Admit it, swallow your pride and say what players/teams you were wrong or even right about

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
it's a compelling argument forsure but you have to think you're dragging down RNH or Draisaitl by making either of them play 3rd line minutes. And also you can just look at the stats, when Draisaitl and McDavid are together the Oilers win more games then when they're separated.
Not doubting you, but any idea what the actual stats are on that?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
wrong:
-jbo and perron being terrible players. I've hated both with a passion for multiple seasons (sometimes justified) but they both played solid enough this season. I'll eat that one.
-Ovi being done as an elite scorer a couple seasons ago. He's still putting up great numbers.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Well theres no rivalry, with them being in a diff conference. So I want to see them do good. Actually make the playoffs. This is getting ridiculous.

They should know better not to stack the top line with McDavid and Drai. Let those two make their lines work. If they want to put RNH with Conner then fine. Just saying I dont by the whole " our wingers suck thats why we dont make the playoffs" when Pens had the same problem. Yet their Centers were so good they not only carried the way for awhile but helped develop those wingers into decent players. Oilers need to let that happen

You obviously don't watch the Oilers much... they tried to separate them a few times this season and it was not as effective as when they were together. Not by a long shot. The Oilers DO NOT have the winger depth to run 2 lines let alone 3 effective scoring lines.

They were doing what was best to win games... that shows you just how bad their options are. Happens when you literally have no 1st or 2nd line caliber wingers. Even Chiasson is arguably an over-performing 3rd line winger.

The Oilers had 6 players over 10 goals - 3 centers, 2 wingers, and 1 defensemen... The Oilers had a guy slotted in at top 6 that had literally no goals the entire season. He played a fair amount of the season in a top 6 role as well. Take that one in. Nail Yakupov would have been an upgrade likely on most of our wingers... not even joking.

It's not about stacking talent in E-town, it's about not having the talent to spread to begin with.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every time I've watched Monahan he seems like a disengaged floater and I pegged him as an annual 50-60 point player mooching off Gaudreau. Clearly I was wrong.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
Islanders is one that stands out to me. Throughout the whole season I was saying they would die off, yet here we are with them sitting in a spot with home ice.

Jeez, wish more Leaf fans were honest like you. All we heard from hundreds of other Leaf fans were the Islanders were a tire fire and Tavares left a laughingstock to go to a true "Cup Contender". There really should be many more talking about how wrong they were. Many guaranteed the Islanders would finish bottom 5 especially with Tavares leaving. In no scenario whatsoever could they even contemplate the Islanders finishing better than the Leafs this year. Wish I would have bet some of them back, I'd be retiring this week.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Jeez, wish more Leaf fans were honest like you. All we heard from hundreds of other Leaf fans were the Islanders were a tire fire and Tavares left a laughingstock to go to a true "Cup Contender". There really should be many more talking about how wrong they were. Many guaranteed the Islanders would finish bottom 5 especially with Tavares leaving. In no scenario whatsoever could they even contemplate the Islanders finishing better than the Leafs this year. Wish I would have bet some of them back, I'd be retiring this week.
It wasnt just Leaf fans who thought they would be a tire fire. They were #1 in goals given up last season and they were subtracting Tavares.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
just a quick post entirely off memory so i'm sure i'll miss a lot

good:

I think I did a pretty good job predicting how Sabres players would do,I had Skinner pegged at ~40 goals and 10th in goal scoring which is pretty much exactly where he ended up and I had Eichel pegged as a 90 point guy which again was pretty accurate,Dahlin I had at a Doughty type rookie year which he did a bit better than offensively but I don't think I was too far off there overall either

I had Larkin pegged as a just under point per game guy which also ended up being spot on

I had Strome and Vrana pegged as young breakout candidates and I think I did a pretty good job with that as well

I thought Barzals production would drop a bit which it did end up doing

for teams I didn't really make many specific predictions but I was most confident about Ottawa being in last place which ended up being totally accurate but honestly anyone should have seen that one coming,Vegas ended up pretty much exactly where I expected them to be too

bad:

not a ton comes to mind that I was totally wrong about mostly stuff I was only a little off on and not really willing to concede

probably my biggest miss as far as players go was Elias Lindholm who I was not at all expecting to have a season like he did

I also thought MacKinnon would regress to around a point per game player which didn't end up happening

as far as teams go again I didn't really make a ton of specific predictions but Montreal is definitely my biggest miss here I had them pegged as a bottom 5 team and they ended up almost making the Playoffs,conversely the Kings and Flyers both definitely underperformed my expectations

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

Tavares did leave a tire fire of an organization. However, they are no longer a tire fire. Hiring competent hockey people has done wonders, especially because the Islanders roster still doesn't look on paper as it has performed on the ice. If he were to have played this year and leave at the end of this season, then it wouldn't be fair to call the organization a tire fire. They are clearly on the upswing.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I thought Laine would score 50 goals and become the face of our team.

