevent the Habs from really bottoming out than Price who is not someone you want on a team in need of a rebuild

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What sideshow? That was a very informative interview.
Seems like your trying make something out of nothing.

The distraction that is Pacioretty and the team's treatment of him and how they've pretty much thrown him under the bus and made him to be the spotlight of the team's failures. The entire focus heading into camp is on what the team decides to do with Pacioretty. It's been the topic of discussion all summer, which has clearly caused tension between the player and the organization, so much so that his agent came out in public and made statements on his behalf.

Clearly I made something out of nothing and I'm making all of this up. I guess you could conjure this up as nothing if you have your head buried in the sand.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The distraction that is Pacioretty and the team's treatment of him and how they've pretty much thrown him under the bus and made him to be the spotlight of the team's failures. The entire focus heading into camp is on what the team decides to do with Pacioretty. It's been the topic of discussion all summer, which has clearly caused tension between the player and the organization, so much so that his agent came out in public and made statements on his behalf.

Clearly I made something out of nothing and I'm making all of this up. I guess you could conjure this up as nothing if you have your head buried in the sand.
Watch hockey much? This happens every yr. UFA's, RFA,s Players go on the block all the time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Watch hockey much? This happens every yr. UFA's, RFA,s Players go on the block all the time.

I guess it happens all the time in Montreal. When was the last time a UFA to be drew this much attention a year before his contract runs out? Hell, this situation in Montreal is drawing more attention than Erik Karlsson and whether or not he'll remain a Senator.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I guess it happens all the time in Montreal. When was the last time a UFA to be drew this much attention a year before his contract runs out? Hell, this situation in Montreal is drawing more attention than Erik Karlsson and whether or not he'll remain a Senator.

Well obviously, in Montreal they like to make a big deal out of nothing when it comes to Habs.
So imagine when it's something a bit bigger, like this situation, it gets huge.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Tavares
Stamkos
Lebron

It’s one thing to have this as a sideshow, it’s another that TSN makes an entire show based on where Tavares will go and what lead to him not signing in NYI. It’s yet another thing for that show to air as a lead in to a world juniors game 7 months before he hit free agency.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Walsh has certainly helped create the "schism" between the team and Pacioretty. Blaming everything on management without thinking about who is in charge of what we know is stupid.

Last edited:

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Agent Walsh, a Montreal-native himself, is a good choice for a player that want to wrestle himself out of MTL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I can see a few interested teams waiting (while unusual) 10-20 games in, both to see where they sit, and how Patches is looking. Same parameters though, unsigned, low return, agrees to extension, maybe more money. Maybe teams would feel a little more comfortable on his "comeback" seeing him for a part season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Walsh has certainly helped create the "schism" between the team and Pacioretty. Blaming everything on management without thinking about who is in charge of what we know is stupid.

We just had his new agent call out management for being the source of the leaks. He wasn’t his agent until the fallout on draft day, and there were tons of rumors on a potential Pacioretty move before Walsh ever entered the picture.

What’s with the Habs lemmings who staunchly defend the buffoon who dealt a Norris Trophy candidate for the older and more expensive dman who is on the downside of his career?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Tavares
Stamkos
Lebron

It’s one thing to have this as a sideshow, it’s another that TSN makes an entire show based on where Tavares will go and what lead to him not signing in NYI. It’s yet another thing for that show to air as a lead in to a world juniors game 7 months before he hit free agency.

Didn’t hear as many rumors about any of those names being traded a year before they hit the market. Just speculation on where they’ll sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad