Admit it, swallow your pride and say what players/teams you were wrong or even right about

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ill comment on only Finnish players since I really didn't Make much predictions about Any others

Wrong:

Kotkaniemi: I thought he wouldnt stay up for whole season. Lets alone play as good as he did.

Laine. Well I expected him to Pot around 50 and improve his game. Next summer he better sleep with his skates on and work with a figure skating coach 24/7.

Heiskanen kinda. I knew he was ridiculously good. Didn't think hed be this good in NHL straight off the gate.

Right:

Rantanen establishing himself as a elite player.

Aho: See above

Puljujärvi finally confirming himself as a bust. Even our trash news papers, that Lauded his Every point, have give up on him.

About the same for me. However I didn't think Rantanen would be over PPG this year.. I thought he'd end up with about 30 goals and 65-69 points while being better all-around.

Also I didn't think Aho would be THAT good.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I was wrong abut Buffalo I thought they were going back to the playoffs in 2018-19 with Eichel and Skinner

Columbus at 50 g had 59 pts Buffalo had 56 pts. Buffalo faced Columbus later in the season. starting with game 51 Buffalo had a 7 game home stand

they went 3-3-1 and tanked

Reactions: Roman Fell

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Didn't think Kotkaniemi would be as good so fast or be allowed to stick as C for entire year. Didn't think Domi would be nearly as good as he was. Thought Shaw would have another terrible year and remain a cap dump.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was completely wrong about the Flames, top to bottom. I thought hiring Peters was a mistake. I thought they lacked depth (I think they still do but their top 5 players are awesome). I thought playing Lindholm instead of Neal on the first line was a mistake (it worked out, even though Neal cannot produce without a true playmaker on his line). I thought their goaltending would completely unravel (unless Jon Gillies emerged as the true No. 1).

Oh, and it did not help that when I watched them play my Pens in Calgary early on they looked like an ECHL team.

Still not a believer, but major props to them for proving me totally wrong.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
About the same for me. However I didn't think Rantanen would be over PPG this year.. I thought he'd end up with about 30 goals and 65-69 points while being better all-around.

Also I didn't think Aho would be THAT good.
Well kinda same for Aho, but Ive learned from him that always expect The unexpected with him. Just seems like one of those guys whose hockey IQ will jsst propel him to higher and higher Heights alll The Time.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
i'd stay within our division. Otherwise, it would be too long.

Right :

Leafs fans still being as annoying as ever this season
Habs being a bubble team for playoffs/not a bottom 5 team (sadly, still missed with the highest points)
Thomas Chabot would carry Sens D

Wrong :

Johnsson being a tweener/healthy scratch (still find TML fans overrate him a bit) I'll wait for next year, but he seems solid
Brayden Point would regress a bit/be a 60pts player.
Boston missing the playoffs

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I thought the Canes were setting themselves up for a tank when we signed Mrazek to backup Darling

I mean, they very well could have been, so thanks Toronto for allowing us to remove Darling from the situation

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Thought that Barkov at best would be a ppg player and around 20-30th in the league in points.

Didn't expect Marner to take such a leap forward from last season

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I thought Ryan O’Reilly was more of an elite #2C who couldn’t elevate his game into becoming a legit elite #1C. It appears that he has done that this year.

I thought Tomas Hertl was destined to be a complimentary 1st liner or solid 2nd liner for his career. I didn’t think he could break out and score at nearly a point per game pace and become a borderline #1C with one of the best even strength scoring rates in the NHL.

There are a few other ones that pretty much everybody else was in the same boat as me on. I had absolutely no idea that the New York Islanders would be a playoff team, let alone finish top-5 in the NHL. But I’m not sure those are all worth mentioning.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I had a really good year as far as predictions go, but Karlsson did not perform very well in San Jose relative to my expectations.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Vegas, I figured they'd be a dud and be a candidate for relocation at this point. Maybe their success has something to do with it but whatever it is they've been quite the box office draw.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
  • Montreal performed better than I expected.
  • Las Vegas performed better than I expected.
  • Mitch Marner is a very good hockey player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I predicted Laine and Matthew's to score 45-50 goals this year.

Matthew's couldn't stay helthy, and Laine couldn't get out of his slump.

Next year per 82 Games, I expect 50 goal finishes from both.
That would be incredibly impressive.
Draisaitl is the only not Ovechkin to do it since 2012.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I was absolutely right about Matthews' point production.

I predicted before the season that he'd be on fire after every long rest, and that he'd cool off after 10 games to his usual 0.80-0.85 ppg level after that.

Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png

What I didn't see coming was Dubas giving him that dumbass 5 year deal.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
What I was right about:

I argued strongly before the season with anyone who thought the Kings were going to be a playoff team. I felt pretty confident they'd miss.

What I was wrong about:

I thought Edmonton would squeak into a wildcard spot and figured Anaheim was a playoff team as well.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Calgary Flames. At the same time I have to give props to THN. They called it. In their yearbook in September they had the Flames as one of the top teams in the West. I thought "That's a weird and random prediction. No way".

Alas, here we are.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Debrincat exceeded my expectations. I thought 30 goals at most due to his low shot volume in his rookie season. My god he blew that out of the water.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I thought Dylan Strome was done and Calgary's goaltending duo would have them squeeking into the playoffs.

Dead wrong on both counts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Calgary Flames. At the same time I have to give props to THN. They called it. In their yearbook in September they had the Flames as one of the top teams in the West. I thought "That's a weird and random prediction. No way".

Alas, here we are.

Calgary's always been one of those teams that look good on paper, but don't seem to ever match "on paper" with "on ice results". This year they finally did.

So while I didn't predict a first place finish, they were always a team where I'd think "they COULD do some damage one of these years" but until this year, always seemed to not put it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->