He shit the bed bigtime this season.

disgstd.gif

Reactions: Mitts

Bezer

Aug 30, 2009
Calgary
As a Flames fan, I give some love to some rivals.

Edmonton: I thought they would FINALLY be better but nope same ole same ole.
They were my dark horse for the division title. But after looking at their forward lines, and their defence for that matter, wtf was I thinking. Garbage..

Vancouver: I thought they would be waaay worse. I’m talking, bottom 3 EASILY.

But a really good coach and some decent players (Horvat is one of my favourite players, not better than Monahan tho) players lead by Alien they shocked me.

Maybe a shot at playoffs next year?!

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I thought the Leafs would be top two in their division and more points than last season. Didn’t expect a regression

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Ill comment on only Finnish players since I really didn't Make much predictions about Any others

Wrong:

Kotkaniemi: I thought he wouldnt stay up for whole season. Lets alone play as good as he did.

Laine. Well I expected him to Pot around 50 and improve his game. Next summer he better sleep with his skates on and work with a figure skating coach 24/7.

Heiskanen kinda. I knew he was ridiculously good. Didn't think hed be this good in NHL straight off the gate.

Right:

Rantanen establishing himself as a elite player.

Aho: See above

Puljujärvi finally confirming himself as a bust. Even our trash news papers, that Lauded his Every point, have give up on him.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I expected Laine to be better than last year when he potted 44 goals. I was very wrong, but still have high hopes for him to once again dominate the scoreboards.

He has had an issue with his off-season training. He's been on a program with about zero skating / stickhandling / shooting for 3,5months in the summer of 2018.

Let's pray to god and every other possible thing that he quits that shit and starts to train like hockey players.

If he does that, his next season might be just gigantic. If not, it is going to be even worse than the current season.

Last edited:

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I thought Matthews would finally crack 74 points. I was wrong.

Here is a graph of his PPG in each of his game streaks. (Every streak separately)
Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png

He clearly gets tired after 10 games or so.

His PPG average after 10 games has been around 0,82-0,85 (depending on the season), with his ppg average for the whole streak being around a maximum of 1.00.

If he would have played a full season this year, he would've gotten about 76 points in total.

I predict that he is never going to lead the league in points.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Domi- thought it was a terrible trade at first.

Bergeron- thought he would decline from his usual production nevermind have a career year.

Calgary- never thought they would be this good.

The west- overall thought they would be a lot better

Crosby- all tho my favourite player, didn’t think he would be this good.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Right: Kapanen and Johnsson would replace the scoring of JVR + Bozak.

Many HF Boards pundits claimed that Tavares couldn't replace the scoring of JVR + Bozak + Komarov + Martin. I pointed out that Kapanen and Johnsson would and even if they fell a bit short, their defensive game would make up the difference. I predicted both players would hit 20 goals within 2 years.

Wrong: They both did it in one year.

JVR + Bozak = 40 goals
Komarov + Martin = 12 goals
Kapanen + Johnsson = 40 goals + better D game

All told, 12 less goals in 136 less GP and close to $17 M less salary.

Let alone Tavares' 47. Heck add Tavares in and that's 35 more goals in 54 less games and still about $6 M saved.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Everything about the Lightning except making the playoffs. I figured they'd at least do that.
I had the Kings as a borderline team. Boy was I wrong.
Had Anaheim in and Calgary out. Quite the opposite.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Surprised more people aren't eating crow regarding Vegas... again.

I was wrong about Sid. I didn't think he could hit 100 points again. Figured he would be 80-90 points with stellar defense. But, I also didn't expect Malkin to be underwhelming most of the season. And Kessel. Geno and Kessel had good stats, but their play left a lot to be desired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad