Admit it, swallow your pride and say what players/teams you were wrong or even right about

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I have to dissapoint you with this one. His lack of Liiga carreer Makes it so that Ive barely seen him play before NHL and his stint was short. Judging by junior national team showings and his stats he should be progressing just fine to Be a good 2 way Guy with good offensive ceiling. I didn't want to include guys I hadnt seen enough off.
Ah no worries ! Yeah I'm pretty optimistic, but I haven't seen him play a lot either.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Oh let's see, where to start.
Blues - I forget if I had them as a contender or a bust. Either way, I didn't expect this season from them.

RoR - Significantly exceeded my expectations

Penguins, Buffalo, Florida - Penguins missing the playoffs, Florida making it, and Buffalo being just outside looking in.

NYI - I had them on the inside but barely, I didn't expect the performance they gave.

Colorado - I predicted a major regression from them and that their lack of depth would have them on the outside looking in.

Max Domi/ Galchenyuk trade - Called Domi defensively challenged and unable to score more than 10 goals

Grubauer - Predicted a near Vezina season for him

East - I predicted the Atlantic would have Tampa, Boston, Toronto then Montreal as the top 4 teams in that order while the Metro would have Washington, Columbus and I think Carolina as the top 3 teams. The wildcard I predicted would be fought between Penguins, NYI, Florida and Buffalo. I got the Atlantic right, Metro way off lol

I predicted McDavid would get injured and miss a lot of the season due to players gunning for him and the fact that Edmonton doesn't support him. I was quite wrong about that.

I was way off on Drain, he did better than expected.

I predicted Lindholm would break out and reach his ceiling of 65pts and establish himself as a second line centre. He far exceeded expectations.

Calgary's success surprised me, I had San Jose running away with the West and SJ was my choice to win the cup.

I had Vancouver as last in the league, I did not expect EP to he as amazing as he is.

One thing I called really good was that b Tkachuk would get 45 pts. I'm still not sold on him being more than a 65 pt player. I was wrong in that I thought Zadina could hang in the NHL this year and Kotk would need a year to develop.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I thought Valtteri Filppula is pretty much done. But he's been one of the backbone for Isles. Change of scenery or great coaching, don't know.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I was wrong about HF. I never expected to see a thread like this. Accountability on an anonymous hockey board, where everyone is a salty know-it-all? wow

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Teams:
Habs, like most figured they would be next to nothing this season.

Players:
Crosby hitting 100, doubted it at the start
Thought Laine would have an even better year

Right about:
-Matthews injured again screwing over his year
-Sens doing absolutely shit

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Before the season started I predicted Greiss would win a Jennings. I just didn't tell anybody.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
An awful lot of folks on these boards have been dead wrong about Kessel for years, though would expect few to admit it

I don't think that's true at all. The book on Kessel, for years, has been that he's a highly skilled guy that can't be the go-to guy but who would be an elite complimentary player with flaws in his defensive game. How is that different than what we've seen the last several seasons?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Teams: I thought the Devils would be a playoff team.

Players: I'm starting to accept how wrong I was about Jonathan Drouin.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
An additional "wrong" for me. Dylan Strome. I thought he was going to be a bust. His trade to Chicago has certainly revitalized his career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think that's true at all. The book on Kessel, for years, has been that he's a highly skilled guy that can't be the go-to guy but who would be an elite complimentary player with flaws in his defensive game. How is that different than what we've seen the last several seasons?

He lost the Conne Smythe by a hair to Crosby in 2015, where led the team in scoring and averaged more icetime than Malkin. You’ve got to be splitting hairs pretty microscopically to suggest he couldnt be the “go to guy” that year.

I think you’re also underestimating just how often the phrase “Kessel sucks” used to be thrown around these boards.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Ducks surprised me with their amount of suckage. They usually find their way to worm into the playoffs, but I guess their luck ran out.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He lost the Conne Smythe by a hair to Crosby in 2015, where led the team in scoring and averaged more icetime than Malkin. You’ve got to be splitting hairs pretty microscopically to suggest he couldnt be the “go to guy” that year.

You also need to literally ignore everything that happens on the ice other than scoring to arrive at that conclusion.

Not to mention, you are pretending he was "the go to guy" on the team based on his point totals, but the reality, when watching the series, was quite clear that Kessel was not the guy that opponents keyed on, and pretending otherwise is just silly. We all watched the games.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Dylan Strome. On the Hawks he no longer plays tentative and makes plays I never expected from him. Shows what confidence can do.

Guess my Oilers will trade JP for Perllini and watch JP score 30 goals next season... lol.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I was right about Dcat having a 40 goal season. I knew Toews would have a bounce back season as he trained specifically in the off season to increase his speed and offence and with Q gone JC lessened his defensive responsibility and put that on Kampf and Kruger. I knew Kane would do well also but not to record year. I was wrong thinking that Seabrook could rebound somewhat hearing that he trained hard in the off season and lost weight and became skinny Seabs but realized he was the same old KFCeabs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad